E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Serpentine Belt Install Problem

10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

E90 Serpentine Belt Install Problem

So the other day while driving i noticed my serpentine belt came off. I knew because the A/C stopped, Power steering didn't work, and the battery light came on.

I took the belt off and didn't notice any wear or tear so i decided to reuse it. Still didn't know why it came off in the first place. But i put the belt back on via unloading the tensioner. Afterwards i go to start the car and noticed that the belt is still running but it looks like it is about to fall off the tensioner.

I tried several times to put it back on, which it is perfectly on every time i do so, but after the car starts up and the belt starts to run it slips almost off. I can actually pull it off with my own hands when the car is off.

Attached is a picture. Let me know what you guys think the problem might be. Do i need a new belt? Or maybe a new tensioner?

EDIT: Also i noticed other pictures of tensioners and it seems that my tensioner is missing the actual bolt. The bolt is suppose to be blue and my tensioner doesnt have a bolt at all i think, it just looks like its hung on to something white.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
dc5pat
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

Seems like the bolt head broke off from the tensioner. That's why your belt keeps sliding off. Had a bad tensioner on my car but my belt wasn't that off like yours. Just replace all of it at the same time. tensioner, belt, idler pulley, bolt. I got all mine from RM european for about $100.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2700 View Post
Seems like the bolt head broke off from the tensioner. That's why your belt keeps sliding off. Had a bad tensioner on my car but my belt wasn't that off like yours. Just replace all of it at the same time. tensioner, belt, idler pulley, bolt. I got all mine from RM european for about $100.
This is correct. The tensioner mounting bolt broke and the tensioner is only hanging on by the pin. You need to fix this before you drive the car again.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2700
Do you know if RM European carries genuine BMW parts? Or are they aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocDawgg View Post
LocDawgg, just get a new bolt and re-install everything. The belt looks good, but if it is damaged somewhere from slipping off, then replace it. It is about $30. Unless the tensioner is broken, or the bearing is bad, leave it be.

Spend the money on a set of easy-outs, because you're going to need one to get the bolt shank out.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
LocDawgg, just get a new bolt and re-install everything. The belt looks good, but if it is damaged somewhere from slipping off, then replace it. It is about $30. Unless the tensioner is broken, or the bearing is bad, leave it be.

Spend the money on a set of easy-outs, because you're going to need one to get the bolt shank out.
I actually got the bolt out with some needle noses. So you think the tensioner should be still good to use?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I ordered the same parts from them. When you look at the part it will let you know if its oem. Replace idler pulleys while you are replacing tensioner.
      10-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
I ordered the same parts from them. When you look at the part it will let you know if its oem. Replace idler pulleys while you are replacing tensioner.
So is it OEM? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yes. Some "OEM" parts are actually made by other companies. I think the belt is contitech but its the OEM part BMW used.
      10-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually got the bolt out with some needle noses. So you think the tensioner should be still good to use?
If it doesn't make noise and the bearing isn't rough when you spin the pulley (it should have some drag to it), I don't see why it would be bad. The only other part is the spring. If you can, mount it in a bench vice and see how strong the spring tension is and how well it moves through the tension of the spring. If it doesn't stick, then I'd continue to use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2700 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If it doesn't make noise and the bearing isn't rough when you spin the pulley (it should have some drag to it), I don't see why it would be bad. The only other part is the spring. If you can, mount it in a bench vice and see how strong the spring tension is and how well it moves through the tension of the spring. If it doesn't stick, then I'd continue to use it.
Whether the tensioner is bad or not is irrelevant. Might as well replace it if the bolt broke and you have the tensioner in your hand.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post

Whether the tensioner is bad or not is irrelevant. Might as well replace it if the bolt broke and you have the tensioner in your hand.

I replaced only the bolt and cleaned off the tensioner. It was still working fine. Car runs good now no problems
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
I replaced only the bolt and cleaned off the tensioner. It was still working fine. Car runs good now no problems
For the next ------ miles. But hey, you might get lucky.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
For the next ------ miles. But hey, you might get lucky.

Yeah i might, and if it does fail then i will just replace it. Its not very difficult to do and would take less then 10 mins or so.
Appreciate 0