E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Donor DME and CAS and coding gone wrong

11-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
PanAm
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35I

Donor DME and CAS and coding gone wrong

Recently a friend had water damage on his 2008 335i and got a replacement used one from Ebay. After installed it worked well. Car ran BUT had a bunch of errors and the scanners couldn't really read what was going on due to a "communication error".

While checking on the car order using Protools, noticed that the donor DME and CAS were from a 335xi, and part on the Vehicle order it had a bunch of stuff his car didn't have so he proceeded to remove a few like the 4x4 and nav system.

After that he mentioned he saved the changes and he could hear things going in the car but after it was completed, gauge cluster needles went dead, no gear indicator neither. The radio says TUNER ERROR and the AC doesn't work.

When I attempted to read the VIN on the modules it points to the donor car VIN not his VIN. The car starts but he is afraid fans may not turn on or something may cause a critical failure.

Any pointers on where to find manuals, detailed info on how to AT LEAST return it to where it was (cluster, A/C, radio working) or help him sort out the coding for all the modules to have his VIN and proper vehicle order instead of the mashup he has?

I've seen bits and pieces here and there about winfkp or ncsexpert but nothing similar to what he is going through or how to proceed. I've downloaded some of these tools from bimmergeeks website and INPA doesn't work on my car for some reason. Haven't tried it on his (he is a couple of hrs away).

I would also like to learn more about coding for my own car.

Input is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.facebook.com/GcodingBMW
I believe this guy is good at this stuff.

Getting Inpa and Ista D/P going on your own car would be a
first step. If you want to do these kind of things yourself.

also for serious programming and Icom cable and regulated power
supply is needed Most bus stuff can't be done at all without and
Icom after 3/07 build date.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-12-2019 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
PanAm
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
https://www.facebook.com/GcodingBMW
I believe this guy is good at this stuff.

Getting Inpa and Ista D/P going on your own car would be a
first step. If you want to do these kind of things yourself.

also for serious programming and Icom cable and regulated power
supply is needed Most bus stuff can't be done at all without and
Icom after 3/07 build date.
Thanks for the reply. I've sent a message to the business listed above. But the car is not in the US and shipping a DME wouldn't outrageously expensive, hence why I'm trying to help him out with it.

So far I've gotten the Dcan cable an the full license for Protools ($200 right there in both things). Thought I could get most stuff done with the Dcan. Silly me.

I would be serious but sadly haven't found much reliable info about the topic to get properly educated. Looking for ICOM cables I see most are the chinese knock off and it's a gamble for them to work or not. Any known good vendor?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
icon2015
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320d ~200 bhp

You can find your cars VO from the FRM, and after that write it in your CAS and code CAS and DME. But, from my experience, you might need to flash your DME with the former version of your DME flash. I suggest that your friend should go to a local BMW garage.
Appreciate 0