E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Auto-Leveling coding help (NOT Retrofit)

05-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Question Auto-Leveling coding help (NOT Retrofit)

Hey guys,

My auto-levelling feature doesn't appear to be working. I have the adaptive HIDs from the factory - this is NOT a retrofit.

Upon starting the car they do the little 'self-check dance', and the cornering feature works fine... but they do not move up/down when driving.

My level sensors on the suspension look fine, and when I read their values in INPA they seem to read correctly (middle of the scale on level ground).
I balanced my laptop on the armrest, went to the trunk and pushed it up/down and watched the sensors show the changes in INPA.
I can also actuate them in INPA to move to all four corners on command with no issues (top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right).

What can I check to see if they were disabled at some point or disabled from the factory?
When I read the FRM module 'LWR_ANSTEUERN' was 'nicht-aktiv' - I tried changing that to 'aktiv' to no avail, but I'm not sure exactly what that controls.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The auto-level movement is very subtle and usually not noticeable. At least not as much as the side to side movement.

What problems are you noticing that makes you think the auto-leveling is not working?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
The auto-level movement is very subtle and usually not noticeable. At least not as much as the side to side movement.

What problems are you noticing that makes you think the auto-leveling is not working?
Well, mostly that I never see any vertical movement at all. There's a very steep hill on a dark road near my house that I would expect to see them adjust for, and don't.

Also, there's a hump in my driveway and as I slowly pull onto it, and then over it, there's no vertical adjustment in the lights on my garage door.

In contrast to that, when I test the movement in INPA the max and min vertical angles possible are quite drastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm going to switch to summer wheels/tires today - maybe I'll test it shinning against the wall and use the jack to raise the front/rear and watch the lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

They won't do anything for a hill and not for bumps either.

The auto level is meant to compensate for a loaded suspension so your headlights don't blind people when it's full of people in the back. So they will only adjust vertically if there is a sustained difference in the suspension height between front and rear for a few seconds, it doesn't constantly move up and down with every bump in the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:04 AM   #6
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

If auto-leveling doesn't work, then you will be notified about this. Don't worry it works fine if no errors on your dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
They won't do anything for a hill and not for bumps either.

The auto level is meant to compensate for a loaded suspension so your headlights don't blind people when it's full of people in the back. So they will only adjust vertically if there is a sustained difference in the suspension height between front and rear for a few seconds, it doesn't constantly move up and down with every bump in the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
If auto-leveling doesn't work, then you will be notified about this. Don't worry it works fine if no errors on your dash.
Hmm. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the manual at all, but I guess I had assumed it was a 'real time' leveling system. Your explanation is consistent with what I'm seeing, so I suppose you're right.

So I guess the bad news is I wasted a fair amount of time looking at something that wasn't broken... but the good news is I can consider it fixed! LOL

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I see mine auto dip if I'm behind a van at a stop light. If you punch it some, when the rear squats you can see the beam cut off compensate for the rear being lower for a sec.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimxb8 View Post
I see mine auto dip if I'm behind a van at a stop light. If you punch it some, when the rear squats you can see the beam cut off compensate for the rear being lower for a sec.
That's kind of what I was expecting to see, but I don't.

In NCS I found some lines that seem to be related to the min/max speed of horizontal/vertical sweep and how often it checks the level. It's hard to decipher exactly how it's all programmed though.

I'd love to play with this, but I don't want to fuck something up since I don't know how the values are used.
Murphey's Law dictates I'd end up picking a value that moves the beam so fast it burns the motors out or something
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Park 20 feet or so in front of a garage or flat wall, then have people get into your back seat and watch the headlight beam closely.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
viperrj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d AW

Just to add my .02, I've noticed that behind a vehicle at a light and accelerating from a stop there is an incremental change on the horizontal plane but I've also noticed that on the fxx that the change is much more distinct. I do however notice the horizontal leveling going over elevation changes, albeit slight, you really have to watch for it.
      01-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #12
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

I'd like to also adjust them to be more dramatic and "real-time"
      03-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep