E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330d: rough idle, hesitant under light load - thoughts?

05-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #23
stefank
Rep
Drives: 2008 330d E93 M-sport

Thanks for detailed answer, we will try all that tomorrow.

If EGR is a problem as it seems to be by far, I am wondering, is it possible to turn it off while leaving the DPF functional? My mehanic says it shouldn't be problem at all and that it won't cause any troubles to DPF, but as I read on some threads, opinions are mixed, some people say that EGR shutted off would "kill" DPF in some time. My DPF is in good condition, so I really would't like to have a smelly convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #24
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefank View Post
Thanks for detailed answer, we will try all that tomorrow.

If EGR is a problem as it seems to be by far, I am wondering, is it possible to turn it off while leaving the DPF functional? My mehanic says it shouldn't be problem at all and that it won't cause any troubles to DPF, but as I read on some threads, opinions are mixed, some people say that EGR shutted off would "kill" DPF in some time. My DPF is in good condition, so I really would't like to have a smelly convertible.
You have a few options

fit blanking plates
Software deletion to prevent it functioning (any ECU remapper should be able to do that)
Or a nice cheap fix is remove the vacuum line and insert a screw

As for the DPF it has no direct impact from my knowledge the DPF relies on thermostats (engine temperature) and depending on the DDE (Digital Diesel Electeonics) it may also check for Glow Plug faults but that depends on the DDE version, I've not heard of an EGR affecting the regeneration ever.

Remember however, there is a small possibility the valve could be held open with crud and doing things like blocking vacuum or deleting from ECU wont stop that so you would still need to check.

Disabling EGR will help keep your intake clean and run better due to cold air being fed into the intake all the time, hot smelly exhaust gasses most certainly doesnt help combustion, theres not really any drawbacks to be honest.. and given your DPF/CAT is in good running order as far as MOT wise you should still breeze through it!
Appreciate 1
stefank10.50
      05-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #25
stefank
Rep

So you suggest not even trying to fix anything about EGR system (as my mechanic too) and just leave EGR off+DPF on? I know that EGR theoretically does more bad than good to engine, only thing about DPF concerned me. What is the most proper way to do it, blanking plates+electronic shut down, or just one method of these?

You mentioned glow plugs, I changed all 6 of them just few days ago, so that is fixed too.

Here electronically shutting off EGR costs 70€, while I have an offer for both EGR off+remap on 275 hp/620 Nm for 250€, so that tingles me. However, in that case I am worried about the gearbox, will ZF6 handle (changed oil and filter last summer, good condition of gearbox I hope so) that massive torque well, especially as I often have driving style that is nearer to the racing track, than most of daily drivers, I am very familiar with the gas pedal. Yes, I had remapped cars before but I am a bit paranoic this time as I had pretty bad luck with this BMW, list of parts that I had to change is long.

Last edited by stefank; 05-07-2019 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #26
stefank
Rep

My mechanic unplugged some hose from EGR for testing purposes, fuel consumption went dramatically down (I'll say 2-3 litres combined, but I'll test it more precise when I get proper delete) and almost no side effects anymore (one or two times it was a little bit rough, but we suppose that it is because it's not properly deleted so it opens a bit sometimes, somehow).

Just ordered this set for EGR delete, thanks for encouragement. Hope it blocks all that is needed to.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/06-AGR-Delet...53.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #27
faraz4271
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d LCI 2009 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefank View Post
My mechanic unplugged some hose from EGR for testing purposes, fuel consumption went dramatically down (I'll say 2-3 litres combined, but I'll test it more precise when I get proper delete) and almost no side effects anymore (one or two times it was a little bit rough, but we suppose that it is because it's not properly deleted so it opens a bit sometimes, somehow).

Just ordered this set for EGR delete, thanks for encouragement. Hope it blocks all that is needed to.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/06-AGR-Delet...53.m2749.l2649
Hi mate did you manage to delete the egr? Did the fix the problem of rough rifle and misfires during cold start ? I have a 330d 2009 LCI auto with same issue of rough idle then revs shaking and car Mis firing while driving when it gets hot it gets bit better . Please suggest something
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz4271 View Post
Hi mate did you manage to delete the egr? Did the fix the problem of rough rifle and misfires during cold start ? I have a 330d 2009 LCI auto with same issue of rough idle then revs shaking and car Mis firing while driving when it gets hot it gets bit better . Please suggest something
If you have the M57 engine then unplug the vacuum pipe attached to the EGR valve. This will disable it so you can tell whether it's the EGR causing your problem. If it runs ok with it unplugged then you have your cause. That's how I diagnosed my EGR issue. I then had it mapped out, no point in physically removing it whe you can just switch it off. Add long as it closes properly.

A word of warning, when you unplug the vac line the check engine light will come on, but don't worry about it, it will go out when you reconnect it or have the EGR mapped out.
Appreciate 0