E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

02-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #221
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

I installed my unit last night and my impressions after 1/2 a day are in general positive. The installation was straight forward when following CarAudioCraze's instruction posted on page 1 of this thread.

There was one step that I'd like to give warning on. It's the first step actually. When trying to remove the climate control unit and when you stick the credit card in, be careful to not bend the trim. The Climate control unit is attached to the trim piece. This trim piece is pretty thin and fragile. I slightly bent mine and damaged one of the clips that attach to the climate control unit itself.

Cons

-navigating the unit (read: Not navigation software) is cumbersome and not very intuitive. After you get familiar, it gets better but at first you'll be wondering how to do things.

-Steering wheel controls work pretty well, however in my 07 E90 the phone button does not actually initiate the bluetooth source. The button works because when I press it I get "Invalid Button" feedback on the Dynavin unit so it's telling me the button press is recognized. This is unfortunate because Bluetooth isn't accessible by toggling sources. You have to press in on the right dial button to get to Bluetooth. While on this screen you can make and receive calls as well as stream via A2DP. If you leave this screen to view navigation or other source then you lose the A2DP streaming

-This unit does not have midbass control settings, I saw images from other Dynavin units that I thought were up to date that had an adjustable midbass control. This unit does not.

-The SD card, which can be changed, that comes with the unit is Blue in color and IMO is conspicuous. With the care taken to match the aesthetics of the car a black SD card should be used. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

-The black seat heater control relocation piece, despite pictures on the web, is actually a shiny gloss black finish as opposed to a flat black finish. This IMO makes it look worse as all of the black trim in my car is a flat black. Other than that it works well and includes relocation of the LEDs that were in the factory ashtray. I'm probably going to look into the metra item since I do not smoke and have no need for an ashtray.

Pros

-It works and gives you much more flexibility than the factory radio

-It looks like it belongs in the car, not absolutely perfect, particularly how it sticks out slightly at the bottom, but doesn't have that aftermarket look

-Is customizable and has the potential to be a killer device if some of the quirks are worked out with firmware updates
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #222
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Good review

I hope Dynavin will make a version for us without the Automatic climate control unit.
Time will show I recon
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #223
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredvesone View Post
Good review

I hope Dynavin will make a version for us without the Automatic climate control unit.
Time will show I recon
I don't think it's going to happen. Doesn't the manual climate control knobs actually turn something mechanical, meaning that relocating that knob isn't going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #224
Tredvesone
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

No, the only difference is the front design. The turning knobs are positioned a few mm further to the right/edge on each side compared to the automatic control. Same input and cables on the back of each control unit.

You can replace the unit, but people who have done this did not get it 100% working because of the fan control went mental. The car was not programmed for automatic etc...
On the other side, I´m still waiting for a 100% correct answer if I can replace my manual with automatic control unit. And if this will work 100% with some programming.
Some say yes, but I need someone to confirm this 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #225
jitinmistry
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

I found this on another Greece forum. See page 3 for a temporary solution to the fan issue.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...%26prmd%3Divns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine328i View Post
Mine has been pretty loud a few times that i have noticed. I will ask Dynavin if there is anything they can do. I would assume that they can do some sort of firmware fix to change the parameters of when it runs. But i also know that one of my vent tubes behind the radio is disconnected and blowing hot air in there instead of through the vents so that probably isnt helping me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #226
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Here are a few quick pics I snapped with my iPhone4 at lunch so people can get a better view of how this unit sits in the dash. I knew going into it that it stuck out a bit at the bottom and it sort of bothered me but it no longer does. Some of these images exaggerate due to the angle I took the picture from.

Ignore the messy dash area, I haven't cleaned up since the installation last night.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #227
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

heard that the newer version supports papago map.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #228
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

I'm on the fence on this unit, Did you guys upgrade the GUI so it doesnt look so cheap?
      02-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #229
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
heard that the newer version supports papago map.
I haven't seen papago in my searches but it should support any GPS capable of running on a WinCE platform. Versions that I've seen are iGo, Primo, Tom Tom, Navaigon, Ndrive and some versions of Garmin.

Im sure there are others. I installed Primo last night as it seems to be the most popular on these Dynavin units by our e46 brothers. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like, in Russian I think,

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #230
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I'm on the fence on this unit, Did you guys upgrade the GUI so it doesnt look so cheap?
Who are you referring to as "You guys". I don't work for Dynavin or a distributer and I don't believe anyone in this thread does. Where you maybe referring to upgrading the navigation software, if so, see post above this one.

The unit GUI isn't all that bad. It was recently updated and is what is referred to as V5. Versions 1 through 4 had a different look but it didn't look as OEM which is the goal of this unit. This is why the GUI uses a lot of the orange color.

I think if they are going to upgrade this unit, I'd like to see them make it a bit snappier and make bluetooth part of the source tree like other sources (as of now it's a separate mode basically).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #231
LuvMyRide
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
2006 E90 Xi  [0.00]
Verrry effin coool!!!!!!!!!!! Now how and where do we get this superior nav software??????
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Here are a few quick pics I snapped with my iPhone4 at lunch so people can get a better view of how this unit sits in the dash. I knew going into it that it stuck out a bit at the bottom and it sort of bothered me but it no longer does. Some of these images exaggerate due to the angle I took the picture from.

Ignore the messy dash area, I haven't cleaned up since the installation last night.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #232
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
-The SD card, which can be changed, that comes with the unit is Blue in color and IMO is conspicuous. With the care taken to match the aesthetics of the car a black SD card should be used. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Nothing a little black sharpie coloring of the SD card end that shows shouldn't fix
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #233
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Nothing a little black sharpie coloring of the SD card end that shows shouldn't fix
Mod successfully installed
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #234
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyRide View Post
Verrry effin coool!!!!!!!!!!! Now how and where do we get this superior nav software??????
Ok, here is how it's done:

First I would pop the SD card that came with your Dynavin and make a folder on your computer called "Old iGo 8.0" or something so that you can revert to it if for some reason you need to.

Download iGo Primo here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b582a65/n/Darkoz.zip

This will include everything ready to go except for the maps. If you're in the US download the maps here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b463...oz-US-maps.zip

Once both downloads are done, extract all of the maps into primo's content folder, the directory is Primo/Content/Map

Then simply copy the entire Primo folder onto an SD card, the 2gig that comes with the unit works fine (even better after you apply black sharpie to hide the blue color). The Primo.exe file should be in the root of the SD card. When you stick it into the Dynavin, under navigation setup, you'll have to point it to launch this .exe instead of the igo8.exe that it'll be looking for.

I'm still testing and tweaking with Primo, namely I need to learn where to adjust the settings so that the voice doesn't kick on at .5 miles, .25 miles and then at my turn. 3 notifications for a single turn are a bit much for my taste.

Last edited by scubasteve2365; 02-25-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #235
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Mod successfully installed
plasti dip that ugly glossy black, its ruining the look of your clean setup. matte black will look much better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #236
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

I just got my Dynavin delivered tonight I took it out of the box and just stared at it...today is almost like Christmas!

The number of wires and connections are a little overwhelming

Does anyone know how the reverse wire works/connects? Is there something to connect that signals the HU that the car is in reverse if the camera is installed?

Has anyone routed the external mic to the OEM or behind mirror position? If so, and tips?

Is the AUX out RCA able to be connected to the OEM AUX cable which runs into the armrest?

What is the GPS USB and other USB cable for?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #237
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Ok, here is how it's done:

First I would pop the SD card that came with your Dynavin and make a folder on your computer called "Old iGo 8.0" or something so that you can revert to it if for some reason you need to.

Download iGo Primo here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b582a65/n/Darkoz.zip

This will include everything ready to go except for the maps. If you're in the US download the maps here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b463...oz-US-maps.zip

Once both downloads are done, extract all of the maps into primo's content folder, the directory is Primo/Content/Map

Then simply copy the entire Primo folder onto an SD card, the 2gig that comes with the unit works fine (even better after you apply black sharpie to hide the blue color). The Primo.exe file should be in the root of the SD card. When you stick it into the Dynavin, under navigation setup, you'll have to point it to launch this .exe instead of the igo8.exe that it'll be looking for.

I'm still testing and tweaking with Primo, namely I need to learn where to adjust the settings so that the voice doesn't kick on at .5 miles, .25 miles and then at my turn. 3 notifications for a single turn are a bit much for my taste.
The link for the US maps is no longer active. Can you check it again?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:13 PM   #238
M_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I haven't seen papago in my searches but it should support any GPS capable of running on a WinCE platform. Versions that I've seen are iGo, Primo, Tom Tom, Navaigon, Ndrive and some versions of Garmin.

Im sure there are others. I installed Primo last night as it seems to be the most popular on these Dynavin units by our e46 brothers. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like, in Russian I think,

I have no knowledge about the gps thing, but I was told that the current version doesn't support papago due to cpu speed. heard that the new batch will have 600mhz cpu for euro and asia markets, not sure about us market tho.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #239
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
The link for the US maps is no longer active. Can you check it again?
Fixed
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #240
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_M View Post
I have no knowledge about the gps thing, but I was told that the current version doesn't support papago due to cpu speed. heard that the new batch will have 600mhz cpu for euro and asia markets, not sure about us market tho.
It's all Greek to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #241
halofox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Hi:

I'm in Southern California.
I just got this unit but I really don't know how to install it
Does anyone know where I can find a place to install it?
I live near Riverside/San Bernardino.
Any Suggestion??
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #242
MxMark
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 auto nav only

Quote:
Originally Posted by halofox View Post
Hi:

I'm in Southern California.
I just got this unit but I really don't know how to install it
Does anyone know where I can find a place to install it?
I live near Riverside/San Bernardino.
Any Suggestion??
Thanks!!
Hi, Pacific Stereo just did one. They are on Tyler in Riv
Appreciate 0