E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tuners

05-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Tuners

Car is an '07 335i

I'm going to get a custom tune to run my just installed meth set up and was debating whether I should go with one of the online/remote guys that I see people often get referred to or whether I should go to a fella i've been to before years ago that did a good tune on my old 320i.

So I gues what i'm actually asking is would a tuner in a tuning garage that tunes numerous brands of car need to treat anything different with the 335i?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscales View Post
Car is an '07 335i

I'm going to get a custom tune to run my just installed meth set up and was debating whether I should go with one of the online/remote guys that I see people often get referred to or whether I should go to a fella i've been to before years ago that did a good tune on my old 320i.

So I gues what i'm actually asking is would a tuner in a tuning garage that tunes numerous brands of car need to treat anything different with the 335i?

Thanks
Best to ask the tuner in question on how familiar he is with the platform. If he says that the most you can get from N54 or N55 engine is about 400HP then run away

I know there are few places in UK with the know how of MSD80/1, for sure one shop in Birmingham have done 500HP+ 335i.
Don't know them personally, but a friend of mine had his car tuned by them.

I personally use remote guy form USA and I'm quite happy with the results. There are some drawbacks to doing it that way though:
- takes long time to iterate your map (assuming few days for each revision and you have time/weather and place to log it and send back)
- requires data logging from ECU during WOT (MHD or similar)
- finding a spot or being brave enough to max. out your revs in 3rd gear on a public road/motorway ... you will be going a bit faster than our ridiculously low speed limit
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

They were the very reasons I got nervous about going the remote tune route. Multiple pulls and ridiculous speeds on an 'A' road or motorway.
Whilst i'm all up for that I already had a run in with the law previously doing just that when I went to MHD 2+ to see how my car responded. It didn't end well for me...
I spoke to a guy oversees who's price quotes included remote tuning for me while I was in a tuning shop. Thought it sounded odd at first but when I looked online I found a few local tuning shops which hire out their machines for exactly that.
Think you've given me the answer i'm after though which is that it's probably best to ask the shop about their experience with the platform since it sounds like there are variables which differ dependent on that.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They were the very reasons I got nervous about going the remote tune route. Multiple pulls and ridiculous speeds on an 'A' road or motorway.
Whilst i'm all up for that I already had a run in with the law previously doing just that when I went to MHD 2+ to see how my car responded. It didn't end well for me...
I spoke to a guy oversees who's price quotes included remote tuning for me while I was in a tuning shop. Thought it sounded odd at first but when I looked online I found a few local tuning shops which hire out their machines for exactly that.
Think you've given me the answer i'm after though which is that it's probably best to ask the shop about their experience with the platform since it sounds like there are variables which differ dependent on that.

Cheers
Glad to help!

Yes, I had a map done by a good tuner, but he wasn't following N54 developments and was adamant that 400HP was the max possible. He achieved 397HP crank by maxing fueling and targetting lambda 10.8 all the time while blowing mere 11PSI. He did several diesel cars for me with JTD engines and these maps were brilliant, but BMW N54 was not his cup of tea.

Even very experienced tuners have to learn new tricks when working on unfamiliar platform, so best to spend your time finding someone who have experience or hire that rolling road and use well respected remote tuner.

Once I will start loosing traction in 3rd gear during motorway pull, I will also switch to rolling road hire. I'm lucky to have a strech of open road with little traffic nearby, but it still bugs me every time I have to do the log.
Luckily I could do last set of logs in Germany on Autobahn!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

give bwchiptune a call,,he knows his onions as well as a lot more,,he can do live link ups with rolling roads around the country,,youncan only ask
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #6
748adam
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I use a very well respected tuner in france, Trebila on N54Tech website, he has tuned lots of N54 and is brilliant, advised me of a couple of minor things with my car before he really started to up the boost. no complaints at all here
      05-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

bwchiptune have a place in spain also..he tunes lots of "M" cars and has a near 700 bhp M 6
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #8
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks a lot guys.

I will definitely check them out.
Good to have it confirmed with user experience that not all tuners are created equal (at least dependent on the platform on which they are working).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:09 AM   #9
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone know of a UK tuner that doesn't require JB4 for their tunes?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Quantum have guys nationwide they also provide remapped for Birds.
I’ve had my remap on for a few years now & am very happy, not the most aggressive remap but no related reliability issues.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #11
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

Where are quantum based Chappers?
I'm in Kent too
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I had CIT-TECH do mine, Nick Howard but that was back in 2015. He is based in maidstone but he did the remap at my house.
If you'd prefer a rolling road remap there's JF Automotive also in maidstone. I believe they do their own mapping, I had them remap my gearbox.

Links attached

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JDqEbfh3ht565I

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...quJJg79Zb_o1_T

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...lnD3nocuLTevE5
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers Chappers.

JFA look like they know about tuning with blends. Have pinged Cittech a mail also for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
No worries john, post up how you get on.
I'm in Rainham where abouts are you?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Quantum have guys nationwide they also provide remapped for Birds.
I’ve had my remap on for a few years now & am very happy, not the most aggressive remap but no related reliability issues.
I agree, had their map on my stock + DCI and it was doing about 350-360HP.
Smooth and good fuel economy.
That was long time ago though, as my current map is pushing double that
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek View Post
I agree, had their map on my stock + DCI and it was doing about 350-360HP.
Smooth and good fuel economy.
That was long time ago though, as my current map is pushing double that
Yeah I'm happy with the engine & gearbox remap & with a couple of other light mods mine was at 370bhp before I renewed the tubs & that's plenty for me, it's quicker than an e9x m3 & f series 3/440i.
Yours must be a bit of a handful with that kinda power, I noticed after renewing my turbos that in less than ideal conditions I have to be a bit careful when putting all the power down, it's a hoot when it's dry & sunny though
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm happy with the engine & gearbox remap & with a couple of other light mods mine was at 370bhp before I renewed the tubs & that's plenty for me, it's quicker than an e9x m3 & f series 3/440i.
Yours must be a bit of a handful with that kinda power, I noticed after renewing my turbos that in less than ideal conditions I have to be a bit careful when putting all the power down, it's a hoot when it's dry & sunny though
Well, with traction control ON, it's fine and safe, but turn it OFF and you have to threat her like a princess, otherwise she will bite!
On damp I'm loosing traction in 4th gear at 3500RPM and on a dry and very grippy tarmac 3rd is on the limit of traction from 4500RPM to 6000RPM.

I'm loving it know, but even when the car was stock, it was a pleasure on a narrow, twisty roads. I plan on taking it to few race circuits, including Nurburgring to scare myself a little bit as I do not drive fast on a public, busy roads.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek View Post
Well, with traction control ON, it's fine and safe, but turn it OFF and you have to threat her like a princess, otherwise she will bite!
On damp I'm loosing traction in 4th gear at 3500RPM and on a dry and very grippy tarmac 3rd is on the limit of traction from 4500RPM to 6000RPM.

I'm loving it know, but even when the car was stock, it was a pleasure on a narrow, twisty roads. I plan on taking it to few race circuits, including Nurburgring to scare myself a little bit as I do not drive fast on a public, busy roads.
It should run some quick 1/4 mile times, there a rwyb at Santa pod on the first with Das Auto on the sunday
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It should run some quick 1/4 mile times, there a rwyb at Santa pod on the first with Das Auto on the sunday
I've got invitation to VMax200 event at the end of June
Just received it today, so I will go there to have some fun and open up my speedo a bit!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmanek

I laughed when I read this. I've been slowly upgrading to faster and faster bits over time and was actually going to go for RB's because I didn't want to have the hastle of blending fuels but after trawling through tons of posts decided that i'd go with meth before upgrading turbos.
On replacing my CP for an aluminium one a few days ago to give me the bungs for the meth and replacing my boost lines the car's been like it was when I first got a tune. A new car. Then when I went catless and upped the tune to cater for it. Another new car. I didn't expect new CP and boost lines to do anything at all but honestly the car feels like a new car again. Not in terms of having a huge power hike but in the way it dishes out the power. It's an absolute beast. I'm still getting used to the sustained shove back in the seat through the rev range and although I know i'll get used to it and want more I am for the first time beginning to wonder what i'm going to do with it.
Haven't even tuned for the meth yet and that's definitely going to feel like yet another new car. Am currently spinning through second and have to back off a touch to lay it down. Tyres are most likely a factor but I think i'll need to go LSD next.
So back to why I laughed. Assuming i'm on 400 - 420ish (FBO MHD OTS stage 2+ and inlets) what the hell must 600+ horses feel like .

Chappers I'm near to London. Chislehurst.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #21
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I laughed when I read this. I've been slowly upgrading to faster and faster bits over time and was actually going to go for RB's because I didn't want to have the hastle of blending fuels but after trawling through tons of posts decided that i'd go with meth before upgrading turbos.
On replacing my CP for an aluminium one a few days ago to give me the bungs for the meth and replacing my boost lines the car's been like it was when I first got a tune. A new car. Then when I went catless and upped the tune to cater for it. Another new car. I didn't expect new CP and boost lines to do anything at all but honestly the car feels like a new car again. Not in terms of having a huge power hike but in the way it dishes out the power. It's an absolute beast. I'm still getting used to the sustained shove back in the seat through the rev range and although I know i'll get used to it and want more I am for the first time beginning to wonder what i'm going to do with it.
Haven't even tuned for the meth yet and that's definitely going to feel like yet another new car. Am currently spinning through second and have to back off a touch to lay it down. Tyres are most likely a factor but I think i'll need to go LSD next.
So back to why I laughed. Assuming i'm on 400 - 420ish (FBO MHD OTS stage 2+ and inlets) what the hell must 600+ horses feel like .

Chappers I'm near to London. Chislehurst.
I went through the same iterative process and to be honest I wouldn't want it the other way! Every year new car for the past 4 years

If you drive like me, usually safe, but looking for the limit in the right place and moment, you learn to respect the car whenever it scares the life out of you, and it does it quite frequently with full throttle!

Pure joy to drive! I know there are cars with more power and faster acceleration, but there will be only few which are more exiting to drive as with TC off your right foot is the only thing between life and death.
PS. the feeling when you step on in and tires grip, front bonnet lift up as if you're taking off in an airplane ... priceless!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #22
johnscales
Private First Class
Rep

I hear that Lightmanek. Was supposed to have jogged this car on for a 996 turbo years ago which was roughly when I became MHD stage 2+ ready. When the car felt like it did I shelved the idea. More recently began to think about a 997 (albeit turbo prices were out of my reach at the time), then the community started talking about the inlets upgrade along with graphs and a youtube video popped up showing some 40bhp increase. I got the inlets and thought, shelve the Porsche this is just so much bang for buck yet again.
These cars are such a joy to have and mine has taken me on such a journey while learning so much about it. Sooo pleased I bought mine at a time when I actually wasn't 100% convinced about them all of 7 years ago. Only wish I bit FBO bullet sooner. Think I ran with just a JB4 for a good few years at first and it was actually only because that failed that I delved into the FBO world a couple of years ago. Since then yes, new car every 6 - 12 months.
Took a log this afternoon and all values are on the button (according to Interpreting MHD Datalogs document) which was actually better than when I last checked all of 2 years ago where it looked like my fueling wasn't quite up to it. Already feeling like 'Yeah, gonna get used to this pretty soon... what's next'.
Time to switch on that meth, just to check all is flowing well and then following a tune it'll be time for a new car.
Appreciate 1