E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Updating CCC software over DCAN

09-20-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Knuppel
Private
Rep
Drives: E91

Updating CCC software over DCAN

I have a E91 (320i) pre-lci with Dension 500s BT and CCC nav system.
Bluetooth randomly loses connection whilst calling. Tried just about everything, except updating the car/CCC to the latest software version.

Now this car has some mileage already, so i'm not investing in an ICOM. I know it's possible to flash using DCAN cable, and i know it's tricky. So i would like to know the best way of doing this.

My DCAN cable is stable, I have processed car/ecu's many times now without errors.

For the stable power supply, what minimum voltage and amps do i need? Would i be able to use a server psu 750w / 12v, if i can get it up to 14v? Do i leave the battery connected?

What's the best software to use? WinKFP? Can i check which software versions are the latest, and which versions my car has?
Anything else I should know before attempting this?

Last edited by Knuppel; 09-20-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Your cable being "stable" doesn't mean much. Most D-CAN cables out there, including the super expensive one-stop-electronics cable have a firmware bug that cause flashes to certain modules to fail flashing. This includes all MOST-bus modules and some PT-CAN modules. The modules that don't trigger the bug will flash properly all day, the modules that do trigger the bug will fail 100% of the time.

You will need a D-CAN cable with the fixed firmware from ediabaslib. You can either purchase Bimmergeeks' cable which comes pre-flashed with said firmware, or get an atmega prorammger, solder to the microcontroller, and flash it yourself. Then you should be okay flashing without an ICOM.

Now if your car is old enough to use the K-line for communications rather than the D-CAN bus, then you don't need to worry about the firmware bug.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
Knuppel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Your cable being "stable" doesn't mean much. Most D-CAN cables out there, including the super expensive one-stop-electronics cable have a firmware bug that cause flashes to certain modules to fail flashing. This includes all MOST-bus modules and some PT-CAN modules. The modules that don't trigger the bug will flash properly all day, the modules that do trigger the bug will fail 100% of the time.

You will need a D-CAN cable with the fixed firmware from ediabaslib. You can either purchase Bimmergeeks' cable which comes pre-flashed with said firmware, or get an atmega prorammger, solder to the microcontroller, and flash it yourself. Then you should be okay flashing without an ICOM.

Now if your car is old enough to use the K-line for communications rather than the D-CAN bus, then you don't need to worry about the firmware bug.
I have a Chinese K+DCAN cable, FTDI chip.
You are referring to step 2 (assuming i can skip step 1) in this link? If cable is flashed with Ediabaslib firmware and car is supplied with 13.8v i'm good to go?

Which modules should i try flashing first to check for bugs?

Last edited by Knuppel; 09-20-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Yeah step 2 in that link should do the trick. You could skip the other steps.

Safest to test would probably be something like the bluetooth/TCU module or the Sirius module if you have those.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:28 AM   #5
Knuppel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Yeah step 2 in that link should do the trick. You could skip the other steps.

Safest to test would probably be something like the bluetooth/TCU module or the Sirius module if you have those.
None of those i'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Knuppel
Private
Rep

So do i leave the battery connected whilst psu is powering the car via jump start terminals?
Appreciate 0