E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Good bmw sapphire black swirl remover for griots DA?

07-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Good bmw sapphire black swirl remover for griots DA?

I have a Griots DA arriving today, along with set of lake country pads. I also bought Meg Ultimate compound, and some #205, that I plan on following up with 3M cleaner wax, and 3M performance finish.

Looking to get the swirls out of my hood, along with a pretty bad scratch I put in with a ding dang jelly blade (I know it was stupid..)

I already 2000 wet sanded the bad scratch, and buffed it with a makita rotary and 3m compound, and it is almost gone. (can see it in the sun at the right angle)

Will the Ultimate compound make it less visible or does it not have enough cut?

This is my first use of a DA, do the polishes I bought sound correct for the paint on my 06?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

I had great luck with Pinnacle Ultimate Swirl Remover followed up with Pinnacle Finishing Polish. 3M makes a comparable product as well at a lower cost.

Don't forget your pads have varying degrees of cut in them as well. I use Grey, Black and Red.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Yes this is all very new to me. I think i'll practice on my jet black e36, paint is very swirled on that one. Did you have to order your polishes or are they available at a chain store?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
If you've already wet sanded the area and hit it with a rotary depending on how aggressive you were I would just leave it if it's not too bad. If you have a gauge to measure the depth then go at it and try to get it out.

I think if the rest of your car looks pristine one little scratch isn't worth chasing due to the risks involved with not knowing how much clear you have left.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0