E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Cluster Odometer Problem!

05-10-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
iceman09
Rep
Drives: 2007 328

Cluster Odometer Problem!

Good Evening,

So here is the story... I have 2007 328i which needed a replacement instrument cluster after the MIL light gave out completely. I thought "no biggie, I'll just get one from an auto wrecking place locally". So I did, I bought one and I slapped it on.....MIL light worked and I noticed a "dot" next to odometer....researched it and found out its a tamper dot.....the cluster and the VIN on the car have a mismatch....I told myself I can live with it until I need to sell it. Well....after 80-100 miles of driving....the miles on the cluster swapped to the miles on the cluster which are 156K miles as opposed to my original 103K miles on my car. I researched a bit more and learned that the odometer will read the highest odometer reading between the cluster and main module. Well, I went ahead and bought another cluster with lower miles than my car and installed it.......turned on the car and drove for about 120 miles within a week and it has not changed...it still says 156K miles. So now, it doesn't read the miles my car actually has or the miles on the new cluster, it actually kept the miles from the first cluster I installed.

How can I fix this big mess? I bought a little EEPROM reader with a SOP 8 clip thinking I may need to access the EEPROM on the cluster but I don't want to make things worse! Could the miles on the car's module be overwritten by the higher miles on first cluster I put on? I'm scared that I may have lost my 103K original miles

If anyone can please help me out I'd appreciate it. I am also willing to pay anyone to have it done for me if it involves some special reprogramming.

Thanks a million!!

Bryan Miranda
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:26 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman09 View Post
Good Evening,

So here is the story... I have 2007 328i which needed a replacement instrument cluster after the MIL light gave out completely. I thought "no biggie, I'll just get one from an auto wrecking place locally". So I did, I bought one and I slapped it on.....MIL light worked and I noticed a "dot" next to odometer....researched it and found out its a tamper dot.....the cluster and the VIN on the car have a mismatch....I told myself I can live with it until I need to sell it. Well....after 80-100 miles of driving....the miles on the cluster swapped to the miles on the cluster which are 156K miles as opposed to my original 103K miles on my car. I researched a bit more and learned that the odometer will read the highest odometer reading between the cluster and main module. Well, I went ahead and bought another cluster with lower miles than my car and installed it.......turned on the car and drove for about 120 miles within a week and it has not changed...it still says 156K miles. So now, it doesn't read the miles my car actually has or the miles on the new cluster, it actually kept the miles from the first cluster I installed.

How can I fix this big mess? I bought a little EEPROM reader with a SOP 8 clip thinking I may need to access the EEPROM on the cluster but I don't want to make things worse! Could the miles on the car's module be overwritten by the higher miles on first cluster I put on? I'm scared that I may have lost my 103K original miles

If anyone can please help me out I'd appreciate it. I am also willing to pay anyone to have it done for me if it involves some special reprogramming.

Thanks a million!!

Bryan Miranda
You are have a problem now and I very much doubt you'll find a solution here. You must understand that what you are asking is illegal or at least 'frowned upon' in most countries.

You may have a completely legitimate reason now but you'll always be asked to prove what your current 'real' mileage actually is. And I don't think you can.

However, that's not to say what you ask is impossible. However, you'll probably be on your own and you'll need to do a bit of research. I'll point you in be right direction...for research purposes only of course.

1. Clarify if you vehicle mileage has actually changed. Remove the cluster. Plug in diagnostic equipment and read mileage from the CAS module.

2. If it has actually changed. Then you need research which modules in your car store the odometer reading.

3. You'll then need to research a way to return them to the 'real mileage'.

4. Last step would be to Virginize a used cluster and then code it to you're car. This step has a lot of information and you'll get a lot of help with this as it's no issue.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0