E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help! Overheating Issue

05-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Cpe MT/01 X5 3.0 Sprt

Help! Overheating Issue

Hello Community,

My wife's car is a 2001 E53 x5 3.0

This car has been really good to us, we keep up with all maintenance, and it has never overheated.

I am reaching out for some guidance. Within the last 72 hrs I have spent $800.00 changing the water pump, auxiliary pump, and the car overheats when driven.

I changed the thermostat last year. I'm at 160K I am stumped and would like to figure out what is wrong before I get reamed for more money. I am putting unnecessary mileage on my e92 driving my wife everywhere :P because she can't drive stick.

My indy mechanic has let it idle for 20-30 mins without issues, bleeds the system, and drives it for 20 minutes and its fine.

We happen to get in and drive it for a 1.5 miles to further test, and the needle gradually goes to the red.

Here is the kicker, the car shows no symptoms of overheating, no smoke, the car does not shut off, or drive differently, it actually drives smoother haha.. we don't want to risk anything so we immediately pull over and send it back to the shop.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I really do not want to continue throwing money at it. I am glad I have done all this work, and wont ask for a refund since I was intending to do this work in the summer.

The fan and radiator are fine, the shop has been working on it since Wed this week..

What could they be missing? Could it really be as simple as the coolant sensor?

Is there anything we should try? The guys at the shop have been cool enough not to charge me labor for the auxiliary pump, but I do not want to buy any more unnecessary parts that I know are not needed.

I appreciate any input you may have on this matter.

I'm at my wits end.. and I don't want to go to the stealer.

Last edited by engeslen; 05-27-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Bleed the system?....
Or
Purge the system?
Look up water pump and tstat diy....at the end it tells you how to purge the system of air.

1) key in ignition.....press start without brake.
2) turn internal blower fan to lowest speed.
3) turn both temps to highest.
4) press gas pedal all the way for 10 sec.
5) water pump activates for 12 min.
6) start a timer on your phone.

Which one did the Indy shop do?

Last edited by BashShah; 05-30-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
MR.BLUECOLLARMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 06 325i Sedan Silver

Have them scan for codes? That would at least point us in the right direction. If the engine is in the same temperature range but the gauge keeps going up it sounds like a sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

Thanks DarkNemesis, they are interfacing with BMW directly at this point, they have a feeling they are not doing it properly, there are no leaks, things are operating just fine when idle, I'll be in touch with them today hopefully there's some good news.

Last edited by engeslen; 05-31-2016 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #5
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

Thanks MR.BLUECOLLARMAN I did notice the heat was on when we picked it up Friday but it overheated within a mile or so, I'll run through these steps with them to see and further research on my end. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

Update: they are bringing in a tool for testing of exhaust fumes/hydrocarbons in the coolant to see if its a head gasket issue, I can't believe that to be the case, I really hope its not the head gasket, I dont see any visible symptoms..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

Getting rid of it, was quoted 1100.00 for the tear down, no guarantee the warranty co will cover the work at 20 hrs quoted for the head job.. sad to see her go, but I am going to trade it in, and see what I can get for it. Don't think its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by engeslen View Post
Getting rid of it, was quoted 1100.00 for the tear down, no guarantee the warranty co will cover the work at 20 hrs quoted for the head job.. sad to see her go, but I am going to trade it in, and see what I can get for it. Don't think its worth it.
So it failed the block test? Did you have any other head gasket symptoms?

When did it first start to overheat? Your X5 has an M54, right?

The M54 can definitely blow the head gasket if it gets too hot, but they almost never fail otherwise. If you didn't badly overheat it to begin with, I would be hesitant to think that the issue is the head gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #9
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

I think the shop is stringing me along, Friday they called me and said there is fuel in my cooling system, the car was not smoking out of the exhaust at all when I took it to them.. now it is, I think they screwed up. Mind you I drove it home for 10 mins and it did not overheat... O_O Its definitely an M54, one last ditch effort since it showed a sign of life is taking it to a shop that specializes in cooling systems and head gaskets. I will probably have to shell out over 2K but at this point, its better than getting a new car. Mind you it was only a gauge thing, the car never showed any symptoms of overheating. I'll see what this new shop says, they are booked and wont come pick it up until Wed this week.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

Block test is being performed properly by a engine rebuild shop, they issued a quote for a new engine, and head gasket job, depending on the route I want to take, results are pending at this point. I spoke to one of the owners, once I issued all symptoms he was hesitant it was the head gasket, they want it for a couple days, to check the expansion tank, sensors, and all other components, etc hope to know something soon..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
engeslen
Launchness
United_States
Rep

No Engine Issues :)

Passed compression test, passed head gasket test, issue is with the fan clutch... parts are being ordered tomorrow.. it took them over 30 mins to have it over heat with the AC on... I am so pissed the other shop was trying to string me along for $.. Comes to show there are still good honest people out there willing to test for over a week to get you results.

Last edited by engeslen; 06-14-2016 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 1