Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > HELP: Traction Control Light Flashing w/ New Wheels/Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
T9T8
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08' Dinan 335i Coupe

HELP: Traction Control Light Flashing w/ New Wheels/Tires

For context: I drive a 2008 E92 335i RWD, originally I had a staggered wheel/tire setup as follows: 225/40R19 & 255/35R19. I never experienced traction control kicking in unless I accelerated hard from a standstill. Also, to my understanding, the OEM tire size for my car is supposed to be 225/35R19 & 255/30R19.

Fast-forward to a couple days ago, I just installed a set of brand new winter wheels/tires. I installed a non-staggered setup of 235/40R18 on all 4 corners. During the first drive with the new wheels/tires I noticed that randomly while accelerating in gears from 3-5 the traction control light starts flashing and I can feel a loss of power. I turned DTC off and the car drove without issues and no traction loss was noticeable at any point.

I was under the impression that the overall wheel/tire diameter change was minor enough that it wouldn't effect the traction control system. Am I wrong?
Or is this a case of something else going wrong such as faulty wheel speed sensors just happening to go bad at the same time as changing tires?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Maybe you just got fresh hard rubber? Maybe still has some grease on them from the install or just a glazed state?

Or could be the opposite and your tires are stickier.

Burn em out and see if its still doing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #3
adaLWH
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 325i

It may be that the new tires has insufficient grip , DTC controls the power output to stabilize the car. Did the rear wheel skid when you accelerating?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
T9T8
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Maybe you just got fresh hard rubber? Maybe still has some grease on them from the install or just a glazed state?

Quote:

I put on brand new Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80 tires. They are made of a super soft rubber compound. I will try driving on them more and seeing if it is in fact just the tires breaking in
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
T9T8
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaLWH View Post
It may be that the new tires has insufficient grip , DTC controls the power output to stabilize the car. Did the rear wheel skid when you accelerating?
Quote:

The tires I installed have more grip than my orignal tires. No traction lost happened when I turned DTC off. The DTC would kick in during gentle acceleration but not during hard acceleration so that's why I'm confused
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I think you are just noticing the difference in dry-road performance between performance summer tires and snows. My winter tires (Blizzak ws80 or Michelin xice) will spin similarly. I can get a bit of slip on a shift from 2-3 (335D HAS LOTS OF TORQUE).

yOUR TERMINOLOGY SURROUNDing (KEYBOARD snafu, forgive) DTC is confused. When you hit the button, you turn DTC *ON*, extending the wheelspin limits if DSC. There are several threads about this.

Be especially careful when accelerating around corners, and not so much throttle.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
T9T8
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I think you are just noticing the difference in dry-road performance between performance summer tires and snows. My winter tires (Blizzak ws80 or Michelin xice) will spin similarly. I can get a bit of slip on a shift from 2-3 (335D HAS LOTS OF TORQUE).

yOUR TERMINOLOGY SURROUNDing (KEYBOARD snafu, forgive) DTC is confused. When you hit the button, you turn DTC *ON*, extending the wheelspin limits if DSC. There are several threads about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Hopefully that's the case, that I'm just not used to the winter tire traction.

Yeah I realize I've been mixing up termanology. Do you usually turn DTC on while driving with winter tires? or do you leave just DSC on?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #8
Masher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I feel exactly how you feel... with the WS80 Regret buying them shoulda went with LM's, if i only knew at the time.. So pricey & completley ruin the driving exp for me on dry pavement.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Old thread, but to the OP...

Winter tyres are siped, to allow the tread to deform more and get more grip in adverse conditions. This means the tyres are more 'squirmy' and vague in the dry, as you'll no doubt experience.

This is also why you'll be seeing the traction control kicking in a lot more. It's sensitive enough in normal mode, not DTC mode, to detect the rear tyres squirming under power, which looks like wheelspin to the ECU even if they've not actually lost grip.

Winter tyres are awesome in the right conditions, but rubbish in normal conditions, for more reasons than just grip and handling!
Appreciate 0