E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bimmian LEDS

05-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #45
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
But the bimmian 3 led side marker looks good even if it is not flashing. Well since it is already in my car, I am not going to touch it! I know it will be a nightmare to take it out...
I replaced the side marker on my E90 with white LED. It's clear when off, and blink a xenon white color when it's on. No fuss, no hassle, and only took me 5 minutes to do both sides

I'm doing the ones on my E92 soon with amber LEDs.
      05-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #46
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Kev, how are your LED's compared to the stock lighting in the e92s?
2009 Merc C-350: AMG package, loaded
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #47
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman4 View Post
Kev, how are your LED's compared to the stock lighting in the e92s?
My current interior set up is as bright as you can get with LEDs. I think it's brighter than stock.
      05-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #48
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
My current interior set up is as bright as you can get with LEDs. I think it's brighter than stock.
Is it bright white? Do you have some pics you can post? I'm interested in converting to LED's but I don't want it to be annoyingly white and light up my interior like its daylight outside.
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #49
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
It's definitely bright white and will light up your interior very well in the dark. It's tough to capture the amount of light produced by the LEDs with a camera. It's better to see it in person. Here are some examples from another thread:

LED Dome Light

LED Under Door Puddle Light
      05-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
That looks pretty good actually. Did you get them from Bimmian or are they a custom creation of yours?
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #51
Kev
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I followed the footsteps of Shinchan and developed my own kit. Every bulb except for the map lights can be purchased domestically. I bought most of my stuff from bavauto.com, v-leds.com and ledlight.com. Everything is plug and play with no error codes.
      05-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #52
Dragonman4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'll have to look further into this and try it out. Thanks Kev for the info.
2008 E92 335xi - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #53
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Nice pics Kev!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #54
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
No word from Ian as of late. I guess he's still working on a fix. I know that I'm not the only car to have this problem. Another forum member had the exact same problem. I wonder what makes our cars so different from the others? Mine's a 2007. Maybe the 2008's are problem free???
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #55
bimmerboy69
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
It's definitely bright white and will light up your interior very well in the dark. It's tough to capture the amount of light produced by the LEDs with a camera. It's better to see it in person. Here are some examples from another thread:

LED Dome Light

LED Under Door Puddle Light
Kev, your setup looks awesome. Where did you get all of your LED's?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #56
tahoerdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

I installed the interior portion of the Bimmian LED kit last night in a little over an hour. I bought this kit over 4 weeks ago. I'm glad I read this thread & the instructions at Bimmian.com. I would have broken my dome light assembly for sure had I not known about the "clips" holding the dome light assemblies in place. All the LED lights inside are working while the car is not running. I haven't checked to see if there are any issues with flickering lights during engine starts or while running. I initially had some trouble getting some lights to work but after tweaking a few things, success!

If a light doesn't work:

1) Swap out with a different light of the same type.

2) Remove the light and reinstall differently (reverse contacts)

3) Only push the led 80%-90% into the receptacle.

4) Using pliers or a very small screwdriver, slightly adjust some of the led contact wires so they connect better with the contacts in the receptacle.

5) Mess with parking lights, turn car off & on, etc. After a while some of the lights I was working with shut off entirely. I turned on the parking lights, turned the car on, etc. and the lights then illuminated.

The color is much nicer. It's not necessarily brighter though. I think some people would like the dome lights to be a bit brighter. It's just the brightness I want though; I don't want to be blinded if the lights come on at night. I think the stock glove box light is actually brighter as well.

Tools & Supplies:

- small flat head screwdriver

- really small flat head screw driver

- paper towel (to grasp hot bulbs)

- small baggies & post-in notes to store your old bulbs- that way you know where they go if you need to reinstall them.

If you are using a large, dull screwdriver, you're going to have a hell of a time pushing those dome light clips in. All you can see is a small 1/4" wide by 1/16" thick metal tab. You have to press up on it while twisting the screwdriver. Eventually you will get it; it doesn't require a lot of force.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #57
oncyte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
Ian:

The reason why I was asking you to come to me was because I wasn't comfortable with the installation of the bulbs. I wanted to avoid damaging my car. I did significant damage to the frame surrounding my overhead lights trying to get to them. Also, while I was installing the LED's in the footwell, the LED's short circuited and sparked sparatically. Instead of providing me additional help with the installation, you merely send me a link to your website which provides a very brief and half fast installation guide. No where in your installation guide does it say to disconnect the wiring harness from the bulb housing to avoid sparking.

If you designated me as your test car, don't you think it would be a good idea for you to be present for the tests? So you can learn first hand whats wrong? Seems pretty obvious? I guess saving money on gas is more important then perfecting your product?? ( By the way, I would never ask any of my customers to perform hardware installations on their own, they are not qualified and would end up doing more damamge then good. I always travel to them no matter where they are.)

Regardless, this post is going nowhere. I don't want my money back, I want my LED's to function properly. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the discount you gave me. Why do you think I started promoting your products to fellow forum members and I asked for nothing in return? This is how I show my appreciation.

Again, this is nothing personal, strictly business. Please send me another batch of LED's when they are available. Upon receipt, I will send you back the set I have right now. I will continue to keep the community updated as events unfold.
Umm...I read most of the posts....and I don't usually voice my opinion...but...

Since you are asking for help installing the LEDs shouldn't you be the one to drive to Ian's shop not the other way around? Even though you're the guinea pig you were compensated by getting a discount on the product were you not? I'd be estatic if the vendor was willing to do the install for free if I drove to their shop....having them drive up to your house to do an install for free is IMO an unreasonable request. Almost like asking you to come over to my house to cook me dinner if i received a bad meal (only giving this analogy because you said you're in the restaurant industry).

If you're now unwilling to go through their trial and errors I would definitely accept their offer for a refund and buy a set that is guaranteed to work. Like you said....as bmw owners we expect the best......and usually have to pay a premium for it.

This of course is just my opinion....plus I may not have the whole story...dunno why I got worked up on this....

Regardless....Good luck resolving your issue!!
      05-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #58
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

kev are you selling the ones you made with out errors? did you get the license plate lights with out error as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #59
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncyte View Post
Umm...I read most of the posts....and I don't usually voice my opinion...but...

Since you are asking for help installing the LEDs shouldn't you be the one to drive to Ian's shop not the other way around? Even though you're the guinea pig you were compensated by getting a discount on the product were you not? I'd be estatic if the vendor was willing to do the install for free if I drove to their shop....having them drive up to your house to do an install for free is IMO an unreasonable request. Almost like asking you to come over to my house to cook me dinner if i received a bad meal (only giving this analogy because you said you're in the restaurant industry).

If you're now unwilling to go through their trial and errors I would definitely accept their offer for a refund and buy a set that is guaranteed to work. Like you said....as bmw owners we expect the best......and usually have to pay a premium for it.

This of course is just my opinion....plus I may not have the whole story...dunno why I got worked up on this....

Regardless....Good luck resolving your issue!!
indeed!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #60
kennethpetro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i JB/Black Dakota

Kev,

Do you have the BavAuto's 24 LED installed in the front dome light pic you posted with the anthracite headliner?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #61
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I decided to revive this thread, since it's been over 3 months now and I still do not having functioning LED'S. Any memebers who were having problems with Bimmian LED's, have you received working replacements?

I look forward to hearing from all of you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #62
X1 Trojan
Go Dodgers?
Rep
Drives: '13 BSM X1 xdrive35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
I decided to revive this thread, since it's been over 3 months now and I still do not having functioning LED'S. Any memebers who were having problems with Bimmian LED's, have you received working replacements?

I look forward to hearing from all of you.
so far all I have received is two answers:

1) return them

2) "we are working on a fix"

06-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #63
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 Trojan View Post
so far all I have received is two answers:

1) return them

2) "we are working on a fix"

They aern't working on a fix because they don't have access to a 335 with a problem. The owner has decided it's not worth his time or his money (gas) to come to me to trouble shoot the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #64
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

the bimmian interior HID in my dome light burned out within a week

Last edited by TK-421; 06-30-2008 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #65
kennethpetro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i JB/Black Dakota

I posted this on another thread but these are my results from the interior LED setup for an 08 E92 coupe:

Actually the kit i ordered for a 2008 e92 coupe enabled me to replace the;

Vanity Mirror lights (both sides)
Front and Rear center dome lights
Front and Rear Map/Reading lights
Glove Box Light
Rear footwell lights (both sides)
Front footwell lights (both sides)
Lights under the door that come on when you open them (both sides)
Interior trunk light
Since i have a 2008 my car already had LED for the license plate so i have an additional one left over.
That was every light i could find in the car.
None of the LED's ever threw an error (thank god) just issues with(see below)

Every one of them work perfectly, except the front and rear dome & Map/Reading lights, they're all whacked out.

When i initially get into my car and start (remaining parked) it i am always able to turn on both the dome and map lights, but you can only leave them on for about 30 seconds then they go off and all the under door LED's, rear footwell LED's & front footwell LED's all turn on. When you go to turn on either the front or rear dome lights, all the floor LED's turn off but the dome lights don't turn on, so there are no LEDs on at this point.

The map lights may or may not work at this point either. They may make the floor LED's turn on, or they may work, there is no set pattern to it, the dome lights are the only ones that will never turn back on until you stop and start your car again. Keep in mind this is all while parked because when your driving it reacts differently (a little).

(While Driving) Sometimes the dome lights work perfectly and they'll stay on for longer then 30 seconds, on the other hand after 30 seconds they'll turn off the floor LED's go on. Other times the dome lights won't go on at all, they just act as a switch to turn on or off the floor LED's, which you NEVER need while driving.

(While Driving) The map lights will always go on but sometimes they'll stay on longer than 30 seconds and sometimes they'll go off and act like a switch to turn on/off the floor LED's.

I just use the vanity mirror LED's as my dome lights while driving or parked because they are VERY VERY VERY bright and stay on forever. It's a workaround but not having the dome & map lights work is a f**king pain in the ass. I've tried removing the LED's from the 4 map lights and only having LED's in the dome lights, same results. I've tried the reverse of that with LED's in the map lights and not in the dome lights, same results.

I've been dealing with having to work around the issues with the dome/map LED's only because i never wanted to try and explain all the different scenarios in a post but i'm hungover at work today and just don't feel like doing anything productive, so here i am writing this LOL

To sum it all up, the LED's look AWSOME and you can use the vanity mirrors as your dome lights but i'm finding that to be MORE AND MORE AND MORE annoying to deal with.

So im asking Jlevi (where i got the LED set) for some on how to fix the issue (if there even is one)
2011 Jet Black 328i, 6-Speed Manual, Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminum, Harmon Kardon w/ Surround Sound, Navi, BMW Apps, iPod & USB Adapter, BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth, Full LED Interior, 6000k HID Fogs, Matte Black Kidney Grills, M3 Lip Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, 19" Beyern Black Mesh *19x8.5 front(ET40)* *19x9.5 rear(ET30)*
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #66
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

looks like my purchase on these LEDs will be on hold until they solve this problem.