E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent steering wheel shake issue

09-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Red_Tears
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Intermittent steering wheel shake issue

Perhaps someone on here can help shed some light...

My 08 335i has an odd issue where every so often, maybe 3,4 times a week, I leave work, and going in a straight line my steering wheel shakes as if the tires are out of balance, and that shake translates into the brakes if I slow down while the symptoms are occurring. though the tires were changed (mounted and balanced) just before I bought the car... Also the fact that it is present all the way to highway speed, but only for a short while (usually doesn't last more than the first stop sign or two) and not consistently, (it's been two weeks between the last time this happened and Friday.) just makes it really hard to believe it could be a balance or alignment thing, steering wheel is straight when I drive.

I've read around on other forums and E46 get it sometimes if a rim is bent out of shape but I find that kind of hard to believe given this car's history... (service records, clean carfax.)

Any ideas?

-R
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #2
Camery
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 318i

Garage List
2007 BMW e90  [0.00]
Please let me know your findings, as I am having the exact same issues.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Service records and clean carfax wouldn't tell you anything. It could be bad shocks or struts or possibly a bend rim or out of round tire. The prior owner may have driven over a huge pot hole, or something, and damaged the rim without them realizing it or jogged the shocks or struts loose.
Do you have a compact spare? If so, try swapping out each tire one at a time and drive it around. If the vibration stops, then you will know what tire/rim it is.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

When vibration starts, pull over, feel the wheels, one will be very hot. If so you have a sticking caliper, which could be the caliper or the flex hose, both easy to change out.

How do I know, been there, and done that!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
Red_Tears
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Service records and clean carfax wouldn't tell you anything. It could be bad shocks or struts or possibly a bend rim or out of round tire. The prior owner may have driven over a huge pot hole, or something, and damaged the rim without them realizing it or jogged the shocks or struts loose.
Do you have a compact spare? If so, try swapping out each tire one at a time and drive it around. If the vibration stops, then you will know what tire/rim it is.
I do not have a compact spare, but that is a genius idea, I can pull a wheel from the salvage yard and give that a shot. Hopefully the wheel I find is not bent as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
When vibration starts, pull over, feel the wheels, one will be very hot. If so you have a sticking caliper, which could be the caliper or the flex hose, both easy to change out.

How do I know, been there, and done that!
Will definitely do so next time I notice it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Tears View Post
I do not have a compact spare, but that is a genius idea, I can pull a wheel from the salvage yard and give that a shot. Hopefully the wheel I find is not bent as well

Will definitely do so next time I notice it. Thanks for the suggestion!
No problem. What you will need is a compact spare of size 135/80R-17 and a jack from either of the following 3–series or 5-series. After I ditched the OEM RFTs, I got a compact spare ($100) off a 2006 E60 545 from my local LKQ auto salvage. Did its job when I had to use it one time.

BMW 5 SERIES Spare tire and Jack: 525 528 535 545 550 (2004 2005 2006 2007)
BMW 3-SERIES Spare tire and Jack: E9X: 323, 325, 328, 330 (Up to 2006)
BMW 3-SERIES jack only: E46 (1998 -2007)

Good luck.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Red_Tears
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
No problem. What you will need is a compact spare of size 135/80R-17 and a jack from either of the following 3–series or 5-series. After I ditched the OEM RFTs, I got a compact spare ($100) off a 2006 E60 545 from my local LKQ auto salvage. Did its job when I had to use it one time.

BMW 5 SERIES Spare tire and Jack: 525 528 535 545 550 (2004 2005 2006 2007)
BMW 3-SERIES Spare tire and Jack: E9X: 323, 325, 328, 330 (Up to 2006)
BMW 3-SERIES jack only: E46 (1998 -2007)

Good luck.
Will do! Thanks for all the great information.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Tears View Post
...08 335i has an odd issue where every so often, maybe 3,4 times a week, I leave work, and going in a straight line my steering wheel shakes as if the tires are out of balance, and that shake translates into the brakes if I slow down while the symptoms are occurring. though the tires were changed (mounted and balanced) just before I bought the car... Also the fact that it is present all the way to highway speed, but only for a short while (usually doesn't last more than the first stop sign or two) and not consistently, (it's been two weeks between the last time this happened and Friday.)...
If it is intermittent, and it goes away when the tires, drive axle joints, etc. warm up, and it didn't happen at all for two weeks, then I would think the issues has to be heat- or use-related. Something along the lines of tire flat spot, drive axle U-joint, or even a sticking brake caliper.

I would suggest trying some/all of the following as deemed appropriate:
1) rotate the tires diagonally, 2 at a time (e.g. LF to RR) assuming no stagger; Drive until problem recurs and compare "feel";
2) When issue recurs, see if problem gets better or worse when you "load" Left side (in RH Turn) or "load" R side (in LH Turn);
3) Test to see if there is any "Pull" to the L or R when you apply brake moderately OR when you release the brake pedal; a sticking caliper will often pull more to the sticking side when you RELEASE the brake pedal, as the pads on that side still contact the rotor.

QUESTIONS:
a) When you say "steering wheel shakes" do you mean you feel "vibration" in the steering wheel, or does it oscillate circumferencially -- Left to Right, as a "warped rotor" causes when applying brakes?
b) When you apply the brakes slowly or moderately, does the nature or degree of "steering wheel shake" change, and HOW?
c) Does the occurrence of the shake seem related to any identifiable factor such as ambient temp; wetness of roadway; distance or time traveled and/or temperature buildup in components; length of time the car has sat unused before?
d) What brand, type & size of tires are installed, and are all 4 the same?
e) Have you examined the tire tread & sidewalls for any clues such as irregular tread wear, cupping, bumps or irregularities in sidewalls or tread?
f) Have you carefully examined the wheel rims, on BOTH the inboard & outboard sides, for any bend or crack, such as results from pothole impact, particularly if you have 50 profile or less?
g) Has the problem been present since you bought the car, or if NOT, was there any event (such as bumping a curb, hitting a pothole, etc.) that preceded its emergence?

My SWAG on info furnished thus far is a tire issue of some sort, so the suggestion to swap in a spare, one wheel location at a time, is a good idea. If it takes 2 weeks to recur, that process may take awhile.

Rather than getting a donut, why not go to a salvage yard and get a full-size replacement wheel, or even buy a new wheel of same type as on your vehicle and mount a tire of same type, so now you have a spare wheel at home that you can rotate to keep all 5 same tread depth, or have available if you get a flat or tire damage. You DO carry an air pump & plug kit I presume?

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
Red_Tears
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If it is intermittent, and it goes away when the tires, drive axle joints, etc. warm up, and it didn't happen at all for two weeks, then I would think the issues has to be heat- or use-related. Something along the lines of tire flat spot, drive axle U-joint, or even a sticking brake caliper.
I didn't think about a flat spot, when I test drove the vehicle I did perform a panic stop and the front wheels did lock briefly before ABS kicked in...

Quote:
I would suggest trying some/all of the following as deemed appropriate:
1) rotate the tires diagonally, 2 at a time (e.g. LF to RR) assuming no stagger; Drive until problem recurs and compare "feel";
The setup is indeed staggered as I have OE wheels.

Quote:
2) When issue recurs, see if problem gets better or worse when you "load" Left side (in RH Turn) or "load" R side (in LH Turn);
Under load it goes away, regardless of what side is loaded, I have a twisty road that I have to take coming home from work.

Quote:
3) Test to see if there is any "Pull" to the L or R when you apply brake moderately OR when you release the brake pedal; a sticking caliper will often pull more to the sticking side when you RELEASE the brake pedal, as the pads on that side still contact the rotor.
When I performed the panic stop during test drive it did not exhibit pull to either side, however I will test this on my way home next time it occurs.

Quote:
QUESTIONS:
a) When you say "steering wheel shakes" do you mean you feel "vibration" in the steering wheel, or does it oscillate circumferencially -- Left to Right, as a "warped rotor" causes when applying brakes?
b) When you apply the brakes slowly or moderately, does the nature or degree of "steering wheel shake" change, and HOW?
It is indeed an oscillation, such as warped rotors, and if I apply brakes the oscillation is more violent, until >10mph. Of note the rotors were in fact warped, I had them turned and replaced the pads about 2 months ago.

Quote:
c) Does the occurrence of the shake seem related to any identifiable factor such as ambient temp; wetness of roadway; distance or time traveled and/or temperature buildup in components; length of time the car has sat unused before?
No, that is what confuses me so much. It can be raining and it will occur, it can be clear and hot, etc. The only factor that stays the same is that it only occurs from the time I first start the car and drive away, and only seems to last about 5 minutes. Or until I reach the highway ~ 2-4 miles from work. As for the car sitting, the longest it has sat since I purchased it (with 4 brand new tires) has been 2 days when my fiancee wanted to drive her car.

Quote:
d) What brand, type & size of tires are installed, and are all 4 the same?
As stated in OP, all 4 tires are brand new, and yes of the same brand, I am not a heathen! They are Barum Bravuris (Owned by continental so I guess you could say continental?) sizing is correct for the wheels installed on the car, 2008 335I sport package with staggered tires Style 162.

Quote:
e) Have you examined the tire tread & sidewalls for any clues such as irregular tread wear, cupping, bumps or irregularities in sidewalls or tread?
I examine my tires every weekend, however with roughly 1200 miles on them so far my treadwear is minimal. Neither of them are exhibiting signs of suspension wear/issues.

Quote:
f) Have you carefully examined the wheel rims, on BOTH the inboard & outboard sides, for any bend or crack, such as results from pothole impact, particularly if you have 50 profile or less?
No, I have not seen any cracking or irregularities in the wheels.

Quote:
g) Has the problem been present since you bought the car, or if NOT, was there any event (such as bumping a curb, hitting a pothole, etc.) that preceded its emergence?
The problem was not present (at least not obviously, and I drove 400 miles to get it home) when I purchased the vehicle but considering the irregularity of the occurrence it is entirely possible the issue was there and just did not present itself. None of the events you listed have occurred since I purchased the vehicle.

Quote:
Rather than getting a donut, why not go to a salvage yard and get a full-size replacement wheel, or even buy a new wheel of same type as on your vehicle and mount a tire of same type, so now you have a spare wheel at home that you can rotate to keep all 5 same tread depth, or have available if you get a flat or tire damage. You DO carry an air pump & plug kit I presume?
I was planning on doing this, I don't like running donuts on my cars. The only issue is the staggered setup, making rotation a little more difficult. Hoping the issue presents itself this afternoon as there are some good suggestions on here as to how to diagnose it.

Thanks for the input,

-R
Appreciate 0