E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Trust no.....cab?

04-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Trust no.....cab?

For you people in the Halton Region....here is a little heads-up for you all:

Quote:
ITS A TRAP!

but seriously though, it IS a trap, if you live in Halton region that is.

you'd be all happy zooming by then you think you see a taxi but noo its a TRAP!

did you know the # on the taxi is actually that of the Halton Regional Police Service Georgetown Station?

It is, after running a search it comes out as:
Halton Regional Police Service Georgetown Station
217 Guelph St
Georgetown, ON L7G 4A8
(905) 878-5511

oh noes.

So what are our options?

Call (905) 878-5511 and...
1) Order a taxi.
2) Complain that their taxi cut you off

lol, seriously tho just spreading the word so y'all drive safe.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
shagkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: a....V8

Thats low and dirty
      04-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
peep'd this on the vdub forums

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4328100
      04-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
ktm2006
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535i M Sport

is there really anything wrong with the cops doing this?

just think about it....if you are diving normally and following the rules why should this effect you? why do we need to get mad and upset and seek justice as some message boards are saying?

if your driving like those punks with their really fast civics cutting in and out of lanes....running stop signs etc etc they you have to be worried...

some complain about the new 50+ over the limit vehicle seizure....again is there really anything wrong with this......if you are doing 50 over in any zone you should have your car impounded...no questions asked...its just stupid

BTW if you guys look at the stats....since the new law for 50 over came into effect...want to know how many of those cars were "souped up" as Fantino said they would catch.....come on take a guess?

2%....the rest were all soccer moms and dads the laws work lets support them and not fight it...
      04-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Well, I guess the driver can get a "taxi" right away if the driver drove 50km/h over the limits...
      04-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvo_srt4 View Post

just think about it....if you are diving normally and following the rules why should this effect you? why do we need to get mad and upset and seek justice as some message boards are saying?

if your driving like those punks with their really fast civics cutting in and out of lanes....running stop signs etc etc they you have to be worried...

some complain about the new 50+ over the limit vehicle seizure....again is there really anything wrong with this......if you are doing 50 over in any zone you should have your car impounded...no questions asked...its just stupid

BTW if you guys look at the stats....since the new law for 50 over came into effect...want to know how many of those cars were "souped up" as Fantino said they would catch.....come on take a guess?

2%....the rest were all soccer moms and dads the laws work lets support them and not fight it...
No one is questioning there should be a punishment for 50 over. It's the fact that the cop with the overinflated sense of self worth gets to decide what he wants to do roadside. Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? I guess not. You get your license suspended and car impounded and a minimum 2k fine cause fat head might be having a bad day. If he's in a good mood, you might just get lucky. Let's get real here, the limit of 100km/h on the 401 is a total joke. You can't even go 100 in the right lane without being run off the road, or passed by an 80 year old granny. Especially once you're past city limits.

It's hilarious how the call it 'street racing' when you're not even racing anyone. Just trying to exacerbate the situation. A cop on a power trip has plenty of other opportunities to take advantage of the law is he feels like it and you don't have to be doing 50 over the limit. What a great police state we're living in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

wow, thats a shocker, i havent got a problem with it, in Vancouver, ive seen Toyota Camry, Dodge Caravans, Various domestic pickups

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
perfectg
I pwn u
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 Audi Q5

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
daym
      04-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
KkSc
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 13'FR-S/15' F80 M3

DAMN!!!

2015 F80 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
w2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. Apart from the fact that due process and the rule of law are being abandoned in favour of letting police officers act as judge, jury and executioner at the side of the road. Traditionally, in our system of justice, you have to be found guilty of an offence before you can be punished for it. With laws like this, you are automatically punished at the time you are charged with the offence (with additional punishment to follow if you are among the 33% or so who are ultimately convicted).

Police officers are drawn from the same society you live in -- the same people you see around you every day. They aren't incorruptible or infallible and, while most are decent and honest and try to do the right thing (like most everyone else) that doesn't mean that they can't make mistakes or that some won't use their power maliciously or capriciously, or simply be overzealous. If a police officer has the power to seize your license and vehicle by simply claiming you were going 50 km/h over the speed limit (or the even easier to allege "stunt driving") you lose a lot of power when dealing which police at the roadside: assert your rights only if you are willing to risk having your car taken from you if you happen to annoy the wrong sort of cop. You'll get it back in a week, and the charges may be dropped, but you'll end up hundreds or thousands of dollars poorer for your troubles. These are the reasons we have judicial oversight: why the person who charges you can't be the person who convicts you, and why you can't be punished before you are proved guilty and convicted. The street racing law jeopardizes this basic pillar of our justice system.

In addition, the law's penalty is disproportionate. Driving 50 km/h over the speed limit is not particularly dangerous in many circumstances. On most parts of the 401, the average speed is 20-30 km/h over the posted limit, and the highway can easily handle higher speeds with modern cars if conditions are good. Yet, the minimum penalty for going 150 km/h on the 401 is substantially greater than even the maximum penalty for careless driving. Punishments are supposed to be proportionate to the seriousness of the offence itself. The attitude of "you broke the law, so you deserve whatever you get" is a dangerous one, especially because we all break the law all the time: it is virtually impossible to live a normal life without violating laws on a regular basis, usually without realizing it. The law, if not tempered by strong civil rights and judicial oversight, gives the government enough latitude to harass and intimidate anyone because of how broadly offences are defined.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
MMMM_Fun
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i AW, 92 Miata

Isn't there a law that police officers properly identify themselves? How many people would actually pull over if this was behind them? It sure looks like a taxi and with things like car jackings and robberies going on, it would be reasonable to assume that some people would think this is a hoax. Not safe. Just the opposite of what they are trying to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Ottawa Police do this all the time. A cop that worked undercover used to live across the street from me and bring the "Cab" home all the time. From the outside it looked like an inconspicuous taxi, inside it had no meter or taxi dispatch but it had full police laptops, radios and gun racks. He said they used it not for traffic duty but rather for surveillance. As someone that drives a cab from time to time now, I know that a cab can get away with driving in some sketchy ass neighborhoods at whatever time and nobody will bat an eye. I only work a couple days a week and see so many drug deals, grow-ops, prostitutes, etc. This guy just drives around in the shitty neighborhoods and radios in to the uniformed dudes whenever he sees something. Apparently it works quite well because a lot of cabs are just old police cars, and they can also get away with having big whips on them for the radio and talking on the dispatch because Cabs do that too.

For Ottawa folks: Unless you are doing something very stupid you don't need to worry, the guy that drives it (there is only one cop although it might be a different one now, I haven't talked to that guy in years) is pretty laid back and isn't out to bust people for minor traffic infractions. Last I heard it was a non-descript 00-05 Blue Chevy Impala operating under the Blue Line roofsign with tinted windows. They change the cab number regularly so they don't get "made", all the sedan cabs in Ottawa are numbered 1-1200 but there are about 200 numbers in there that are not assigned and the cops have fake Taxi Plates with all those numbers and swap them out as well as the numbers on the decals and roofsign. Best indicator? Look for a white dude driving a taxi as there are only like 5 white legitimate Blue Line drivers.
      04-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
zuluZero
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i sport BSM

Quote:

+1

Beware the soccer moms - they are a political force to be reckoned with, and very short on time. Fantino could awaken the beast...soccer moms vs. the nanny police state they helped create.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Road Cone1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMM_Fun View Post
Isn't there a law that police officers properly identify themselves? How many people would actually pull over if this was behind them? It sure looks like a taxi and with things like car jackings and robberies going on, it would be reasonable to assume that some people would think this is a hoax. Not safe. Just the opposite of what they are trying to do.
Haha that's what I'll do if this car tries to pull me over, just keep on driving!
Afterwards, when the police stop me with a road block, I'll state "I thought it was some crazy taxi driver with disco lights on his car.
That thing doesn't look like a cop car. I feared for my life"
Lots of Miatas
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Cone1 View Post
Haha that's what I'll do if this car tries to pull me over, just keep on driving!
Afterwards, when the police stop me with a road block, I'll state "I thought it was some crazy taxi driver with disco lights on his car.
That thing doesn't look like a cop car. I feared for my life"
Just make sure you take a picture of the cop/cab car and show it to the judge (or your lawyer).

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
Evolution_GT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08A22E93N52

I called them today... kept demanding a taxi.... had a pretty good laugh
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
Wai328
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_GT View Post
I called them today... kept demanding a taxi.... had a pretty good laugh
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Pft...just taxis? You guys in Ontario have it so easy...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/radar.asp

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #19
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Pft...just taxis? You guys in Ontario have it so easy...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/radar.asp

hahhaa...if that were outside my house, i would pour some real trash inside... let's say 1/2 a gallon of used cooking oil??

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #20
veightkiller
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

WoW thats new.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
nospleeny
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

Wouldn't something like that (ie. recycle bin) be considered entrapment??? Sort of like putting a photo radar (with no cops around) on a stretch of highway that EVERYBODY speeds.

Maybe the taxi cab would be considered entrapment too! Because if it was speeding and people followed it and didn't see ANY identifying marks to relate it to a law enforcement vehicle......
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospleeny View Post
Wouldn't something like that (ie. recycle bin) be considered entrapment??? Sort of like putting a photo radar (with no cops around) on a stretch of highway that EVERYBODY speeds.

Maybe the taxi cab would be considered entrapment too! Because if it was speeding and people followed it and didn't see ANY identifying marks to relate it to a law enforcement vehicle......
how is that even close to entrapment? because another vehicle (under cover or not) is speeding and you choose to speed as well? How did the other vehicle "trap" you into speeding?

Personally, there should be more effort towards crimes other than speeding, but since municipalities collect revenues from tickets (inc. parking), their efforts are usually misaligned with what the public actually needs.
Appreciate 0