E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Seat retrofit and module issues

02-15-2024, 10:12 PM   #1
Renboy
Rep
Drives: E46's many of them

Seat retrofit and module issues

Hi all,
I started with manual heated seats, and have installed powered heated sport seats with memory/lumbar/bolster. As my seats were manual and heated I had $494 already present in the VO, but needed $459 added. Did this in NCSExpert after reading a lot about the retrofit. Added $459 to CAS/FRM/IHKA/KOMBI/JBBF just to make sure I had all my bases covered. But, the seats still don't move. The lumbar and bolster work as I can both hear and feel them, but the rest of the motors don't work in either the driver or passenger seat. My original seats were heated (and the heating worked) by pin 1 in the seat connector with is the pulse heating system controlled by the JBBF. But the new seats are entirely controlled by the seat module and the K-CAN wires (green, and orange/green). In ISTA it shows that the seat modules are present, but they are marked in red which means there's an issue communicating with the seat modules, both left and right. Not sure if this is related, but by chance I poked around INPA and found that the JBBF and a few other modules do not have the correct VIN coded to them (just got the car recently unknown history other than one, or both of the previous owners were utter idiots).
Here's a screenshot:

My questions are:
1. Any ideas as to why the seats aren't moving. After altering the VO, is there more coding that needs to be done to get the seats moving?
2. How do I change the VIN in the modules that don't have it properly stored?
Thanks all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:31 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

if you didn't wired CAN bus and additional power to the new seat modules, you will not get this working
      02-20-2024, 03:06 PM   #3
Renboy
Rep

CAN bus and power were added, forgot to mention that. I have discovered that when I turn the car on, the seats will move for a little while (maybe 30 seconds) then won't move until I turn the car off and on again.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 03:22 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

the seat module do not see can-bus
      02-24-2024, 12:30 AM   #5
Renboy
Rep

Got the wiring sorted out. Changed to different grn and org/grn wires and now that's all good. To anyone that does this retrofit, don't use the grn and org/grn wires that run the length of the center console located just under the console.

I have discovered a new problem now however, the driver seat work almost perfectly (headrest switch isn't working, but that's not critical. The new problem is that the seat doesn't slide back and forth at all. When I push the switch for that and/or the headrest movement, all I can hear is a double click from a relay under the seat.
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 04:35 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

that means that module activate circuit but could not move motor
sometime if the electrical seats were stored outside of the car for long time the rotor in motor corrode and glue to motor.
there is a flex steel cable between motor and gear, where you can try to rotate it to break this corrosion

Last edited by ptpending; 03-02-2024 at 03:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 05:42 PM   #7
Renboy
Rep

Going to remove the motor now and see if I can get it moving. Curious to know why the headrest switch is doing the same thing though. Push the button, and just two relay clicks are heard. Does the seat module have the short circuit protection that needs to be cleared in Tool32? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 02:49 AM   #8
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

seat module have overcurrent limits set for every motor
the headrest switch is simply send signal to seat module to move, same as lower seat switch
      03-01-2024, 09:19 PM   #9
Renboy
Rep

SOLVED
The issue was the lateral movement motor. I did discover that there are two motors used on the e9x platform. The first was used I think only in the e90/e91 models and it has two connectors on it, both of which are on the same side of the motor. The other motor used in seemingly the e92/e93 seats is physically longer and also has two connectors. Those connectors are on either side of the motor just above where the cables for the seat adjustment plug in. Not sure if this is common knowledge, but for posterity's sake, there's no reason to not include it.
Appreciate 0