E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > spark plugs and coils

01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
If you can change blinker lights you can change coils. It's quite easy.
The real test is if you can change the blinker fluid. I really messed up that job on my first try, but I didn't give up and now I always diy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Coils (6 x $40 = $240): http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...gnition%20Coil

Plugs (6 x $12 = $72): http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...2@Spark%20Plug

DIY time:
* 10 minutes to remove the cowl (Same instructions as the JB4 install
* 4 screws to remove the engine beauty cover
* 10 minutes to remove and replace the Plug and Play coils (Make sure the motor is cold)
* Get someone who knows how to use and set a QUALITY torque wrench with the correct spark plug socket adapter and this is a simple 10 minute remove and replace

So this will cost you about $350 in parts and about an hour of your time. You should also consider getting your own spark plug socket here ($20):
http://www.burgertuning.com/N54_BMW_...t_adapter.html

Quality torque wrenches are expensive and critical, this is where people fail and cause problems for themselves (Also with not lining up the threads when screwing the plugs back in). Everything else is easy!
One more suggestion is to get yourself locking extensions (I've heard of tape but I don't like that), where the extension will not release from the spark plug socket. And on the #5 plug, it's tight, my locking extension was too long at like 10", so having a short one is nice to have as well.

this is too long, just one that I came across in google

http://www.tooltopia.com/sk-hand-too...n=shopzilla_r1

edit, here's another--I wouldn't go spending $78, but the 3" one would be nice to have, even as your only one

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-57...tool-4941.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
the ones from autohaus az are identical to OEM and very inexpensive. Question is, do they really go bad? Even at $40 each, do you want to spend $240 for no benefit? I would just replace when there's a misfire. I mean it's not like you're removing the timing cover and so you want to fix anything and everything because you don't want to have to do it again...we're only talking about the plastic engine cover.
+1. I've never had a coil go bad on any car until my 335
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #26
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmend8 View Post
I agree but depending on the amount you travel with the car depends on what makes sense.

I've now had a second coil go out in 6 months 200 miles away from home traveling on business which I do weekly and unless I was changing it in the parking lot of the hotel and had one with me I would have had to pay someone to do it. Replacing them all this time as I'd be angry if it happened again because I didn't just replace the rest at once.
That's a good point - depends what the piece of mind is worth to you I suppose.

For my broke ass, DIY and 'as-needed' repair seemed like the best choice
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #27
medic894
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

If you're going to do the work yourself, the N51 etc... motors are easy to work on. It cost me 300 bucks for a 6 coils, 6 plugs, anti seize lubricant, the proper socket and extension, a pair of mechanics gloves, and a 6 pack of beer. Compare that to 378 bucks at the dealership to replace a single COIL and the answer is simple. Also helps if you have a code reader or a friend who has one you can borrow.
Appreciate 0