E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Creaking noise from suspension on E92

09-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Creaking noise from suspension on E92

Hi all,

I noticed that my E92 made a creaking/squishy noise when going over those small rubber speed humps in supermarket car parks and the likes. I thought nothing of it until it became more apparent on certain bumpy roads and standard speed humps.

I was a bit miffed by it as my car doesn't get used much and has only just hit 12,000 miles. However, I had a identical noise before in one of my old cars and it turned out to be anti-roll bar bushes.

I took it into my dealer, demonstrated the problem and they confirmed it was these bushes and replaced them under new car warranty. The noise went away and I was happy; until two days later it returned. It is now even louder and you can hear the creaking/squishy noise when driving over even the tiniest of bumps on the road.

I do trust my dealer and you can usually see these bushes under the bonnet. I can see that they are brand new, so not sure what else might cause this. It can't be the strut or shock absorber as its definetely a bush related noise.

Has anyone else had this noise on theres? if so what did they have replaced if it cured it?

Appreciate if someone can help. Luckily mines under warranty but I don't want too much of the original factory suspension components disturbed if possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
SiofChester
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d

If it temporarily fixed the noise, I'd say that the new bushes weren't lubricated properly and now the lube has gone, the noise is back
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiofChester View Post
If it temporarily fixed the noise, I'd say that the new bushes weren't lubricated properly and now the lube has gone, the noise is back
Would new bushes have to be lubricated though? As its rubber, I thought there is a limitation on how much you can lubricate them. I.e. using WD40 for example would damage them no?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
If it really was the ARB bushes that were replaced, there's no way you can see them from under the bonnet. Only part of the suspension you can see under the bonnet is the strut top mounts, and I wouldn't expect them to be lubricated.

Most common cause of noise from the front end is the ARB drop links that link the ARB to the McPherson struts.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

+1, the front ARB bushes are right under the car and only visible on a ramp.

Mine started squeaking a while back, on a ramp its an easy job to release them then rub in some silicon grease lubricant, never squeaked again.

BTW they're not really 'rubber' anymore, they'll be some synthetic compound.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

On the diesels you can actually see (and even touch) the ARB bushes. The diesel engines don't fill the bay as well as the petrol ones do as the engines are tucked right under the bulkhead, so you can see the bar right at the bottom (just above the undertray) on the very front, including the two bushes. Its definetely not the top mount of the struts.

I thought it would be the ARB bushes too, but the newer ones have made it worser. The ARB droplinks you can't see but i thought they would make more of a knocking noise as opposed to a creaky/squishy noise.

I have booked it in again, but just want to go in with all the info i can
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
SiofChester
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F06 640d

You lubricate them with a rubber lubricant (no, not KY lol) as like you say, WD40 eats rubber. Either way, the garage should lube them up and it'll go away no bother
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post

I thought it would be the ARB bushes too, but the newer ones have made it worser. The ARB droplinks you can't see but i thought they would make more of a knocking noise as opposed to a creaky/squishy noise.

I have booked it in again, but just want to go in with all the info i can
It probably didn't need new ones, just lubing the old ones would have done. Agree drop.links would more likely knock than squeak.

Birds BMW recommended to use the little white lube packets that come with BMW brake pad kits, any BMW garage will have loads of these lying about.

That's what we used and it never squeaked again. It also made the suspension feel more supple over small bumps as it wasn't fighting stiction in the bushes.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

I had these replaced with a revised part and also new rubber top mounts under warranty but it didn't solve the problem. Every time it's wet the fromt suspension creaks! Gave up in the end, just turn the radio up!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
I had these replaced with a revised part and also new rubber top mounts under warranty but it didn't solve the problem. Every time it's wet the fromt suspension creaks! Gave up in the end, just turn the radio up!
I'm starting to feel that mine might be the same. My car is a 2010 model and they said that mine defo had the latest part. I wonder if it could be something like the wishbone or the tension bushes that are also in the front?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93

i have this as well!!!! was wondering which bushes it might be as the noise is definitely bush related but could not isolate it to one part of the vehicle. sounded like it wwas both sides of the from suspension.

only noticed this when the rain started recently and it has been very annoying. planning to go to my indy this weekend to see what the damage would have been but thatnks for bringing it up guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

repost.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I was going to post up a very similar thread to this but I am interested to know what/how many arbs there are and can these be done DIY?

Mine is a 2008 and noticed yesterday when going over speed bumps the front near side seems to creak which I have not noticed before. Although mine is at 108k miles so due for a replacement

Does anyone what needs replacing/if there are any uprated bushes?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #14
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

funnily enough....mine seem to have just stopped!!! heard it for a few days and then nothing now..all back to normal....wierd
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on mine. BMW took out the new bushes they just fitted, cleaned the anti-roll bar and re-fitted. They said that they cannot grease them as their TSB stated to fit new bushes and not to lubricate them whatsoever!

Unfortunetely there was still a creaking noise. I took it back once again to the dealership, who said that this is just how it is (eventhough it now sounded worser than it actually did!!!) The dealership, after a bit of persistence, agreed to inspect the rest of the suspension components further, and if needs be, strip them and replace them at their own cost, as appropriate.

However, after about a week the noise seems to have disappeared for about 3 days so far #touchwood. Think i'll see how it goes, as I don't want BMW to disturb and replace too many of the original suspension parts. Hopefully this is doesn't return!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
Statler
Major Pain in the Arse
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M Sport

I'd bet it's your bump stops.

I had the passenger side done under warranty and now the drivers side is doing the same.
Sounds like a squishy "eh-eh" as you go up and over speed bumps in the road and it's more pronounced on the yellow/black carpark ones
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

If they do swap bits make sure they do a full KDS alignment as they didn't with me and the tracking was way out and started to wear the shoulder of my tyre (before i ditched runflats!)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

My suspension just creaks when wet.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
If they do swap bits make sure they do a full KDS alignment as they didn't with me and the tracking was way out and started to wear the shoulder of my tyre (before i ditched runflats!)
Yeah its going back in as its started once again. I kind of wished i didn't let them change them. It was way quieter than the new bushes but still noticable.

They said to me that the ARB bushes doesn't affect alignment and the shock has a locating pin so it won't affect alignment either. The only time they need to do it is if its a wishbone or trackrod end. Don't know if its bullshit or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statler View Post
I'd bet it's your bump stops.

I had the passenger side done under warranty and now the drivers side is doing the same.
Sounds like a squishy "eh-eh" as you go up and over speed bumps in the road and it's more pronounced on the yellow/black carpark ones
It is the same noise as you describe. Except, its on uneven roads, inclines and small bumps. More pronounce on those rubbery, super harsh car park bumps. Hmmm, thanks for that, I'll mention that to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

just out of interest the arb's on the lci cars have the bushes bonded to the bar, when the bushes wear the whole bar has to be changed, apparently a common practice now.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #22
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
They said to me that the ARB bushes doesn't affect alignment and the shock has a locating pin so it won't affect alignment either. The only time they need to do it is if its a wishbone or trackrod end. Don't know if its bullshit or not.
This is correct. The ARB has nothing to do with alignment. If they change your control arms of track rods then they definitely have to do an alignment.
Appreciate 0