E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > USA 3 series recall - UK too?

11-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #23
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post

We'll have to wait and see if the work actually goes ahead in December.
Let us know how it goes, hopefully it goes smoothly from now. I'll ring up and see if i can nudge them a bit to get mine done.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #24
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d se

My recall finally going in on the 17th this month (4week delay) as they only sorting the recalls on a Saturday

I also received another letter this saturday saying parts are in now and to phone my local bmw dealer with reg number and they will check to see if your in the recall list

Both parts the plug for the heater and the positive cable, they say it takes 90 mins to do both parts

I didn’t ask about courtesy car as I was going to walk into town for that time for a coffee and a walk around town
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3tribut10n View Post

Both parts the plug for the heater and the positive cable, they say it takes 90 mins to do both parts

I didn’t ask about courtesy car as I was going to walk into town for that time for a coffee and a walk around town
Your dealer must have faster Technicians than mine as they originally wanted all day to do the heater and battery cables. They have now reduced that to 4 hours because I am going to sit there and watch them do it!

Anyone who has had this done already can fill us in on how long it takes?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #26
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

The paper work I received Saturday states it takes 2 hrs to do the job, but the techs can do it in around 90 mins
In the next few days people should recieve another letter like the recall letter from bmw, saying important safety recall Action Required
Installing repair cable for positive battery terminal line and checking reworking heating and air conditioning blower regulator plug connection

I have finally managed to attach pics of both sides of the letter I received Saturday so you can see for yourself
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #27
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I received a letter like that dated 17th October and despite me calling immediately after I received it the first date they could offer me was 11th December so important is the action required.

Perhaps my extra 2 hours will be absorbed by my free wash and vacuum but I'd rather forego that and be on my way in 90 minutes!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #28
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The paper work I received Saturday states it takes 2 hrs to do the job, but the techs can do it in around 90 mins
In the next few days people should recieve another letter like the recall letter from bmw, saying important safety recall Action Required
Installing repair cable for positive battery terminal line and checking reworking heating and air conditioning blower regulator plug connection

I have finally managed to attach pics of both sides of the letter I received Saturday so you can see for yourself
Quote:
Yes I received a letter like that dated 17th October and despite me calling immediately after I received it the first date they could offer me was 11th December so important is the action required.

Perhaps my extra 2 hours will be absorbed by my free wash and vacuum but I'd rather forego that and be on my way in 90 minutes!
Sounds like more people are getting the letters as I also have now got mine. Haven't called up to get an available date yet but will try this weekend and find out how long they expect the job to take.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #29
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

just dropped car off at bmw..they arranged a taxi for me home,,15 mles away..they have an account with the firm,,was talking to taxi driver,,picking me up also..must be costing them a fortune..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #30
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
..must be costing them a fortune..
Yup! As I said before all because an accountant somewhere tried to save a few cents on each car built instead of building vehicles to the quality that earnt BMW their reputation in the first place!

Mercedes Benz had their fingers burnt too when they tried to build E Class on the cheap and they all went rusty whilst still under guarantee!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #31
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

Ok just got my e90 back from dealership, they gave me some paperwork to prove work was done (wasn’t requested but planned to ask after work done) so handy at selling time to prove the work was done.

Notes: Carried out quality enhancements.
Replaced battery positive cable, carried out short wiring repair to heater blowers as required and replaced blower regulator as required

They also did a vehicle health check which came back perfect except “nsf suspension ball joint is split” (will get this sorted this week)

On top of that they valeted my car inside and out

It took 2 hrs for it all to be done, and happy with Sytner Cardiff

Hope this helps as to what to expect

P.s I just found an email (she did mention she would send), it’s a vehicle health check video of underneath my car

Last edited by R3tribut10n; 11-17-2018 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Adding text
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok just got my e90 back from dealership, they gave me some paperwork to prove work was done (wasn’t requested but planned to ask after work done) so handy at selling time to prove the work was done.

Notes: Carried out quality enhancements.
Replaced battery positive cable, carried out short wiring repair to heater blowers as required and replaced blower regulator as required

They also did a vehicle health check which came back perfect except “nsf suspension ball joint is split” (will get this sorted this week)

On top of that they valeted my car inside and out

It took 2 hrs for it all to be done, and happy with Sytner Cardiff

Hope this helps as to what to expect

P.s I just found an email (she did mention she would send), it’s a vehicle health check video of underneath my car
Hooray!

The remedial work finally happened.

True I got a video of the underside of the car and they washed it and vacuum cleaned the inside and then they handed me a Warrantee Invoice for the best part of £190 as if they had saved me that money!

If BMW had not ******-up the design in the first place I wouldn't have had a 70 mile drive and a morning off work sitting in their showroom watching the farce that is Brexit on their widescreen TV!

The good thing is, however, 2 hours 25 minutes from handing the keys over to getting them back again and not the entire day as originally quoted which was reluctantly dropped to 4 hours when they knew I was going to sit there and wait for the job to be done.

I assume that the fitters are well practised at replacing these cables by now
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #33
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've finally got round to getting the car booked in and was very surprised to be told it will take 3 months for the parts to come in!? Anyone else experienced this? That surely can't be right. Booked in for August if it really is
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #34
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

No wait for mine, done last year. I guess the parts can run out at any point though...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #35
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
I've finally got round to getting the car booked in and was very surprised to be told it will take 3 months for the parts to come in!? Anyone else experienced this? That surely can't be right. Booked in for August if it really is
Sounds like you missed your slot and they have used up all of the parts again now!

If you got your letter in December last year why wait until now to call the dealer?

The whole thing has been a shambles from the design to rectifying the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #36
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you missed your slot and they have used up all of the parts again now!

If you got your letter in December last year why wait until now to call the dealer?

The whole thing has been a shambles from the design to rectifying the problem.
Gah! I had some unexpected relocations with with work so it dropped off my list of things to do.
I just thought even if they had run out of parts, 3 months is an awfully long time to wait for more to arrive and to rectify a potentially dangerous recall issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
I just thought even if they had run out of parts, 3 months is an awfully long time to wait for more to arrive and to rectify a potentially dangerous recall issue.
I guess the leads are made in batches to fit in around other production items and they can fit the leads quicker than they can be made.

I believe the two "enhancements" we are getting is pretty much part of a global recall on all 3 series models from around 2004 to 2011 so you can imagine how many parts they have unexpectedly had to produce. Count them in millions not thousands!

Lesser manufacturers might have been bankrupted by such a task.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #38
Dazza1969
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE (E90)

Is this not just because of the recall of the vauxhall over the last couple of years?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #39
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1969 View Post
Is this not just because of the recall of the vauxhall over the last couple of years?
No it is because certain 3 series BMW's have been known to catch fire and others have completely cut out when travelling at speed causing fatal collisions as other drivers swerve around them!

Don't wish to alarm but this has happened because of the poor quality connections used in certain areas and BMW are now having to put things right.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #40
rikcougar
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 320D

Had mine into Sopers in Lincoln for recalls yesterday

Recall fixes take around 90 mins but the health check and washing it take up most of the time

Health check was all green though at 182,000 miles and no timing chain rattle!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #41
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikcougar View Post
Recall fixes take around 90 mins but the health check and washing it take up most of the time
Haha, yeah I need another recall so my car can get a clean!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #42
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No it is because certain 3 series BMW's have been known to catch fire and others have completely cut out when travelling at speed causing fatal collisions as other drivers swerve around them!

Don't wish to alarm but this has happened because of the poor quality connections used in certain areas and BMW are now having to put things right.
When I first got my car (used) there was a point where the key wouldn't even open the car, it was completely dead. Took it to the garage and they found the wires behind the glovebox had melted! Makes you wonder whether that could have been the start of something much worse like a fire!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #43
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikcougar View Post
Had mine into Sopers in Lincoln for recalls yesterday

Health check was all green though at 182,000 miles and no timing chain rattle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Haha, yeah I need another recall so my car can get a clean!
At least with the 3 month wait they have there is no excuse for them not having a courtesy car to give me.
They said they needed mine for the whole day though . Better be a really good wash for having it that long
Appreciate 0