E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Joying Android head unit with Logic 7 review

02-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Joying Android head unit with Logic 7 review

I installed the Joying Android 8.1 head unit back in November so I wanted to give a quick review on it (links at the bottom). It's super fast, has a lot of storage, and allows me to download practically any app from the Google Play store. I use Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora, and YouTube for music/videos and Waze for navigation. The MHD app is on there as well so I'm sure you can utilize that if any of you run that on your car. I use my phone as a mobile hotspot so I'm always connected to the internet and can stream music from my phone via bluetooth.

Because I have the Logic 7 system, I had to purchase a MOST fiber optic interface to convert the fiber optic feed to RCA outputs. I also had to bypass my satellite tuner because it was messing with the audio. I used this video as a guide:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfNKk4Rmcc
Due to the size of the screen, I lost the separate seat warmer control switches that were located below the climate control knobs. I've read with other head units you have to relocate them in order to keep that feature. However, this head unit allow you to access the heated seat functions directly through the screen so I don't need to relocate it. All I do is disconnect it from the climate control module.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience. I did buy the head unit for $226 (incl tax) and spent an additional $110 on necessary accessories in order for it to work properly. At a total of $336, I think it was money very well spent.

Head unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...7dc64c4d0ybJNP
MOST fiber optic converter: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html
MOST optical loop bypass: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by kazbek1; 02-17-2020 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MOST bypass loop diagnosis/explanation:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfNKk4Rmcc
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:51 PM   #3
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the thorough review! I’m going to pick up one of those bypass modules now since I’m going to be installing the same setup in my vehicle. That would have left me scratching my head for days on the audio issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
Thanks for the thorough review! I’m going to pick up one of those bypass modules now since I’m going to be installing the same setup in my vehicle. That would have left me scratching my head for days on the audio issue.
Yea I thought I was screwed when I wasn't getting any audio. I do think it's way overpriced ($100) for a box but the total amount I spent on everything was still within my budget.

I would also look into getting one of the bypass loops. I've had the unit intalled since November and always had problems with the audio going in and out. I finally found out it was one of the factory modules (TCU, AMP, SAT NAV) that was interfering. I paid the $10 on Amazon and the problem was solved in 5 minutes. Just something to consider.

Last edited by kazbek1; 02-18-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbek1 View Post
Yea I thought I was screwed when I wasn't getting any audio. I do think it's way overpriced ($100) for a box but the total amount I spent on everything was still within my budget.

I would also look into getting one of the bypass loops. I've had the unit intalled since November and always had problems with the audio going in and out. I finally found out it was one of the factory modules (TCU, AMP, SAT NAV) that was interfering. I paid the $10 on Amazon and the problem was solved in 5 minutes. Just something to consider.
oh yeah I meant one of the loops lol. I already ordered the logic7 converter. Did you setup your backup camera and did a 4 pin relay setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
oh yeah I meant one of the loops lol. I already ordered the logic7 converter. Did you setup your backup camera and did a 4 pin relay setup?
Nah I didn't set up the backup camera yet. I'll probably wait until it's a little warmer out. What's the 4 pin relay setup? I have a relay but it was part of the wiring harness. I don't know much about auto electronics
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
mckwong
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E90 LCI with N51

Is this the 2/32GB version? Does it support Apple CarPlay? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #8
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
Is this the 2/32GB version? Does it support Apple CarPlay? Thanks.
Yep, this is the 2/32 version. I believe it does support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I don't use them though.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, this is the 2/32 version. I believe it does support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I don't use them though.
On Joying website they have a 4/64 version, and it advertises Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but on the 2/32 version, it only says EasyConnect, which makes me think the 2/32 version does not support Apple CarPlay. If you plug your Android or iphone to the USB, does it bring up the CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckwong View Post
On Joying website they have a 4/64 version, and it advertises Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but on the 2/32 version, it only says EasyConnect, which makes me think the 2/32 version does not support Apple CarPlay. If you plug your Android or iphone to the USB, does it bring up the CarPlay?
I think the EasyConnect supports both Apple and Android. I'm not 100% sure though. I actually don't have my car right now (letting my mother in law borrow it for the next 2 weeks) so when I get it back, I'll let you know. I don't have Apple and never use Android Auto so I haven't tried those features out.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #11
mckwong
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think the EasyConnect supports both Apple and Android. I'm not 100% sure though. I actually don't have my car right now (letting my mother in law borrow it for the next 2 weeks) so when I get it back, I'll let you know. I don't have Apple and never use Android Auto so I haven't tried those features out.
Thanks for checking.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #12
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I fixed the unit change problem (3:23 in the video) by cutting the long, yellow 12v wire from the harness and wiring it straight to the positive battery terminal. Looks like every time I turned the car off, it reset my memory settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

You have had this unit a while...i have a question. I have bimmergeeks protool installed on the unit and it works great for monitoring. BUT i cant get to the logs because i cant figure out how to turn on hidden files in file manager. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice to use it to log.

Found that using the easy connect and native android auto allows me to use the headunit to start/stop logging while retaining the logs on the phone which is prob a better solution anyways easier to look at on a pc.

Last edited by maryjane; 12-28-2020 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: additional posting
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #14
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
You have had this unit a while...i have a question. I have bimmergeeks protool installed on the unit and it works great for monitoring. BUT i cant get to the logs because i cant figure out how to turn on hidden files in file manager. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice to use it to log.

Found that using the easy connect and native android auto allows me to use the headunit to start/stop logging while retaining the logs on the phone which is prob a better solution anyways easier to look at on a pc.
I kind of do the same with MHD. The updated MHD app doesn't support the older version of Android on the head unit has so I had to find an older version to install. I log and tune through the updated version on my phone but can still monitor gauges through the older app on the head unit which is good enough.

I don't know how to access hidden files in file manager unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #15
ShadCarp1
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post

I kind of do the same with MHD. The updated MHD app doesn't support the older version of Android on the head unit has so I had to find an older version to install. I log and tune through the updated version on my phone but can still monitor gauges through the older app on the head unit which is good enough.

I don't know how to access hidden files in file manager unfortunately.
i installed Joying unit but am having issues with rear speakers with very little sound coming from them. the front speakers work great but hardly any sound from rear. Any thoughts on a fix for that?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:31 PM   #16
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadCarp1 View Post
i installed Joying unit but am having issues with rear speakers with very little sound coming from them. the front speakers work great but hardly any sound from rear. Any thoughts on a fix for that?
Maybe go in the Equalizer setting and make sure the sound is centered and not only going to the front speakers.
Appreciate 0