E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Drag Race Question - non-BMW related

02-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
j28s
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i - 6mt - Sedan

Drag Race Question - non-BMW related

We were leaving a race track from a days worth of practice and across the street they also had a 1/4 mile drag strip. We went over talked to some "officials" and they let us run the car with them. We ran one run (note: car had road race slicks), some of the locals told us to bypass the "wet box" and stage. Went past the box and did a lil burn out to get the crap off the tires. Knowing the car, I know I can only launch at about 1K RPMs or the wheels will spin. As it turns out, I was pretty much spinning the tires all the way down the track (could feel the car spin through the gears) and as I was informed by about 15 people afterwards...(remember: road race setup on a drag strip).
Here's the results:
60ft - 2.06
330ft - 5.27
1/8mi - 7.82 @ 101.1mph
1000 ft - 9.90
1/4mi - 11.60 @ 132.3mph
QUESTION: Is there any type of formula to determine which section was the worst and which was best (i.e. 60' bad, 1000ft better)? Reason I ask is because the guy beside me had about 3 car lengths almost to the halfway point and I had about 3 lengths on him at the finish. When we were putting the car back in the trailer some guys were full of questions and was surprised at the come back at the second half. I'm a Noobie with the dragrace thing.

Racing is an addiction that can only be cured by poverty.
Background: SCCA and NASA PRO Racing
Appreciate 0