E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil pan gasket leak

01-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Oil pan gasket leak

Hey guys, so pretty sure I have the dreaded oil pan gasket leak. Is there a way to be sure that's what it is? Oil seems to be pooling in all the right places and I've check oil filter gasket, looks dry. Can't see the valve cover but I don't see oil in that general area.
If it is the oil pan, seems like the general advice is let is leak. Anyone have a different opinion? I don't have the tools, specifically an engine hoist, or a death wish and I don't want to pay thousands to the dealership.
      01-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Could be any of the valve cover (would see some grime on the top engine, maybe burning smell while driving), OFHG (you ruled that out), front main seal (oil/grime under the belt flywheel in the front), rear main seal (oil/grime coming from the bell housing), or the oil pan (oil/grime coming from all around the pam, may also pass as a rear main seal because oil can seep from the bell housing as well).

If confirmed to be rear main or pan, it's your call fixing it or not. Beside the oil consumption and making an oily mess in your garage that's all there is to it.

Front main seal needs to be addressed due to oil contamination of the belt.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, I'll get the car on jack stands this weekend and poke around some more just to confirm where the oil is coming from.
      02-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Got a chance to poke around some more this week, and my valve cover does not appear to be leaking. Oil filter housing gasket looks fine too. Oil pan is definitely leaking. I also discovered something unexpected. The oil pressure sensor that comes off of the oil filter housing is leaking. After a quick google search, it appears this is a common issue. Looks like an easy fix, I have a new one ordered. Here is a picture of my oil pressure sensor. You can see oil on the wiring and pooling right behind where the sensor connects.
Attached Images