E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stett CAI DIY or Install? Arrived today without install guide

09-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam View Post
Sorry. This looks like it worked if not i give up.
ok i just took mine out of the box...and it looks just like yours. so i'm pretty sure you got the right pieces.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
JRam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT AW/FR

Allright i was correct. The piece is too long. Its supposed to measure 11 inches to the front turbo intake, and 9 inches to the rear measured from the "V" of the intake y pipe. Mine is measuring 12 1/2 and 9 1/2. So obviously it wont fit. However, on the bright side, i spoke with chad today at stett and he was very helpful and definately a nice guy to boot. Apparently im just the unlucky one. Shocker. Also he said that they no longer have the taper on the end of the pipes to ensure a tighter fit. In my case, much too tight. So out comes the saw. More on this later.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #25
JRam
Private
Rep

Allright i dont think 11 and 9 is correct either. Is there someone out there with one installed that is willing to measure the length from the V on the y pipe to each of the intake runners? Then i could add the length of the flange on the stock pipe and cut the piece to that length. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #26
JRam
Private
Rep

One more thing......Did anyone have difficulty with the front diverter valve pipe/tubing whatever it is? Mine is definately not long enough to snake around the intake piping, and its actually very snug. There not too much room to play with. I dont know what i should do with it. In the picture on Stetts website they have it snaked in such a way thats definatly not possible with the amount of slack i have. thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam View Post
Allright i was correct. The piece is too long. Its supposed to measure 11 inches to the front turbo intake, and 9 inches to the rear measured from the "V" of the intake y pipe. Mine is measuring 12 1/2 and 9 1/2. So obviously it wont fit. However, on the bright side, i spoke with chad today at stett and he was very helpful and definately a nice guy to boot. Apparently im just the unlucky one. Shocker. Also he said that they no longer have the taper on the end of the pipes to ensure a tighter fit. In my case, much too tight. So out comes the saw. More on this later.
ok trying to install mine right now. believe it or not...mine measures 12 1/2 and 10 1/2

im going to try to cut the pipes to fit...since i already have everything out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

That is really unbelievable that Stett is delivering these pieces witht the wrong measurements...It makes me wonder about quality control here especially since their prices for their products are NOT cheap either....I hope you guys get it resolved, but I would be pissed if I had to actually cut it because unless you have a stationary jig, this is going to be some hack job!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

there have definitely been some changes made to this kit since FBIS review/install thread. not only were the pipes on the Y-pipe too long...the single piece shown in FBIS's kit is now 2 separate pieces...and those were too long to allow the air filter to sit down in the bumper properly. i played around with this for almost 3 hours after cutting both ends of the Y-pipe...i ended up hacking off part of the end where the filter sits in order to be able to fit it in the right spot. i really don't know what to say about this...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #30
JRam
Private
Rep

WTF right? Spent my whole sunday trimming each end of the Y pipe in order to get it correctly lined up in relation to the pipes for the filter. Luckily my old man was willing to help me out and he had the necessary saw and blade to get this thing right. IMPORT 36 make sure you look down the intake runners of the Y pipe and make sure your welds are good at the V. Mine was a complete shit show and we had to break out the torch to clean it up quite a bit. DEFINATELY look because over time these metal pieces could eventually become loose and find their way abruptly into your turbo, and then you know what happens next. so we cleaned it up good and made sure there was nothing that could ever come loose. BUT. My car is still in the garage apart. Theres no way to get the pipe in with the front stock diverter valve. Its much shorter than the rear one. I'm going to order another rear diverter valve and use it for the front turbo and have it overnighted from tischer. They are the same other than the length of the tubing correct? Also, if you look at the stock airbox that you took out, you can basically put the stett pipe up to that and thats the length you want it cut to for things to fit similar to stock. I hope you have a good saw. PM me if you get a chance i'd like to ask you something. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #31
JRam
Private
Rep

After reading back over this post, i realized i started this little project thursday night because i figured i could bang it out before dinner. So here i am on Sunday, and im still at least two or three days away from being able to drive it. I guess i could put it back to stock, but after going through all this just putting it back to stock will probably just infuriate me more.

Furthermore, after looking at the latest group buy post from stett, in their picture of the intake installed, they have this official ass power steering relocation bracket and in my kit i have some little mickey mouse L shaped horseshit. A, i want the better bracket, and B, i wish i knew i needed a longer front diverter valve before my car was torn apart. I could rant for hours but i will spare you guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #32
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

It appears somethings have changed in the kit. My intake charge pipe was a single piece. I think we need to let STETT respond before getting too crazy. Something apparently is not right here.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #33
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

Hey Guys,

Sorry you are having trouble. It's apparent that we had a couple slip through with runners that were too long. We'd be more than happy to send you replacements if you would like. The two smaller ends are the same size as the stock airbox so they should slide right in. Please put them up to your stock air box and check them. These

JRam: spoke to you on the phone just a moment ago
Import36: you have PM

We'll get this resolved for you asap, we apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #34
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Way to step up STETT!
      09-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #35
JRam
Private
Rep

They definately did step up. Chad was more than helpful and took care of me and made right by their mistake. Shit happens. At least he helped clean it up. Other than the miscut of the Y-pipe it is a very high quality product. I would do business with them in the future and i have only heard good things in the past about Stett. I think it was just an oversight on someones part and if anyone needs help installing one of these bad boys feel free to PM me. Good luck guys.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #36
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

JRam, good to see everything got cleared up. I had a good experience with STETT and I am glad you did too now.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:52 AM   #37
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

I have the same problem with the front DV hose. Mine is almost pinched. I have no idea how they managed to make it look like they did in the install pic..

It was a nightmare to get it installed around the DV hose and it still doesnt look quite right.. It's putting pressure on the hose and connectors and makes me very uncomfotable.

Also the instructions do not pretain to the M-sport front bumper. There is no where for the kit to draw air from. I'm going to have to go back in and make a place or something if I leave it on.

The front DV hose issue is really worrying me though.. Its putting alot of strss on the hose and connector.

My kit was two pieces.
Appreciate 0