E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMWNA denied warranty because of exhaust

04-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

BMWNA denied warranty because of exhaust

Last week I brought my car in because it was smoking, turned out to be a faulty valve cover causing the problem. Tech submitted a PUMA case to BMWNA explaining the problem and mentioning that there was an exhaust on the car. The email back from BMW says

"due to modifications to the vehicle this will not be covered by warranty"

I only know this because the SA gave me a copy of the email. Fortunately, I guess the dealership got them to pay for it somehow, as it was fixed free of charge. BMW is getting ridiculous though..to void warranty on an engine problem because of an exhaust? I will never buy a BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Did you have dp's on the car or just catback. If it was just catback I say fight for your warranty. If you lose then look on the bright side and start modding becuase you have no warranty to lose.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well as of yet I havent lost the warranty, but Im not messing with BMW anymore. This car constantly has problems so I think Im gonna keep it stock. Mostly put this up as a warning for those who are worried about warranty. BMW will deny for ANYTHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Did you have dp's on the car or just catback. If it was just catback I say fight for your warranty. If you lose then look on the bright side and start modding becuase you have no warranty to lose.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
onefastman
Major General
Rep

I am sorry to inform you that from what you have said, it is my understanding, that your warranty is as good as gone for the powertrain.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

My SA told me that if you leave anything on your car, including intake, piggyback or aftermarket exhaust, BMW may void your warranty.

I plan on going the BMW Performance exhaust route. They have no problem with it, so I can leave it on my car when I take it in. Anything else on your car should be removed prior to a dealer visit. I would scan using the BT tool to be safe as well.

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah, dealership GM assured me this was not the case, but Im guessing next time I go in there with an issue its not gonna be pretty. BMW sucks

Quote:
I am sorry to inform you that from what you have said, it is my understanding, that your warranty is as good as gone for the powertrain.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Is your car "flagged"? Mine is and my sm told me it is as good as gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

NO, I asked if it was flagged and he said no..even pulled up the screen and showed me. Doesnt mean it wont get flagged in the next couple days though. I really dont understand why the BMW rep said to deny warranty and then didnt follow through. Guess I got lucky

Quote:
Is your car "flagged"? Mine is and my sm told me it is as good as gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Count your blessings and ask for a print out of the form for future use if bmw changes their mind
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
this type of issue is such a "grey area" -- its pitiful.. especially how some dealers will handle issue like this.

there is an express statement in the Limited Warranty that comes with the car that states modifications can adversely affect the performance of the warranty, but in no way excludes them --

the specifics surrounding the failure is sole grounds to nullify warranty coverage. sometimes the dealer representative (SA/SMgr) do not translate the correct information to corporate, and then things get blown out of proportion.

thats just like saying if you install a set of lowering springs on the car, and you have a cooling system failure, that the warranty is nullifed on the whole car. (unless you decrease ground clearance and something smacks the bottom tank, or hose... )

if the system is modified, and a part in that system fails, then the appropriate qualifiers are in place. --- ie if you added a supplemental cooling tank to the existing cooling system, then and only then could this type of consideration be justified. modifying alters functional characteristics --

that defeats the purpose of buying a car.. or at least puts a damper on it
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
BoxerGT2.5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
This is precisely why I warn people to read their new vehicle warranty carefully and understand the risk they take when they make "alterations" to the vehicle. While a valve cover leak may be a stretch, no one can expect a manufacturer to warranty a product in a form they did not sell it.

+1

If you don't think Subaru or Mitsubishi does this your nuts. I brought my LegacyGT by the dealership and they just about laughed their asses off.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you have a secondary cat back exhaust?

DP back exhaust?
or turbo back exhaust?

usually messing with anything before the secondary cats and your in the clear. once u remove the secondary cat and on, you may be in for some warranty troubles.

My good freinds who work for bmw told me i can put any mufflers/resonat or delete or w.e. behind the secondary cat i want and it wouldnt even tickle my warranty. But once i mess with anything past that point i am on my own.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
onefastman
Major General
Rep

The secondary cats SHOULD not affect your warranty but they can try and say that there is an issue, where you get into trouble is when you have a turbo issue with dp's
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post
My good freinds who work for bmw told me i can put any mufflers/resonat or delete or w.e. behind the secondary cat i want and it wouldnt even tickle my warranty. But once i mess with anything past that point i am on my own.
That makes sense, but if BMW gets upset because i install a catback, i will never buy another BMW again. If you make a car "aimed at enthusiasts" you have to expect enthusiastic actions. I understand things have to be within reason, but an intake or exhaust (catback) is not going to upset the conditions of the car. Heck, variances between individual engines is larger than the delta of a car with these mods vs one without.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Stock exhaust, 2nd cats removed. I also have dp's but I dont think they even noticed. The issue was specifically with the exhaust/cat removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LUMI335 View Post

DP back exhaust?
or turbo back exhaust?

usually messing with anything before the secondary cats and your in the clear. once u remove the secondary cat and on, you may be in for some warranty troubles.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

I wonder if they can pull this shit for aftermarket wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The secondary cats SHOULD not affect your warranty but they can try and say that there is an issue, where you get into trouble is when you have a turbo issue with dp's
They shouldnt, but if the dealer wants to compllain about it and put it in there notes, bmw can hold it aganist you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
That makes sense, but if BMW gets upset because i install a catback, i will never buy another BMW again. If you make a car "aimed at enthusiasts" you have to expect enthusiastic actions. I understand things have to be within reason, but an intake or exhaust (catback) is not going to upset the conditions of the car. Heck, variances between individual engines is larger than the delta of a car with these mods vs one without.
BMW is new to the tuning game and im sure they are only trying to protect there money and warranty claims.

Hence when they made the BMw performance exhaust for the E90/e92 they didnt touch the secondary cats, only resonator (per e90) and the mufflers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
Stock exhaust, 2nd cats removed. I also have dp's but I dont think they even noticed. The issue was specifically with the exhaust/cat removal
More then likely the Cat removal.... GL man, and next time remove your performance mods when going in for a warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
If your suspension componetes or related items are affected because of the wheels and bmw thinks it probably is, they can do w.e. they want since its not OEM.

Just remove them before service. And what also helps if the size to your aftermarket wheels, are in all aspects to oem specs/size.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Wait a second. You have removed your 2nd cats and have aftermarket downpipes.

And you are wondering why BMW might have flagged the car?

Thread fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
NO, I asked if it was flagged and he said no..even pulled up the screen and showed me. Doesnt mean it wont get flagged in the next couple days though. I really dont understand why the BMW rep said to deny warranty and then didnt follow through. Guess I got lucky
Maybe, but valve cover gasket is not too expensive to replace in terms of labor and parts.
If it's blown turbo with no cat, aftermarket DP and exhaust, BMW may not be so generous.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Why dont you tell me how a bad pcv valve is related to my exhaust? And in case you didnt read, they DIDNT NOTICE the DP's. The issue was with secondary cat removal. So yes I think its important for people to know that BMW will void warranties on engine issues that have nothing in common with an exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Wait a second. You have removed your 2nd cats and have aftermarket downpipes.

And you are wondering why BMW might have flagged the car?

Thread fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Absolutely..they have refused to fix the nonstop rattling in the interior of my car due to my m6 rims. Car has rattled like crazy since day one of owning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
Appreciate 0