E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ecotune Stage 3 upgrade - Now with a 1M bumper

07-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #45
Haych335D
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335d

Any updates with this build?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #46
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych335D
Any updates with this build?
Unfortunately not. Been very quiet this last year, with my first child born last year.

Still very much in love with the car. Still amazes me and puts a smile on my face.

I do have solid AKG subframe bushes and front/rear m3 arms sat in my shed waiting to be fitted, hopefully will in the next few months! Once they are fitted i will be hitting the track.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 03:08 AM   #47
Grazy_87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Unfortunately not. Been very quiet this last year, with my first child born last year.

Still very much in love with the car. Still amazes me and puts a smile on my face.

I do have solid AKG subframe bushes and front/rear m3 arms sat in my shed waiting to be fitted, hopefully will in the next few months! Once they are fitted i will be hitting the track.

Once my cars finished we will have to meet up! Let me know when you are looking at a track day as Im always up for one! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #48
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazy_87
Quote:

Once my cars finished we will have to meet up! Let me know when you are looking at a track day as Im always up for one! lol
Definitely. Your car is the ultimate 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #49
Grazy_87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lol its certainly not a looker, it will be interesting to see whether there is much of a performance difference. Id also like to know if you suffer from the cooling issues I had on track too. As it could purely be down to my mapping.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #50
magicbmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d BPC II+Tune,EGR/SCR,

Garage List
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
Also like the wheels!! Curious also as to whether the swirl flap deletes work on US engines,.

Question though: do these flaps put swirl on the airflow into combustion chamber?

On american big diesels(trucks) putting a swirl into the fuel b4 injector has produced power/mileage & cleansing(of injectors) improvements, Wonder if possible on these engines?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #51
magicbmw
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d BPC II+Tune,EGR/SCR,

Garage List
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
2011 335D Sedan  [0.00]
Sorry for repost trying 2 make sure I follow this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #52
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol its certainly not a looker, it will be interesting to see whether there is much of a performance difference. Id also like to know if you suffer from the cooling issues I had on track too. As it could purely be down to my mapping.
Tbh mate only been at rockingham once. Didnt notice any cooling issues but it was wet and was taking it easy!

I think you'd be better on track than me easily, you look like you have more experience, lsd and other great mods but i'm definitely up for going Bedford, never been before!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #53
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbmw
Also like the wheels!! Curious also as to whether the swirl flap deletes work on US engines,.

Question though: do these flaps put swirl on the airflow into combustion chamber?

On american big diesels(trucks) putting a swirl into the fuel b4 injector has produced power/mileage & cleansing(of injectors) improvements, Wonder if possible on these engines?
Thanks mate.

With the swirl flap delete, it should be available for US cars but i'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #54
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Grazy, you probably wont approve but instead of getting the m3 arms and solid subframe bushes fitted, i am getting a 1M bumper instead
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:48 AM   #55
Grazy_87
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Grazy, you probably wont approve but instead of getting the m3 arms and solid subframe bushes fitted, i am getting a 1M bumper instead
In all honesty mate, as far as bumpers go I think the 1M with chin spoiler look the dog nuts! Be sure to post pics up once its done as I am interested in getting one eventually as long as they are an easy enough fit.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #56
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Thanks mate.

With the swirl flap delete, it should be available for US cars but i'm not sure.
Yes, the swirl flap delete (really called blanking plates) fit US cars. I bought mine from UK supplier X8R. They are on eBay. Some adds list as 32 mm and others say 33 mm. I got aluminum ones but they also available in plastic at cheaper price. I got the kit that came with new intake manifold seals. A few threads here on pulling and replacing intake manifold. One very recent as part of his CBU cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #57
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In all honesty mate, as far as bumpers go I think the 1M with chin spoiler look the dog nuts! Be sure to post pics up once its done as I am interested in getting one eventually as long as they are an easy enough fit.
Will do.

I bought an abs plastic 1m bumper a few years ago and the fit was an absolute nightmare. Bodyshop straight up told me that it would cost loads, so i just sold it on.

This one i just have is in FRP and fit should be very good according to his facebook page and posts by other people. I can't wait and will definitely post up pics. One thing i'm going to try is fitting air ducts where the fogs go (i already have fogs deleted), and then try and channel that air to the brake discs.

And yes a splitter would be awesome
Appreciate 1
Grazy_87122.00
      08-31-2016, 02:52 PM   #58
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Test fitted the new 1M bumper tonight, looks like it will be a good fit as i managed to fit it onto the car.

An issue i found was my front tyre has been rubbing a bit on the wheel arch, cause for concern?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #59
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

So finally got my car back from the bodyshop. The 1M bumper is finally on, after 2 years of thinking about it.

Fitting wise the issues the bodyshop had were not major, it was just the washer jets and tow eye cover holes not being the perfect size, so had to be ground out a bit. But i'm really happy with the fitment and finish need to get my license plate on too

Appreciate 3
      09-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #60
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Looking good, mob17. I have been lurking on the M3 replica bumper. One of the problems I've run into is no washer holes on LCI E90 ones. E92 is easy to get the washer holes for M3 replica.

Question: is the duct work functional and full size?

The M3 rep has little narrow ducts that people aren't thrilled with. People don't use the fog lights and adapt real M3 ducts but there is some cutting and fitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #61
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Looking good, mob17. I have been lurking on the M3 replica bumper. One of the problems I've run into is no washer holes on LCI E90 ones. E92 is easy to get the washer holes for M3 replica.

Question: is the duct work functional and full size?

The M3 rep has little narrow ducts that people aren't thrilled with. People don't use the fog lights and adapt real M3 ducts but there is some cutting and fitting.
Thanks bbcuda.

Yeah i didn't like fog lights so had them deleted for my m sport bumper. If you look at previous pics i used 335is ducts, and had to trim.

At the moment there is just the grill you see and nothing behind. My next step is to buy the genuine 1m air duct and hope it fits on the bumper. If it does then it will still need trimming from behind to clear everything, and then try and match that up somehow with the oem brake air ducts in the wheel arch. Should work but just a pain getting the bumper off, so i may try this with wheels and wheel arches off.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #62
DarrenO
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Good write up there!

Noticed your in Northants which isn't far from me! Between Ecotune and BWchiptune there is no one out there that will match the files written for these BMW's. I'm a dealer for Jason at BW and these guys are incredible as well as Stan and his guys up north!

Enjoy the wolf in sheeps clothing
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #63
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks bbcuda.

Yeah i didn't like fog lights so had them deleted for my m sport bumper. If you look at previous pics i used 335is ducts, and had to trim.

At the moment there is just the grill you see and nothing behind. My next step is to buy the genuine 1m air duct and hope it fits on the bumper. If it does then it will still need trimming from behind to clear everything, and then try and match that up somehow with the oem brake air ducts in the wheel arch. Should work but just a pain getting the bumper off, so i may try this with wheels and wheel arches off.
I went back and looked at your early pictures and see the 335is ducts on and no fog lights. Your car really looks kick #$% to me. I don't think the 1M bumper will work on an E90 though. Sure, E92 makes sense.

Did you say the it came with washer holes but they had to be enlarged or there were no head light washer holes at all? My experience has been no holes at all. The washers can be deleted by fuse removal but I would rather have them. The fog light delete has to be coded. Otherwise, if you just unplug light you will get a warning on the cluster. These little things are what got me into "paralysis by analysis" mode.

The other question I came across was the particular material used to make the bumper. One company says it is ABS and several others said polypropylene. I don't know what the OEM m-sport bumper I have is made from.

Again I say, good looking outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 04:29 AM   #64
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I went back and looked at your early pictures and see the 335is ducts on and no fog lights. Your car really looks kick #$% to me. I don't think the 1M bumper will work on an E90 though. Sure, E92 makes sense.

Did you say the it came with washer holes but they had to be enlarged or there were no head light washer holes at all? My experience has been no holes at all. The washers can be deleted by fuse removal but I would rather have them. The fog light delete has to be coded. Otherwise, if you just unplug light you will get a warning on the cluster. These little things are what got me into "paralysis by analysis" mode.

The other question I came across was the particular material used to make the bumper. One company says it is ABS and several others said polypropylene. I don't know what the OEM m-sport bumper I have is made from.

Again I say, good looking outcome.
Thanks buddy. The more i see my car now the more i'm falling in love with the look. I'm suprised how it looks from a side on view, looks very nice. I'm thinking a splitter will finish it off nicely.

Yes the bumper came with washer holes but the washer holes and tow eye hole had to be grinded out a bit for the covers to fit in. Nothing major though. And yes i had my fog lights codes off and wrapped the loom somewhere behind the bumper. I think fog lights are pointless especially with Xenons.

I think the OEM bumper is ABS plastic. I actually bought an ABS plastic 1M bumper a few years ago, but the fitment was shocking. I had a quote of over £1k to sort it! This one is in FRP and the fitnent was pretty good, with some minor work it now looks OEM to me. Which is really hard to get with fibreglass aftermarket bumpers.
Appreciate 0