E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DME/ECU VIN change, CAS & FOB. Wont pass DEQ/Emissions

12-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
iEatSand
Private
Rep
Drives: EvoIX, 135i, Fisker Karma ES

DME/ECU VIN change, CAS & FOB. Wont pass DEQ/Emissions

I posted this on the 1 forums but figured I'd give it a shot on the e90 forums aswell since our cars are very similar.

Long story short I purchased a 135i from Florida. Florida emissions is different than Oregon. The ECU on my 135i is from a 335i. The ECU/DME's VIN is not identical to the VIN on my 135i's body so it will not pass DEQ/Emissions.

I ran a carfax on the VIN that is on the DME/ECU, and the car is not stolen etc.. It's actually located in New York and is still being driven to this day(odd that they sold the DME off).

I'm almost certain that whoever had this 135i before me bought a new DME, CAS, and FOB(matching), or else it wouldn't have been able to run without bypassing or emulating a lot of different things on the DME/CAS.

My question is in regards to changing the VIN in the DME/ECU to match the VIN on the chassis of the car.

By changing the VIN on my DME/ECU will I need to purchase a new CAS/FOB? Or since the CAS was already programmed will the car still start/run once I simply input a new VIN on the DME?

If the VIN on the CAS is different from the VIN(new) that I'll be changing the DME to, will I need to buy a new CAS and FOB, or is there a way to remove the CAS/FOB and have it reprogrammed to synchronize with the DME's VIN.

Crazy situation that I somehow ended up in, but I know someone has gone through something similar considering how many used DME's are on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

You can change the VIN in any module using WinKFP, Tool32 or NCSExpert.

The VIN has nothing to do with the synchronization of DME, CAS and key fob. FWIW, that synchronization requires special tools. But the bottom line is you don't need to worry about it - you will not need to buy new modules if all you want to do is change the VIN.

That said, whether you'll pass inspection in Oregon I have no idea. It will depend on how the VIN is read by the inspection software. The issue is that the DME stores VIN information in an area of memory called the UIF or AIF. When you change the VIN, the original entry is not overwritten - instead, a new entry is created. You can keep changing the VIN until you run out of room in the memory allocated to the UIF.

Some software will read the first UIF entry (MHD flasher does or used to do this), others will read the current UIF entry. I think the odds are that standard OBDII calls will be used by the inspection software and that the DME will return the last entered VIN. Just guessing tho.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
iEatSand
Private
Rep
Drives: EvoIX, 135i, Fisker Karma ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
You can change the VIN in any module using WinKFP, Tool32 or NCSExpert.

The VIN has nothing to do with the synchronization of DME, CAS and key fob. FWIW, that synchronization requires special tools. But the bottom line is you don't need to worry about it - you will not need to buy new modules if all you want to do is change the VIN.

That said, whether you'll pass inspection in Oregon I have no idea. It will depend on how the VIN is read by the inspection software. The issue is that the DME stores VIN information in an area of memory called the UIF or AIF. When you change the VIN, the original entry is not overwritten - instead, a new entry is created. You can keep changing the VIN until you run out of room in the memory allocated to the UIF.

Some software will read the first UIF entry (MHD flasher does or used to do this), others will read the current UIF entry. I think the odds are that standard OBDII calls will be used by the inspection software and that the DME will return the last entered VIN. Just guessing tho.
Do I have to use one of those programs? My brother has a killer scan tool thing. I was able to reset modules and change info around with it on my E55. Curious if I could use that to change the VIN and not brick my ECU
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatSand View Post
Do I have to use one of those programs? My brother has a killer scan tool thing. I was able to reset modules and change info around with it on my E55. Curious if I could use that to change the VIN and not brick my ECU
You cannot use a typical scan tool to do this. You will need either the freely available BMW software (www.bimmergeeks.net) or software costing several thousand dollars (AutoHexII etc)
Appreciate 0