E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 solenoids 330 07, interesting!!

04-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
Ace1998
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

E90 solenoids 330 07, interesting!!

Hi all just thought I'd share my situation with you and maybe some people might learn something from it or maybe someone can confirm or deny this topic.

So my car 330d 2007, has pinged up the 4F8A code, ratio monitoring gearshift 4-5. I've set about to replace the mechatronic seals and sleeves, solenoids and of course fit a new sump and oil. My only issue was I'd heard that the vehicle after this work would need the adaptions re setting and re learning. So I've been trying everywhere and to no avail so I contacted ZF themselves.

So to summarise the conversation I was told

"I would recommend using "Software T" for your application.

As I mentioned before, you do not need to re-learn adaptions for minor repairs such as sump, seals or sleeves. You could do an adaption re-learn for the solenoids if you'd like to, but we do not recommend it. Driving for a couple hundred miles will record any changes to the transmission memory without having to clear adaptions and re-learn."

Now, I'm not sure wether I'm talking to a ZF customer service or a ZF technician but I cant imagine them supplying me with false information?

So I've asked under what circumstances does the transmission require a re set and re learn procedure. Now we shall sit and wait.

However im just wondering if anyone can jump in with any comments here. And also anyone setting about doing the solenoids themselves may find this information helpful. Should you wish to re set and re learn the adaptions yourself I believe you can find the pdf file online. Many thanks!

EDIT!!!!
So ZF replied with the following
"Adaption clear and relearn is only necessary when you replace solenoids and experience shift issues. None of the other components you mentioned effect the transmission enough to demand adaptions reset.."

Last edited by Ace1998; 04-20-2021 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #2
ro881e
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52 2007 M-Sport

The guys over at xHP have a good article saying why NEVER to reset the adaptions. Great software btw, would highly recommend for the ZF box
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Ace1998
Rep

I don't suppose you could help me find said article please? New to this forum and having a nightmare at the minute haha!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace1998 View Post
i don't suppose you could help me find said article please? New to this forum and having a nightmare at the minute haha!
ZF_Adaptation procedure.pdf

ZF_Workbook-6-8HP.pdf

Solenoid Replacement Instructions
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
Ace1998
Rep

Awesome thank you for that! I notice the solenoid guide doesnt state anything about re setting adaptions which is re assuring.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
ulissestoga
Rep
Drives: bmw 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1998 View Post
Hi all just thought I'd share my situation with you and maybe some people might learn something from it or maybe someone can confirm or deny this topic.

So my car 330d 2007, has pinged up the 4F8A code, ratio monitoring gearshift 4-5. I've set about to replace the mechatronic seals and sleeves, solenoids and of course fit a new sump and oil. My only issue was I'd heard that the vehicle after this work would need the adaptions re setting and re learning. So I've been trying everywhere and to no avail so I contacted ZF themselves.

So to summarise the conversation I was told

"I would recommend using "Software T" for your application.

As I mentioned before, you do not need to re-learn adaptions for minor repairs such as sump, seals or sleeves. You could do an adaption re-learn for the solenoids if you'd like to, but we do not recommend it. Driving for a couple hundred miles will record any changes to the transmission memory without having to clear adaptions and re-learn."

Now, I'm not sure wether I'm talking to a ZF customer service or a ZF technician but I cant imagine them supplying me with false information?

So I've asked under what circumstances does the transmission require a re set and re learn procedure. Now we shall sit and wait.

However im just wondering if anyone can jump in with any comments here. And also anyone setting about doing the solenoids themselves may find this information helpful. Should you wish to re set and re learn the adaptions yourself I believe you can find the pdf file online. Many thanks!

EDIT!!!!
So ZF replied with the following
"Adaption clear and relearn is only necessary when you replace solenoids and experience shift issues. None of the other components you mentioned effect the transmission enough to demand adaptions reset.."

Has your problem been resolved?
Appreciate 0