E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > "Please insert Nav DVD" message... but it's in there!!

12-04-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe

"Please insert Nav DVD" message... but it's in there!!

Has anyone experienced this? My car is still in the early stages and I'm just getting use to everything. (Just reached 100 miles this evening)

Well, I can't remember if I did what I'm about to explain, but even if I did... I doubt it that would be related.

I came out from a meeting and turned the car on, but I think I kept the keyfob in my coat pocket and stepped to talk to a buddy, about 20 - 30 feet away from the car. The car did not turn off... but like I said, I'm not sure if I in fact kept the keyfob with me, or left inside.

In either case, as I'm driving I notice that the Nav screen isn't displaying my direction of travel, but rather has trip info: miles left, miles traveled, etc. And when I try to switch back to Nav, it displays the message asking for the DVD to be inserted. But the DVD has always been inserted. It's then that I thought maybe it had to do with me keeping the keyfob in my pocket and me walking away... ??

So I push the DVD eject button, and nothing comes out... in fact it didn't even make the noise as if it were trying to eject. I then come to a light, so I decide to turn off the car, and back on to see if it cleared it.... nope, same thing.

Finally when I get home, I turn off the car, open the doors as if I were getting off, wait about a minute and turn it back on. Then for the first few seconds the same message appeared asking for the DVD, but then it went away. And it seems to be working since... I drove it for a few miles and it seemed fine.

But can anyone perhaps tell me if they've experienced this? Thank you in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Somebody was playing a trick on you. If you ejected, and nothing came out, there was no disc inside. They probably put it back and no it works. Check to see who has the other keyfobe.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's funny man.... but you know what, that's exactly what I thought. I had a passenger with me, and I thought for a while that he was messing with me. But when we got home, he got off... I stayed back, turned off the car like I explained and back on. And it's then that after a few seconds everthing seemed fine.

So I know that he had not taken the DVD out, nor did he put it back in!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Damn, is the first I've heard of this. If it keeps happening, contact the service dept at BMW. Make sure the disc is Authentic and no scratches on it. My friend played this trick on me 2 years ago in my Infiniti. The DVD player was under the seat. My buddy had his DVD disc stolen from an install shop. So be careful who you leave your car with.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No, the DVD is brand spankin' new. When the CA delivered my car, I saw hiim put it in and I haven't taken out it since.

Who knows what happened? Thanks for your input though!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 01:06 AM   #6
gmoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh I'm sorry... I didn't realize there was a forum specifically for these types of issues. Thank you for moving it!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Yeah, after my software update I got this every now and then if it was very hot. Drove me nuts in the summer. Only time that happened..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
bimmernupe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
I have a better one. On my ED in Oct. I had the Euro Nav disc my Ca lent to me. It seemed like the part of the disc where Tuscany to Nice then up through Geneva is written kept giving me a disc error. In Germany, Austria and down to Bologna the disc worked perfectly. Anyway, the point of this is that we would have to eject the disc and re-insert. Even sometimes get out of the car with the fobs, walk away about 50ft and come back to the car. The disc would eject then. Well the morning we where leaving Firenze the same thing happened. First time we ejected and put it back in. Then after driving a while and not paying attention after putting the disc back in, we look at the screen and it says Please insert Disc. We're like it is inserted. After about 30 minutes of pressing eject, we start asking for direction to a BMW dealer. After about 45 min of searching up and down this street with a milion other manufacturers dealers we find the BMW dealer back off in the cut. And it is closed. I'm like what time to they open it's like 0930. Then I realize why everything is closed, it was All Saints Days. So we pull out the my direction I printed at home just in case and use the Blackberry. As we start to drive something says push the eject button on the CD player. And sure enough the disc came out.
My girlfriend and I both with three degrees between us had a laugh for a good ten minutes. I k now this was not the OP issue, but I figured I would add my experience.
      12-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

If it happens again, do not turn the engine off, as it will accomplish nothing unless you also wait for 5 minutes or so.
Instead do a reset of the iDrive system by pressing the volume button and the two eject buttons simultaneously (it might take a few tries). The iDrive will reset and eject and pull back in whatever you have in the iDrive DVD and the CD drive.

If it continues to happen call in for service. I had an issue where the disc was not read any more and it started intermittently and became more common until the disc was not read at all any more. They replaced the whole CCC (computer+drives) unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
This SIB may apply to this issue:

SI B 65 24 07
Audio, Navigation, Monitors, Alarms, SRS August 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
CCC Navigation Map DVD not Detected

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) with SA 609 (CCC Navigation)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 (CCC Navigation)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E70 (X5) with SA 609 (CCC Navigation)

Vehicles produced from 8/31/2006

SITUATION
When entering into the navigation system, the screen only displays "Please insert DVD", even though a DVD map is inserted in the drive.

CAUSE

Incorrect map DVD

CCC software or hardware error

PROCEDURE
On a customer complaint basis proceed as follows:

Always verify that the correct map DVD is used (identified by DVD-CCC). Try a known good map DVD and see if the problem is resolved.

Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Programming and Coding with Progman) Procedure B, using Progman 25.00.00 or higher.

If the fault is still present, replace the DVD drive. Refer to Repair Instructions RA 65 83 580

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

Refer to EPC
DVD drive

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.

If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.
Appreciate 0