E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Another Glow Plug Thread

01-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
mayhs
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330d M-Sport

Another Glow Plug Thread

I've got a 2006 E90 330D that's been remapped and I've also had the DPF removed. While getting the car remapped the diagnostics stated that a few glow plug faults were present (think its probably the controller) but the car runs great all the same.

I've noticed on the cold mornings I'm getting a puff of smoke out the back on start up, which again is a sign the glow plugs/controller need to be changed. The car runs good but I haven't really opened it up due to the bad weather but it starts up without any problems or extra cranking so at the moment, the only indicator is the light smoke on start up.

I've read all the DIY's and I'm quite worried about snapping the plugs when removing them so going to get a quote from the stealers and see what they say, however I was wondering if there are any other side effects of keeping the car running with these faults present? i.e. bad MPG? loss of performance?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

All Glowplugs do is warm up, aiding combustion when starting cold.

A diesel would probably start fine most of the year in the UK without glowplugs.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Mines been starting a few cylinders down these last few cold mornings. Really lumpy and sounds bloody awful. Gently rev it a bit for maybe 5-10 seconds and it smooths out and picks up the missing cylinders.

Need to check if the glow plugs are working. I changed the plugs last year, but maybe the controller has gone.

The glowplug job is likely to be quite expensive from the dealer, as while the plugs are only a few quid each, theres a lot of dismantling required to get into them, which is time consuming.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
mayhs
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330d M-Sport

Ah thanks for the replies. I figured that the glow plugs are only used during start up but just wanted to make sure. May just leave it as it is in that case as the car starts strong and there doesn't seem to be any negative affects...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhs
Ah thanks for the replies. I figured that the glow plugs are only used during start up but just wanted to make sure. May just leave it as it is in that case as the car starts strong and there doesn't seem to be any negative affects...
Failed glow plugs can also prevent the DPF from regenerating however you've had that removed so that's no issue.

The plugs aren't expensive should you wish to make the change.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:24 AM   #6
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

5 of my 6 glow plugs have been showing as faulty since I got the car but I've not noticed any issues. Car starts OK on cold mornings, sometimes a little lump but only when really cold and soon goes.

I have my DPF and it regen's OK too as far as I can tell, but I too have heard that failed GP's can prevent regen so I will get em done at some point but right now I'm not worried.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #7
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Mine was the same when i bought it. 5 out of the 6 failed, and regenerating fine.

Replaced all 6 glows shortly after but still had one fault afterwards. Was unsure if its a bad replacement or a bad controller but just ignored it as it all worked fine.

I need to get the diagnostics out and see whats going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
Mine was the same when i bought it. 5 out of the 6 failed, and regenerating fine.

Replaced all 6 glows shortly after but still had one fault afterwards. Was unsure if its a bad replacement or a bad controller but just ignored it as it all worked fine.

I need to get the diagnostics out and see whats going on.
And my 335D refused to regenerate until I fixed glow plug errors. Who knows.
Appreciate 0