E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Which cable to buy?

10-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
.Limitless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Slow

Arrow Which cable to buy?

Hey guys, just picked up an e92 328xi less than a week ago and I'm looking to do some coding. Tried very hard for the past few days to read up on it, and I think I have a gist of the basics. Would appreciate some help though to start up on it, been reading mostly about destroying the lighting system using the BMWhat Carly app so I would like to stay away from it lol.

Figured out that my production date is Jan 2007, so that means I have the pre 03/2007 model with the NFRM(?) FRM so I don't need a dcan cable I believe. Does this mean that I need a cable with kcan capabilities? My friend brought his OBDII bluetooth one just to try it out and it didn't connect to my car. I also have a wifi OBDII that I use with the torque app on my 370z but that's not for coding or anything. I ALSO have an old OBDII to USB cable that I used to read codes for my old civic in the past lol.

Can someone point me in the right direction please, as to what cable I need? I would like to purchase one off eBay to just save money, but at the same time I don't want to brick any of my modules. Would the OBDII to USB one I have to read codes work with my car, or would I need to buy a new cable?

Thanks in advance guys, this is my second euro car (had an e46 before this) and I'm just learning about all the electronics. A lot more complicated than the typical JDM cars I owned in the past
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

You should get a K+DCAN cable.

09 E90 328i 3IM, Eurocharged, K&N, 80W LED Angel
Coding: Digi Speed, Express Up Fob, Wipe Wash Count, Weather Station, Headlight Sensitivity
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
.Limitless
Enlisted Member
Rep

So with a pre March 07 model I can't just use any obd2 to USB cable?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

If you can stretch to it ICOM A2 clones are around $230 USD from China. They work brilliantly.

If not get the K+DCAN cable from one stop electronics.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
If you can stretch to it ICOM A2 clones are around $230 USD from China. They work brilliantly.

+1 the one stop electronics one is the only one that works. I went through 3 cheap ones off ebay (returning them and getting new ones sent back) none of them work - as in they physically don't work - not that is was an issue with the software.

its 100 bucks but its worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
+1 the one stop electronics one is the only one that works. I went through 3 cheap ones off ebay (returning them and getting new ones sent back) none of them work - as in they physically don't work - not that is was an issue with the software.

its 100 bucks but its worth it.
It's not the only one that works. Mine was $40 including delivery from a website I can't post the link to on here and it works fine. $100 is a rip off imo
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
It's not the only one that works. Mine was $40 including delivery from a website I can't post the link to on here and it works fine. $100 is a rip off imo
Not really a ripoff, especially when you know it will work on any E series platform from early 2000's to 2013. I know the one you're talking about and it is a good one, but I've personally used my one-stop on 1, 3, 5, and 7 series and the cable was never, ever was an issue. Sixty dollars difference, shit, I can piss that away in 5 minutes in a bar.
      10-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

There was a fairly recent problem with clone FTDI chips found in Chinese cables being rendered useless by FTDI malware. FTDI no longer does this so most of the cables found on ebay should work now. If you buy one with a switch so you don't have to solder and desolder pins it will be more convenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
If you're going to do a fair amount of coding, IMO, it's best to get the 1 stop cable. I have 2 or 3 based on what I do. If you're only looking to get your car coded and nothing else, there are forum members who mail loaners for this purpose so you don't have to worry about which one to buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
lalaura
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Limitless View Post
Hey guys, just picked up an e92 328xi less than a week ago and I'm looking to do some coding. Tried very hard for the past few days to read up on it, and I think I have a gist of the basics. Would appreciate some help though to start up on it, been reading mostly about destroying the lighting system using the BMWhat Carly app so I would like to stay away from it lol.

Figured out that my production date is Jan 2007, so that means I have the pre 03/2007 model with the NFRM(?) FRM so I don't need a dcan cable I believe. Does this mean that I need a cable with kcan capabilities? My friend brought his OBDII bluetooth one just to try it out and it didn't connect to my car. I also have a wifi OBDII that I use with the torque app on my 370z but that's not for coding or anything. I ALSO have an old OBDII to USB cable that I used to read codes for my old civic in the past lol.

Can someone point me in the right direction please, as to what cable I need? I would like to purchase one off eBay to just save money, but at the same time I don't want to brick any of my modules. Would the OBDII to USB one I have to read codes work with my car, or would I need to buy a new cable?

Thanks in advance guys, this is my second euro car (had an e46 before this) and I'm just learning about all the electronics. A lot more complicated than the typical JDM cars I owned in the past
seems that i have heard my friend with the same problem
you need K+CAN cable
http://www.obdtool.co.uk/wholesale/b...can-cable.html
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #11
grussauto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi

My first cable was a $25 cable from China. I figured out how to change the Hardware ID of the cable to work with FTDI drivers. It would connect to my car, but would not connect to any modules. I bought the One Stop and it works perfect. I ordered the One Stop on a Thursday night and received it the following Thursday.
      11-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #12
.Limitless
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all of the help guys. I ended up buying one off eBay after some more searching on the coding forum, $20 and so far it's worked great After a few hours of tinkering and figuring out how to use NCSExpert and get the stupid drivers for my china cable lol, managed to code a bunch of things.

-Corner amber headlight delete with parking lights/low beams
-LED bulb checks off for side markers and reverse lights
-Fog lights on with welcome lights
-Comfort key eject
-Closing windows/sunroof with key fob
-Stop interrupting auto windows up when door is open

One thing I can't figure out though is how to turn off the headlight corner ambers with the welcome lights. Been reading up a bit about it and someone said WL_POL is the code for ambers, but someone else says this also turns off the angel eyes? Also can't figure out how to code off the puny amber LED in the corner of the headlights, the big halogen bulb is off and only turns on when I signal but the LED is constantly always on
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #13
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

Can you recommend any specific seller for the ICOM A2? Or would you say that any one of the ICOM knockoffs should work?
Appreciate 0