E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > New owner and data noob.

06-23-2015, 01:46 AM   #1
0exhaust
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i

New owner and data noob.

Hi guys, new user here

Gotten my 320i for 3 months now and am all happy about it, it lives up fully to my expectations.

But befor this car i drove a Suzuki alto for almost 6 years and at one time i went to service with it.
At the service station they updated the software for the car and after getting it back it drove much better Better mpg and better idle etc etc.

Now gents, come the big Q.

I see all sorts of software solutions, cables and dongles, i know a little about setting up data links and such but could someone tell me what i would need to update my software in the car that affects the ecu if that is what it takes
I see daten versions sp55? and the likes but how do i find the one that matches my car?
And will it have any effect if i update my software?

Finally i own an Bavarian technic ODB cable so i can check and reset fault codes, is this cable useable for anything else than doing this?
Can i for example update the ecu software with it?

Alot of questions i know but ill appreciate your help.

Best regards

0exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:38 AM   #2
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Hi,

there is a lot of topics where you can find a lot of information.

In big shortcut:

- you can't use Bavarian technic cable to update your modules
- you can't update CCC (if you have it) via OBD port - ICOM A+B is necessary to do it safely.
- Sp-daten - you have to get E89 for your car - look here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642883
- you should buy a k+dcan cable (preferable way) to update or code your ECUs but please be aware that if you will buy very low quality and cheapest cable then you can brick your module, they can just stop working without any symptoms.
- extra power source is highly recommended if you want to program ECUs (another car as a donor or good at least 30A battery tender).
- the software you need, beside sp-daten pack, is Standard Tools 2.12.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #3
0exhaust
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320i

Thanks for the reply cryptomit, that gives me a start, now i need to find the goodys
Appreciate 0