E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need Help: Cant Pass Inspection

04-06-2015, 02:44 AM   #1
jus2sikwitit
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i xdrive

Need Help: Cant Pass Inspection

I have the jb4 stage 2 on my n55 e92 with bms catless dp and catless exhaust im getting a trouble code p0420 and check engine light when i shut off jb4. I need to pass inspection. Anyone know how i can do so without putting the original DP back on? my e92 is xdrive and its a nightmare to get the dp out to begin with. HELPPPPPP
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:34 AM   #2
NoImDirtyDan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
No options other than an illegal smog or putting your cats back on
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:50 AM   #3
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

If you are in the boroughs, there is no quick fix
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

There are literally tons of threads regarding this, please search
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Seriously? You have catless DPs. Either take em off and put a normal exhaust on, or pay someone a heap of dinero to pass you.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
area74
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 door ?

Hello everyone, we may have a solution for your N55 catless issues

I was guided here by one of your members, he contacted me in regards to an o2 sensor simulator we offer, and please hear me out before assuming this is another sales pitch.

We are well aware that previous and most current electronic sims are fussy (to put it best)

our simulator is different, and we would like to test it on the N55 engine with no cats.

what we ask, is a long standing trusted member or the e90 community conduct a field test for us, we will provide the sample at no charge.

the requirements are an N55 engine, catless, and factory PCM. no tunes enabled JB4 or COBB.

we REQUIRE the PCM's ability to run the catalyst efficiency monitor, hence no tune.

over a period of 50-100miles is usually enough for the efficiency test to complete and move to a "ready state" or "passed" you must be able to provide proof the test completed, and hopefully passed.

we also ask for data log, under cruising speeds of (25MPH) to hard acceleration up to 45mph then decel for 5 seconds, all on the same log. (log of, all o2's, stft, ltft, rpm, and speed)

I will also at this point, ask permission from the moderator to post the results (good or bad) on this forum.

thank you very much for your time

******, presenting the io2
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******

I was guided here by one of your members, he contacted me in regards to an o2 sensor simulator we offer, and please hear me out before assuming this is another sales pitch.

We are well aware that previous and most current electronic sims are fussy (to put it best)

our simulator is different, and we would like to test it on the N55 engine with no cats.

what we ask, is a long standing trusted member or the e90 community conduct a field test for us, we will provide the sample at no charge.

the requirements are an N55 engine, catless, and factory PCM. no tunes enabled JB4 or COBB.

we REQUIRE the PCM's ability to run the catalyst efficiency monitor, hence no tune.

over a period of 50-100miles is usually enough for the efficiency test to complete and move to a "ready state" or "passed" you must be able to provide proof the test completed, and hopefully passed.

we also ask for data log, under cruising speeds of (25MPH) to hard acceleration up to 45mph then decel for 5 seconds, all on the same log. (log of, all o2's, stft, ltft, rpm, and speed)

I will also at this point, ask permission from the moderator to post the results (good or bad) on this forum.

Very cool Id be interested but I did my emissions a few weeks ago. I'm sure people will jump on this opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Gearhead327
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport 6MT

Just swapped out my cats this week to pass inspection. Not bad with RWD, 1.5 hours.
      04-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post

This is the real deal and the only possible solution to the N55's lack of a DP fix.

Note: I have no affiliation with this guy, but I understand his idea and believe it will work.

To elaborate (since I know most of you are going to be reluctant to believe this):

Normal electronic o2 simulators work by sending what is essentially a square wave to the ECU. Basically, it sends .1 volts for 3 seconds then sends .9 volts for 3 seconds. It alternates indefinitely. This works on some older cars (and is likely how the N54 DP fix works). It's a simple circuit that can be implemented with a 555 timer IC from Radioshack. However, this is not complex enough for the N55's ECU validation check.

The way that this simulator works is that you actually feed it the signal from the secondary o2 sensor and it MODIFIES it to make it look as though the exhaust passed through a cat. You can think of it as "filtering" the input (non "catalytic-converted") o2 signal to make it look like it's been "catalytic-converted".

What this means:

You still need to have a working secondary o2 sensor installed in your down pipe. Normally, this signal would not pass the ECU's checks, but the corrected one should.

Benefits of this method:

The ECU may very well be intentionally causing a temporary rich/lean condition to verify that the o2 sensors are working. If you are using a simulator that is simply generating its own signal, this will cause the check to fail. This simulator is basing its output off of the actual o2 sensor input, so these tests should pass.

Someone test this out and let the forum know if it works!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #10
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

I thought the N54 DPFix already modified the O2 signals. It doesn't just send it's own as some early model O2 sims for other cars did. The DPFix being sold is pretty much a variable resistor so it takes the inputs and tweaks the output voltage to keep it in spec with what the DME expects. That seems to be exactly what you're proposing and it doesn't work on the N55.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
I thought the N54 DPFix already modified the O2 signals. It doesn't just send it's own as some early model O2 sims for other cars did. The DPFix being sold is pretty much a variable resistor so it takes the inputs and tweaks the output voltage to keep it in spec with what the DME expects. That seems to be exactly what you're proposing and it doesn't work on the N55.
That's news to me. However, a variable resistor is much different that what this is doing.

A variable resistor (if that's what it really is) is probaly used just to implement a voltage divider. You can't really do much else with just a resistor. Maybe there was some RC filtering cirucit to "smooth" the edges, but those are all "passive" modifications.

This unit actually has a microcontroller which samples the input signal, applies a mathemical model to it, and reproduces it on an output.

Basically, it seems like this guy modeled a catalytic converter in the form of a transfer function or something.

EDIT: If it turns out that the BMS DP Fix is actually a similar design, then yes, this might not work. However, there's no physical reason why the o2 can't be successfully simulated with enough effort to model the system.

EDIT 2: So I did a little digging. It looks like the BMS DP fix is in fact just a variable resistor and a diode. I'm actually surprised that such a setup worked on a car as new as an N54 car. This setup doesn't have the ability to change the frequency of the signal, just the amplitude and distortion (due to the diode). As far as I know, frequency is one way that the ECU measures cat efficiency. If the AFR is changing too rapidly, it's a sign that the cat may be bad (or not there).

Last edited by Unklejoe; 04-29-2015 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #12
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

I created a thread a while back asking about this same sort of o2 sim, to me, it sounded like it would work. While the whole thing is more complicated than a simple resistor, as long as you're modifying the input signal, applying an equation to it and creating an output in line with what the ECU is expecting, it should work. You really just need a log of pre cat and post cat o2 voltages during normal driving with the stock cat in place. Keep the difference between those values the same and you're good.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
area74
Banned
Rep

Hello
maybe this will help clear things up....

the bank 1 cat was dead, bank 2 still fine,in the screen shot there is a lot of activity on bank2 because the cat wasn't fully warmed up.

[IMG]http://www.******.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/scantool2-300x187.jpg[/IMG]

we are currently working on some before and after screenshots also.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

You have to be able to pay somebody in NY to get a pass
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #15
area74
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
You have to be able to pay somebody in NY to get a pass
we are asking for the opportunity to prove you wrong.

the io2, as mentioned is NOT a simple resistor/capacitor or resistor/trim/diode circuit

This is a microprocessor that runs code, code that we have developed to electronically simulate a good catalytic converter by conditioning the rear o2 signal.

After some preliminary research on the N55 engine, we are extremely confident the io2 will work in alleviating your efficiency faults (p0420 and alike)

We decided to offer a sample, for someone to test and report the results for this community to establish some trust with us at ******.

we asked for the log mostly in the unlikely event it does not work, we can then make the necessary changes to the software, and make it work.

so you either have a solution now, or you will have a solution in a very short period of time.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
we are asking for the opportunity to prove you wrong.

the io2, as mentioned is NOT a simple resistor/capacitor or resistor/trim/diode circuit

This is a microprocessor that runs code, code that we have developed to electronically simulate a good catalytic converter by conditioning the rear o2 signal.

After some preliminary research on the N55 engine, we are extremely confident the io2 will work in alleviating your efficiency faults (p0420 and alike)

We decided to offer a sample, for someone to test and report the results for this community to establish some trust with us at ******.

we asked for the log mostly in the unlikely event it does not work, we can then make the necessary changes to the software, and make it work.

so you either have a solution now, or you will have a solution in a very short period of time.

Long overdue for someone to write some code to trick the ECU (can't remember what BMW calls it) into seeing a good reading.

Can't wait to see how this pans out.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
fsugatorbait
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40  [0.00]
I'd be willing to do the testing required for this.

I can flash back to stock to do the testing and can datalog whatever parameters you need with the Cobb AP. I'm very interested in finding a solution to swapping the DP every two years for emissions.

Question for you, how is the simulator installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #18
Cure12
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

I'm excited, getting my catless DP today from VRSF...
      04-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #19
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

Sounds like someone will beat me to it on this trial but it does seem very promising. My DP isn't going in until this weekend (hopefully) Looking forward to the results.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

If you still need testers let me know. Texas is hard to pass even if you know the guy running the test, even my friends have told me I would have to remove and re-install stock DP.
      04-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
ETM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black E90 M3

Where are you located ******?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #22
area74
Banned
Rep

Hello everyone, sorry for the delay

We just finished data logging and getting video's together to show what the io2 can do, I will share it you when it's complete,we have collected numerous "passed" catalyst monitors on a wide range of vehicle's, all 2005 and up. We would love to add the BMW N55 to the list.

fsugatorbait and 335m if you could either email me your shipping details or I suppose PM me, I will ship out two samples, one for each of you.

Install instructions can be found on our website as a pdf download at http://www.******.ca/io2-support its extremely easy to install.

EricT335i, I am located in Manitoba, Canada.

thanks to all you for your interest, we really appreciate it.

I apologize if I missed answering any questions, or responding to other comments.

Appreciate 0