E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > The Drowned Man and other stories: an e91 project

03-01-2023, 05:25 AM   #89
Prolix-2
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo + Misc other Euro cars

Next set of wheel did arrive on Monday. We'll see if I have time to install this weekend. The wheels have an almost new set of Contis on them, so that's nice bonus to try on for size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-01-2023, 07:31 AM   #90
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 & E91

Interior looks in really good shape. Hey if you have an extra sunroof shade I’ll but the tan one off your e91 old interior
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #91
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

wheels look better on an e91 than e92. No shock there, estate > other body styles esthetically. Needs a good bath, but it's a working wagon, it gets maintained, but doesn't necessarily get cleaned a lot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Prolix-2; 03-05-2023 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 02:21 PM   #92
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

snow day today. Juggle cars around from the workshop where the blue Germans hang out (very similar shades of blue actually)

Moved the other mb in so they can hang out together

and moved the e91 into the basement garage for the warmth and replaced the upper windshield rubber trim piece.

Ziggy was helping and carefully inspecting to make sure all was safe. Something about the left brake vent duct was super interesting

Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 02:45 PM   #93
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Definitely a nice car and fantastic color but damn I would have tried hard to keep the tan. I know you said tan sports seats are rare and it's understandable going a different direction but damn, bright red/dark colors look so good with a tan interior.

I almost wish my car wasn't Space Gray and was like Sparkling Graphite to pull off the lighter interior. I know people hate tan but I had a 540i that was Lagunengrun + Tan and that's where the love affair began. Still happy with my current color combo even if a bit drab/understated but damn, a Le Mans + Tan or Saddle would be an amazing combo.

Also, nice cat!
      03-12-2023, 08:37 PM   #94
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Definitely a nice car and fantastic color but damn I would have tried hard to keep the tan. I know you said tan sports seats are rare and it's understandable going a different direction but damn, bright red/dark colors look so good with a tan interior.

I almost wish my car wasn't Space Gray and was like Sparkling Graphite to pull off the lighter interior. I know people hate tan but I had a 540i that was Lagunengrun + Tan and that's where the love affair began. Still happy with my current color combo even if a bit drab/understated but damn, a Le Mans + Tan or Saddle would be an amazing combo.

Also, nice cat!
I actually am fighting to keep tan as I do like it a lot. The R230 also has the same color combo, little darker exterior and a lighter shade for the interior.

The saddle brown would be next in line as ideal and would give the option of easier to find sport seats.

I'm also watching for something to upgrade the interior trim. I don't love the wood grain, but I don't like the bright silver either. It's a struggle to find what I want. Tan with the CF trim would be nice as that has a nice understated look to it.

The Prolix machine turns gears slowly but usually it spits something interesting out in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 10:29 PM   #95
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolix-2 View Post
The Prolix machine turns gears slowly but usually it spits something interesting out in the end.
Thats pretty much a given in this stage of this platform and in our current time. I have some mods/retrofits that have been sitting going on almost 5 years now. I fully intend to install and mod everything on my car, just eventually

Quote:
I'm also watching for something to upgrade the interior trim. I don't love the wood grain, but I don't like the bright silver either. It's a struggle to find what I want. Tan with the CF trim would be nice as that has a nice understated look to it
I used to really hate the Walnut woodgrain before but came to actually really like it and almost prefer it now. To me it feels more "luxury premium" and was probably a seed that was planted with the aforementioned e39.

The Walnut woodgrain is a very neutral tone that works well to cut the black interior without being too overstated (silver trim) or blending too well (piano/sportline black/CF trim). Black in general is a very easy interior to work with and really any of the trim options look pretty good; I just really like the Walnut woodgrain.

In your case with tan interior the black trim might be too overstated and the silver might blend too well. Silver would definitely match the rest of the minor silver trims scattered around the interior however (HVAC knobs, door handles, headlight knob) but Black would just flat out match everything else. In either cases I would probably prefer the Walnut woodtrim overall as it is the most neutral tone and blends well with both Black and Tan although Grey and Saddle are a different story.

On some cars tan really works; the e9x was especially blessed with a nice shade of tan with enough "yellow" and "brown" in it to be interesting enough. Some tans just don't look good (I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Mercedes Tan), but BMW Tan really pops

Either way it is your car and ultimately your call. Something interesting is bound to happen eventually however, as you said
      03-13-2023, 05:54 AM   #96
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Continuing the theme my wife's car is off white (birch) over a bit more yellow version of bmw's tan - Volvo calls it amber and it's a very nice warm color.

Appreciate 3
      03-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #97
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That's a nice tan and good color combo. Reminds me of coffee in the morning and I don't even drink coffee
      03-23-2023, 08:47 PM   #98
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, the Prolix gears turn slowly, but at times some gold shows up.

I was going to rob the roof racks, interior, and the all weather rear mat.

It's a bit rough, but currently I'm using an X5 mat that is not at all similar in size to catch spills, so this will fit better.

Might save the car too. Looks a little rough, but I bought a white sedan that has the front end. We'll see what that looks like on arrival.

FYI, DON'T MESSAGE ME ABOUT PARTS ON THE WHITE CAR. IT IS CURRENTLY NOT FOR SALE AS A WHOLE OR FOR PARTS. It might a bit later, but not for today or tomorrow. Prolix gears move slow.

Last edited by Prolix-2; 03-24-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 07:00 PM   #99
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

fixed my photo link
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #100
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Well, seemingly I cannot get my image links to work. Another attempt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #101
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 & E91

How do you find this wagons! Beautiful color combo you should fix it. Saddle brown is one of the best on the E9X platform
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:39 AM   #102
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Legend View Post
How do you find this wagons! Beautiful color combo you should fix it. Saddle brown is one of the best on the E9X platform
I have a knack.

Though, the tentative plan is to put the saddle brown into the blue wagon and put black in this one. Though, I'll drive this one first before doing that. I started this build with the idea in mind that I specifically wanted a RWD platform and this white car is AWD.

Haha, it's pan also looks like it's been leaking for years in keeping with one of the reasons I wanted a rwd. My blue car is not leaking anywhere.
Appreciate 2
xlr88r290.50
      03-30-2023, 05:08 AM   #103
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Donor car for the white e91 arrived yesterday in the form of this 2011 335i. Repo car, doesn't start with permanent codes for Valvetronic Servomotor (002DC5 & 002DCF). Not sure if I will try and bother getting it running or not. Would be very convenient if it would and the engine would is also quite valuable. Technically this one is more valuable than the e91 and for pure money numbers, it's the better car to save...

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
M3_Legend352.00
xlr88r290.50
      04-02-2023, 05:29 AM   #104
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

First time doing a repair needed was performed this weekend.

Seems the right rear wheel abs sensor decided to die. Very strange fit detail on the speed sensor. N54 and N55 1 and 3 series has it if rwd, convertibles of any engine, and the wagons. Sedans and awds of any other configuration and coupes are different unless they are an M3, M3 is the same through the entire range for seemingly all body styles. Odd, but I had a pre-LCI 335 on hand with the sensor needed.

Glad it was just a sensor, I had visions of the axle rusting out or a wire eaten through somewhere. I think I had more time making sure I had the wire routed correctly routed and clipped in than replacing the sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #105
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Today something especially cool arrived for the Prolix Machine to play with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-09-2023, 08:03 PM   #106
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, the new donor of bonus things has arrived. Which is fun, and the M3 seats are superior in comfort to the brown seats, but... my collecting has gotten a little out of hand. Is unfortunate, I bought the silver e91 to get a black interior so I could put in black sport seats (which I already had), then the white e91 showed up and brown > black, and then the M3 showed up. : sigh : The prolix machine spun gears a smidge to fast this spring. You never know what might show up and you have to collect as it's available.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00
      04-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #107
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Question: what all do I want to take from this M3 to update the e91?

I am admittedly less familar with with generation 3. I rather hated the e9x gen when it was released after growing up on the e36 and e46 generations, primarily a bias generated by thinking it was ugly. Now I'm here and trying to make up for lost time.

I have been in debate about the aluminum hood. Also growing up with Volvo they have had aluminum hoods for nearly 30 years. The e91's hood feels super heavy and sounds weird when it closes. But then I have an M3 hood...

I notice the aluminum front knuckles and the fancy LSD diff. I suppose I will learn more as I disassemble, but I wonder what all is readily swappable vs not. The front strut brace with revised cowling is high on the list.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:03 AM   #108
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You could get more ambitious and turn your E91 into an M3 Touring, imagine the fun of driving an S54 powered Touring. Keep up the great work, you're saving one E9x at a time.
      04-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #109
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

You’d need the entire front end swapped over so the hood could fit. Looks like you have most of the parts.

I’d swap these parts:

The steering wheel. The M3 wheel is wrapped in Nappa leather and looks nice with the M tri stitching.

M foot plate
Center console trim the m3 one is leather
E brake
Center armrest
Sun visors
Carbon trim
Front seats
Wheels
Cowl cover for the engine bay
Appreciate 1
Prolix-2108.50
      04-12-2023, 05:23 AM   #110
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
You’d need the entire front end swapped over so the hood could fit. Looks like you have most of the parts.

I’d swap these parts:

The steering wheel. The M3 wheel is wrapped in Nappa leather and looks nice with the M tri stitching.

M foot plate
Center console trim the m3 one is leather
E brake
Center armrest
Sun visors
Carbon trim
Front seats
Wheels
Cowl cover for the engine bay
Thanks for this. It's probably been 15 years since I've had an M3. I finished up with my e36 faze and hadn't gotten back into BMW until now. I'm a hands on learner, so I have to look/touch to figure out what I do/do not like and experiment.

The e-brake handle, or more than that?

What's different about the sun visors? I hadn't noticed those.

What about the LSD rear diff?

If I have to retrofit the entire front end to get the M3 aluminum hood, I'll probably leave that alone. Both my front fenders are broken and I really don't want to think about putting in rear fender flairs to match the front. Or is it just the front bumper, radiator support, and the coupe/cab headlights? Not sure how I feel about those lights. Looks a bit odd to me. Not sure I would call the M3 bumper better looking than the M sport bumper either, but that's my personal preference.
Appreciate 0