E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Hybrid Turbo options and comparisons

01-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #155
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5d and 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
I suppose it would be possible to form an isolation between the IWG and turbine outlet with a custom made downpipe? Kinda have a shaped section for the IWG flow such that it protrudes into the area where the IWG is located? But it looks pretty tight in there already...
I agree, it is a tricky space. Someone should just figure out a EWG solution, lol.
An insert that blocks the IWG and transitions flow out the exducer to the exhaust pipe might be a nice touch.
I know a guy.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 07:45 AM   #156
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM35d View Post
Tim does all of the turbo work for BDP, and has a website with good info.
www.timsturbos.com
Thanks.

Quote:
I know a guy.
Does he whistle at deers?
      01-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #157
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Quote:
www.timsturbos.com
Thanks.

Quote:
I know a guy.
Does he whistle at deers?
Well how else you gonna tell them deers to get outta the road?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #158
petey_highboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
Are you just doing the large turbo or both?
Whatever Jess tells me to do hahaa, won't be till later this year.. Need to see what the car will run with the stock turbos first!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #159
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku
Quote:
www.timsturbos.com
Maybe I am blind, but I cannot see any good info, I just see their opinion about the thing, nothing more.
I´m still waiting the results ...

My opinion is that TDIwyse has proved here many times, that up to ~420hp level, the orig solution with EWG is the best, IWG works, but EWG is better.
My own experience about this is equal.
And I am not talking only for my own car, but I have done few these to other also ...

But, what happens above ~420 level, TurboTim do not know anything about that .

AiM have a good result, very good.
But I´m quite sure, that he could get the same result by only doing the all other improvements he done and nothing to the turbo wings.

For me, the main thing is understand the working principals and change the minimum number of parts, only what is necessary and let the others be there.
I have build many of these by this method - and they work, well.

The only solution, where turbine clipping can work, might be with orig compressor.

Work and AiM, nice to see you here.
Hopefully this don´t become an other Finnish BMW forum ...
Sorry, there is nothing specific to 335d data at that link. Not everyone Here knows different types of modifications that can be made to turbochargers, and generally this website gives a good idea (good info) of modifications that can be performed. Opinion is what you have given me.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #160
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

Quote:
Sorry, there is nothing specific...
Don´t
It is me here, who don´t know how to behave, my English is not quite perfect yet ...
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #161
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku
Quote:
Sorry, there is nothing specific...
Don´t
It is me here, who don´t know how to behave, my English is not quite perfect yet ...
Nobody is perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #162
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
Don´t
You seem to know how to be sarcastic just fine though

.....but we do appreciate you sharing what you know

Last edited by iaknown; 01-17-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #163
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@BPC View Post
Yes, its a tuned car, stage II tune, EGR blocked, and DPF removed. The double line is from me being slow on hitting the stop button as it kicked into the next gear, just forgot to trim it off before I posted it. As for the boost loss, what I think is happening is once the switch happens, the exhaust gasses from the smaller turbo is forcing the waste gate open since there is more flow and pressure hitting the gate and it cannot handle it. To test this theory, we disconnected the line that actuates the larger turbo's wastegate (meaning it should not actuate and stay closed) and it still did the same thing, big boost dip was still there once it got to the top of the rpm range it would rocket to 40psi.

edited before and after graph
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Interestingly, I don't think my IWG with stock wastegate had issues controlling boost creep at the upper rpm's. This would seem to agree with Bob's experience, but is different than iaknown's experience.
So back to this......I went back in my files and dug up some before and after logs from my piggyback around the time of my wastegate mod......very interesting. I found that you are correct Bob, (well sort of ) So before my wastegate mod I was hitting 35.5psi boost at around 3700 rpm. This was the peak through the higher end of the midrange that was triggering my code, and a little higher than Jarek had liked at the moment (what the limits were set to in the tune). I was also getting an increase in boost at the very topend too. I am not sure what hybrids BMW put on my car at the factory but regardless I cannot explain why my car makes more boost than others. Like I said, others had seen a similar thing in specific cars in Europe.

And some will say my car had a fault but I had gone through everything on the car by this point, new vacuum lines, boost sensor, boost solenoid/valve, checked the wastegate (confirmed the wastegate was opening and staying open with a camera), everything. Plus this was the same Stage 2 tune everyone else had with no issues.....the only difference was I was one of the few running open exhaust at the time. That's what drove me to port the WG. The wastegate mod shaved about a couple psi off, enough to get the max boost to where it should be and not trigger limp mode.

Now for the details....yes there is a dip after the turbos switch, but nothing like the dip in the car you had shown Bob, which I find interesting. I see a maximum of 5psi when the turbos switch. So I think your theory about the wastegate opening from the switch may be right on, but I have a few ideas to correct it......Is it currently costing me power? I'm sure it is, but at the time I did not have any other answers and didn't want to risk issues with my turbos. This was over a year ago and I think its safe to say many of us were still learning a lot about these cars (and I am one of the few pushing a Stage 2 w/stock turbos even harder with extra fuel and lots of meth injection).

All that being said, I am perfectly fine with admitting that the wastegate mod may not be the best idea for most cars and looks to cost power in the midrange. I am also glad to hear that it appears our stock turbos may be able to take a lot more abuse that we thought......I just didn't want to find this out the hard way.

In any case, most likely any power I cost my car in the midrange will not matter soon

Last edited by iaknown; 01-17-2016 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #164
zackz
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M-Tech E92 335D

Quote:
My opinion is that TDIwyse has proved here many times, that up to ~420hp level, the orig solution with EWG is the best, IWG works, but EWG is better.
My own experience about this is equal.
And I am not talking only for my own car, but I have done few these to other also ...
Based on your experience, on 335d models with the stock turbo setup, is it worth it to upgrade the R70 CP3 pump with the R90 one for a clean 410-420 hp/80-85 mkg smokeless tune?

The R70 CP3 pump seems to be ok in cold weather for that power level, but a little to small when weather is getting hot, am I right?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:39 AM   #165
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

To brake the 400hp line you need at least 105mg/stroke fuel.
Stock 283hp/560nm comes with 72-75mg fuel rate.

When fuel is cold - pump works ok.
Warmer fuel contains less power, so ecu correct that by increasing the amount. That is too much for the smaller pump.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #166
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
So back to this ...

Have you tried to adjust the exhaust flap.
I made a pic, hope that you understand, what I mean.
The biggest vacuum flap
Maybe the flap do not open enough ?

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #167
Charged
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

^Wastegate actuator
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #168
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged View Post
^Wastegate actuator
No, exhaust gas flap actutor, that devides exhaust gas between big/small turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #169
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackz View Post
Based on your experience, on 335d models with the stock turbo setup, is it worth it to upgrade the R70 CP3 pump with the R90 one for a clean 410-420 hp/80-85 mkg smokeless tune?

The R70 CP3 pump seems to be ok in cold weather for that power level, but a little to small when weather is getting hot, am I right?
Since I am also pondering staying with a stock turbo setup does it make sense in upgrading fuel pump to R90 and doing a remap for a balanced / smokeless tune with BPC or Jarek. I am not looking for 400+ hp but rather a reliable car with stock components (dps scr..). What would HP expectations be? with R70 pump 310-320. Would R90 bump it up to 350? would you also need LCI 535d injectors (13 53 7 809 194)?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #170
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried to adjust the exhaust flap.
I made a pic, hope that you understand, what I mean.
The biggest vacuum flap
Maybe the flap do not open enough ?
Thanks for the artwork

Are you referring to this causing high boost (the initial issue)? I did check the turbine valve actuator for something unrelated early on and all looked good. If anything I think this would hurt boost though, not give me more. Perhaps I am wrong about that.....

But maybe you are referring to the switch opening the wastegate in the midrange?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #171
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Thanks for the artwork

.... Perhaps I am wrong about that.....

But maybe you are referring to the switch opening the wastegate in the midrange?
Yes you are.
Opening the flap a bit more only calms down boost pressure behaving.
Opening does not do any harm.
Very small steps !
Turn more to "closed" position gives a very good response to throttle, but causes back pressure peaks.

Try, you surprised

Let the WG be as it is.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #172
Charged
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
No, exhaust gas flap actutor, that devides exhaust gas between big/small turbo
Thats what I ment, sorry bad english.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #173
zackz
Private
Rep

Quote:
To brake the 400hp line you need at least 105mg/stroke fuel.
Stock 283hp/560nm comes with 72-75mg fuel rate.

When fuel is cold - pump works ok.
Warmer fuel contains less power, so ecu correct that by increasing the amount. That is too much for the smaller pump.
Makes sense...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #174
zackz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
Since I am also pondering staying with a stock turbo setup does it make sense in upgrading fuel pump to R90 and doing a remap for a balanced / smokeless tune with BPC or Jarek. I am not looking for 400+ hp but rather a reliable car with stock components (dps scr..). What would HP expectations be? with R70 pump 310-320. Would R90 bump it up to 350? would you also need LCI 535d injectors (13 53 7 809 194)?
In your case you can stay with stock fuel components without problems, even in hot temps (approx 320 hp/700 N.m), the R90 pump will not bump numbers here
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #175
zackz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes you are.
Very small steps !
Turn more to "closed" position gives a very good response to throttle, but causes back pressure peaks.

Try, you surprised

Let the WG be as it is.
That's why the IWG vs EWG test should be done with the exhaust bypass flap disconnected (fully opened), in order to see the real effect of EWG on EGP and power...

In my stock software I can see that the bypass flap isn't fully opened at peak power (only approx 50 %), have you found some more power when tuned to be fully opened (and so maybe less back pressure) in high rpm's?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #176
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes you are.
Very small steps !

Try, you surprised

Let the WG be as it is.
I think you misunderstood me but its ok, we are on the same page now

I will certainly try this, thanks for the tip.....
Appreciate 0