E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding or bad FRM?

01-27-2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Rclay
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Coding or bad FRM?

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone's doing well. I'm looking for some guidance here as I'm at my wits ends with this car.

Recently purchased 2011 E90 328xi.

There was an obvious FRM issue when I bought the car: Red workshop icon was up, headlight switch didn't work, fog light switch did work sometimes.

Problem:
Headlight switch doesn't do anything, headlights are always on when the car is on. The fog light button doesn't turn the fog lights on.

Here's what I've tried:
  1. Used BimmerGeeks ProTool to reset the FRM.
    1. This resolved the Red workshop icon. But the headlight switch & fog light button still didn't work.
    2. Two codes currently exists, both related to heated mirrors.
  2. Turned off the DRL option by setting it in the dash with the DRC function.
  3. Replaced the headlight switch.

Before I buy a new FRM module, I just wanted to see if anyone thinks that the correct next step? Or if you guys think maybe it's a coding issue when I reset the FRM via BimmerGeeks ProTool?

Thanks,
Rclay

Last edited by Rclay; 01-27-2024 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: grammar.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If your front windows and turn signals work then the frm is functional. Also if you can scan it then it’s functional. I don’t know what you mean by reset frm with protools but just factory code the frm and see if that fixed your problem. It’s possible the frm is fine but your issue is the headlight knob being unplugged or faulty
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 03:17 PM   #3
evominati
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

The FRM is bricked it is repairable but you will need to spend some $ or some time. The choice is yours. You will need a programmer Xprog 5.55 will work and some basic soldering skills.
Some guidance:
https://www.obdii365.com/service/rep...ith-xprog.html
      01-30-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
Rclay
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

Clarifying my original post...

In my original post I said "Used BimmerGeeks ProTool to reset the FRM". To give further details in BimmerGeeks ProTool there's an option to reset the FRM to factory settings. When I did this the FRM was no longer throwing an error and the FRM had the car's VIN again in it's code.

evominati Is there a difference between ProTools and Xprog in terms of what it's doing to the FRM? What cable do I need? Do I also need a prgramming box between the laptop and OBDII port? so cable from laptop to programming box, then cable from programming box to OBDII?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 04:23 AM   #5
evominati
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Xprog is a programmer that works for a lot of stuff not even BMW related. There are guides over the internet how to proceed with the restoration of the module. If you managed to fix the FRM via Xprog no additional coding/encoding/programing is needed.
Regards!
      02-04-2024, 08:18 PM   #6
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rclay View Post
Clarifying my original post...

In my original post I said "Used BimmerGeeks ProTool to reset the FRM". To give further details in BimmerGeeks ProTool there's an option to reset the FRM to factory settings. When I did this the FRM was no longer throwing an error and the FRM had the car's VIN again in it's code.

evominati Is there a difference between ProTools and Xprog in terms of what it's doing to the FRM? What cable do I need? Do I also need a prgramming box between the laptop and OBDII port? so cable from laptop to programming box, then cable from programming box to OBDII?
Your frm is not dead so repairing it with a programmer like xprog would do nothing. I know this because you can read the frm vin and read errors for mirrors which are transmitted to the frm. If your frm needed repairing you wouldn’t be able to see any errors or vin for the frm, you’d have “transmitter frm” codes

You need a proper diagnosis done with ista. Or post up your full scan report here. There’s not much to work off of
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 09:17 PM   #7
Renboy
Rep
Drives: E46's many of them

Just recently I was dealing with an FRM issue. I could scan the FRM, no codes, all lights were working, both interior and exterior. What didn't work was the driver side window, and neither power mirrors. Tested everything I could think of. In the end, I got a used FRM from a scrapyard for $75, recoded it to my car (NCSExpert and WinKFP) and all was well afterward. In short, even though you may be able to communicate with the FRM, doesn't mean it doesn't have an issue.
Appreciate 0