E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 09 328i e90 overheating

08-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
e90islove
Rep
Drives: e90, e30

09 328i e90 overheating

Bought this car the other day from a realtor that owned it for two years and used the car to travel for work, dude claims he replaced damn near everything under the hood including the water pump, thermostat, and radiator. was in a front end accident in January and has sat in his driveway since. Well long story short the car started overheating and i was on the side of the road with almost complete loss of power and coolant draining everywhere. get the hose back on the return for the radiator, get more coolant and go to bleed the system but I cant hear the pump turning on nor does it look like the coolant is moving in the expansion tank. when the car is turned on however, the coolant will start burbling a little bit before it start rising and eventually spills out. cant drive it more than a quarter mile without it overheating, really any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

Last edited by e90islove; 08-14-2019 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:53 AM   #2
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Sounds like the water pump and thermostat, would get those looked at again.

Literally the same symptoms I had when mine failed, don't drive it anymore and get it towed to avoid any further damage to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
Gln22
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

In times like this first look again and again on your water pump and radiator
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

if the pump is ran dry it may be damaged.

BMW is very specific about not allowing these pumps to run dry or it will damage the impeller. The coolant lubricates it.

are you trying to run the coolant bleed procedure without a battery charger attached?
because that generally doesn't work out well. it's a high amp draw for 8-10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:58 AM   #5
e90islove
Rep
Drives: e90, e30

I got the pump working now and it seems to be running strong, the pin connector into the pump was completely corroded and was able to rewire another plug on and she runs good now just a lot of mother fn codes
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
LRokosky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi coupe

Car is overheating but no codes when scanned.

Hi,

This isn't entirely related to the issue above, but I have an issue with my car overheating. I have read that it is likely the water pump or thermostat, but I have also read that these components usually give a check engine light and fault codes. I scanned my car and got no codes. I also don't have a check engine light. I checked for leaks, but don't see any noticeable ones.

Let me know if you have any ideas

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRokosky View Post
Hi,

This isn't entirely related to the issue above, but I have an issue with my car overheating. I have read that it is likely the water pump or thermostat, but I have also read that these components usually give a check engine light and fault codes. I scanned my car and got no codes. I also don't have a check engine light. I checked for leaks, but don't see any noticeable ones.

Thanks
What did you scan with? A generic Autozone scanner won't see a water pump code.
      04-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #8
LRokosky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi coupe

Ok,

It was just a generic scanner. I think I am going to go ahead and replace the water pump. I know that it is a common issue so it won't do any harm, and it has a good chance of fixing the problem
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Luis561
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRokosky View Post
Hi,

Thanks
What did you scan with? A generic Autozone scanner won't see a water pump code.
It will since he said his wires were corroded which means it thinks the water pump isn't there. I got a cel once when I forgot to plug my water pump back in once after messing around down there lol
Appreciate 0