E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynavin D7 Pro or Kenwood DMX906S ?

02-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Beberle
Rep
Drives: 2009 328it

Dynavin D7 Pro or Kenwood DMX906S ?

I've done DAYS of research before posting this question.

My Primary goal: upgrade my 2009 E92 Base audio system for functionality (add backup camera, bluetooth, Apple Carplay)

My Secondary goal: upgrade sound quality. I'm looking for clearsound stage at low to medium levels. Not worried about loud or max decibles.

My assumption is that the Kenwood DMX906s at $549 and a Pacaudio RP4.2-BM21 adapter at $129 ($680 plus some plastic parts) will give me audiophile-grade base package w/ everything I want plus wireless Carplay. It's got 22watts RMS to drive my stock speakers for the immediate future. Possible speaker upgrade later.

The Dynavin D7 Pro at $699 will sound better than my base stereo with some better EQ features. Unknown RMS wattage, but lists 50watts peak. Wired Carplay, and looks the most factory install. However, I think the screen doesn't look as nice as the Kenwood's.

With stock speakers, and to an amateur adiophile, would the Kenwood sound and wireless Carplay overcome the Dynavin's stock appearance advantage?

Thanks for any advice from those who have already come down this path!

Brian
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ill leave the debating of those relative merits to you guys since I'm obviously going to be perceived as a little biased But to the OP, we are here if you need us.

I will answer a couple questions though....22W RMS is the Dynavin N7 Pro speaker output wattage. The power output of either head unit will not make any real difference to SQ. If both have their EQs and other settings dialed in I doubt there is much audible difference.

Your decision will probably come down to your preference for OEM (or not) looks, ease of installation, and wireless/wired carplay.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      02-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Ill leave the debating of those relative merits to you guys since I'm obviously going to be perceived as a little biased But to the OP, we are here if you need us.

I will answer a couple questions though....22W RMS is the Dynavin N7 Pro speaker output wattage. The power output of either head unit will not make any real difference to SQ. If both have their EQs and other settings dialed in I doubt there is much audible difference.

Your decision will probably come down to your preference for OEM (or not) looks, ease of installation, and wireless/wired carplay.
I think the Kenwood was HD Radio. I don't think the Dynavin N7 Pro has HD radio
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
The Kenwood Excelon DNX696S is probably an apples to apples comparison to the Dynavin N7 Pro.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
If you're planning to use high end amps and speakers in the future, I'd get the kenwood (or other reputable audio brand) unit.

If you want decent clarity but not going to spend a lot on high end equipment, either will probably get you decent results.
      02-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Beberle
Rep

Dynavin D7 Pro is being shipped. Should be a nice audio improvement w/ a large technology leap for the car. I’ll post my thoughts after install.

Last edited by Beberle; 03-09-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 08:14 AM   #7
HaloJumper09
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i LCI

Have you gotten it installed yet? I’m leaning more toward the Eonon unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #8
Beberle
Rep

I’ve installed the Dynavin D7 Pro and am a very happy camper. This is in a 2009 E91 w/ 140k miles (I put 120k on it). To clarify, my car had the hi-fi audio w/o center speaker.
The Dynavin was exactly what I was looking for. The Apple Carplay and large screen have not only given me features similar to my wife’s F25 X3 w/ IDrive, but we both agree the Dynavin is easier to use because of the touchscreen. The steering wheel controls work great. The PDC radar screen even looks similar to an IDrive unit when in reverse. Bluetooth works well, but I’m usually plugged in now for CarPlay. I find myself using Waze every time I head into ATL for work for better ‘situational awareness’ (wrecks, potholes, speed traps)
Screen looks great and is very fingerprint resistant.
The audio is a major improvement to my hifi system. The sound stage was what I was looking for. It’s amazing what time alignment and equalizer settings have done to my stock system. The highs have come alive and vocals just pop more. Sounds better than my wife’s X3 w/ Logic7.
The not-so-good points: Installation instructions are what you find online on Youtube. The generic instructions in the box were very basic and not great Engrish. I almost fried my shiny new Head Unit plugging in the Dynavin harness in a spot on the radio where it shouldnÂ’t go. Rookie mistake? There is no documentation saying this plug on the harness is to be used Only for MOST applications. The install videos I watched say ‘plug everything into the HU’. The backup camera is average definition, but definitely better than what I had before ;-) I’d spend the extra $ for a better camera. Maybe J&T can offer an ‘upgrade option’? Running the camera and relay took me longer than the radio install, specifically running the cable through the wagon’s liftgate.
On a big positive: Jeff and J&T were very responsive and helpful. They get big thumbs up.

Overall... worth every penny. I drive my Bimmers to 250k miles before selling. My wagon has at least another 5 years and the Dynavin brought it into the 21st century

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DLpuju7DK6zCFAu7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWgoXUHsfbQ2R5XYA

Last edited by Beberle; 03-10-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beberle View Post
I’ve installed the Dynavin D7 Pro and am a very happy camper. This is in a 2009 E91 w/ 140k miles (I put 120k on it). To clarify, my car had the hi-fi audio w/o center speaker.
The Dynavin was exactly what I was looking for. The Apple Carplay and large screen have not only given me features similar to my wife’s F25 X3 w/ IDrive, but we both agree the Dynavin is easier to use because of the touchscreen. The steering wheel controls work great. The PDC radar screen even looks similar to an IDrive unit when in reverse. Bluetooth works well, but I’m usually plugged in now for CarPlay. I find myself using Waze every time I head into ATL for work for better ‘situational awareness’ (wrecks, potholes, speed traps)
Screen looks great and is very fingerprint resistant.
The audio is a major improvement to my hifi system. The sound stage was what I was looking for. It’s amazing what time alignment and equalizer settings have done to my stock system. The highs have come alive and vocals just pop more. Sounds better than my wife’s X3 w/ Logic7.
The not-so-good points: Installation instructions are what you find online on Youtube. The generic instructions in the box were very basic and not great Engrish. I almost fried my shiny new Head Unit plugging in the Dynavin harness in a spot on the radio where it shouldnÂ’t go. Rookie mistake? There is no documentation saying this plug on the harness is to be used Only for MOST applications. The install videos I watched say ‘plug everything into the HU’. The backup camera is average definition, but definitely better than what I had before ;-) I’d spend the extra $ for a better camera. Maybe J&T can offer an ‘upgrade option’? Running the camera and relay took me longer than the radio install, specifically running the cable through the wagon’s liftgate.
On a big positive: Jeff and J&T were very responsive and helpful. They get big thumbs up.

Overall... worth every penny. I drive my Bimmers to 250k miles before selling. My wagon has at least another 5 years and the Dynavin brought it into the 21st century

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DLpuju7DK6zCFAu7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWgoXUHsfbQ2R5XYA
I'm considering this for my 2010 E91 - can you give a one-year update? Still good? Thanks for any insight you can give.

-K9Leader
Appreciate 0