E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 1 second on black ice = hit I cannot afford.

01-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #23
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Are you forced to only use your current insurance?

I don't know much about Canadian insurance rates but a $2400 hike per year after a minor no fault type accident seems silly high.

As an example I pay $390 for 6 months of full coverage on my wifes car and my 335i. That works our to ~$60 a month.

Do you have prior accidents or driving infractions?
Insurance rates are ridiculous in Canada - his rates are higher than average because he's a 22 year old male, but on the whole our rates are higher up here
I guess they consider it a 'collision' which means premiums will go up. The amount they go up will be based on statistics in the area for the OP's demographic.

In Ontario black-ice accidents are covered under comprehensive as long as you had winter/all season tires and weren't driving like an ass. (I think that's the legal term... driving like an ass.)

OP: If the road wasn't maintained properly you could try arguing that with the insurance company, perhaps? (ie: wasn't salted/sanded?)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
pillbox
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

When I was 18 and insured my first car (93 rx7), I paid just under 4100/year. I feel your pain OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #25
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Never mind my PM.
Sorry, but jumped in repy thread too fast.
4 k is good price.

Good for you and screw Icbc rip off assssswipes.
DN
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #26
jasonat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 323i

Hey guys, I just received a call from Brian Jessel BMW in regards to fixing the wheel bearing.

They have replaced the front left side and claim to have reduced the vibration and noise from 50km to 65-70km range. They take it as new tires would be required + front right rim is slightly bent. Additionally, they say the right front wheel bearing might need replacement as well.

I understand I didn't pay full $10k to fix the issue, but I was assured that the damage from the hit would all be fixed when I wrote a cheque for $4k. They found a crack in the threads of my right tire too, but if I recall correctly, he replaced the old tire with a used one.

I will contact the repair guy and see what he says.

@pillbox - sonofabitch, 4100 is just nuts. Have you seen latest affordability stats for Vancouver? We're 2nd most unaffordable after Hong Kong!

@DarkNemesis - Thanks for the message man, it seems like I may need your advice soon after all

@SP3333D - Whatever you guys have there, people would absolutely adore these rates here. Heck, double that amount would still be a charm.

@Three_thirty_I - Thank you! Man, this whole car owning thing comes with a nasty cheque..

@XM_Rocks , @AdamN52 - After speaking with ICBC, they even charged me $175 for estimating the damage. Quite honestly, simply speaking with them (and staying on hold for 80% of our conversation) is a nerve wracking experience that yields no results. But you're right, as soon as I have a free day to spend some time with them, I will bring it up, won't hurt the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #27
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Ok, now I still say call me.
Sent you my cell.
PS: paid 675 for new staggered tires all around.
And I like em.

DN
Appreciate 0