E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > SES and a a lot of codes...

09-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
WSU_Coug
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

SES and a a lot of codes...

Hey all, I've had intermittent SES for awhile and finally got the Carly adapter / app so I could pull BMW specific codes.

I knew the upstream NoX sensor was going bad but not sure where to start with the others.

I have noticed the last couple of weeks that it sounds real "clatttery" under light acceleration around 1500rpm when warmed up. Even that though is intermittent, sometimes more noticeable than others.

I also had a crank but no start several weeks ago. After several attempts I let it sit 5 mins and tried again, it instantly started right up like there was no problem.

Anyway, any insight is greatly appreciated!

Oh - it's a 2009 335d with 65k miles. Never done CBU cleaning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Smoothness are most likely because of a CBU. At least they go hand on hand. Clean you metering valve to start. Replace Glow plug module.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
WSU_Coug
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Smoothness are most likely because of a CBU. At least they go hand on hand. Clean you metering valve to start. Replace Glow plug module.
Thanks Yozh, sounds like I may need to pull the EGR and try to use a borescope to check for CBU (unless there's a way to check with Carly)

Do you think the glow plug module could cause the crank but no start issue I had a month ago? Figured I probably have a lift pump or module problem since the car was warmed up and had been sitting for 10 mins after I ran into the store.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU_Coug View Post
Thanks Yozh, sounds like I may need to pull the EGR and try to use a borescope to check for CBU (unless there's a way to check with Carly)

Do you think the glow plug module could cause the crank but no start issue I had a month ago? Figured I probably have a lift pump or module problem since the car was warmed up and had been sitting for 10 mins after I ran into the store.
You will need to remove more than just the egr valve. You need to remove the whole manifold.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

You can’t feed a borescope through the manifold. The swirl flaps block the larger side passage. It’s just easier and no mystery if you pull the intake off. When I tried boroscope, the lense kept getting black crud all over it and I couldn’t see.
If nothing else, you can see that ports okay and go ahead and clean intake out with purple power solvent.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
WSU_Coug
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
You can’t feed a borescope through the manifold. The swirl flaps block the larger side passage. It’s just easier and no mystery if you pull the intake off. When I tried boroscope, the lense kept getting black crud all over it and I couldn’t see.
If nothing else, you can see that ports okay and go ahead and clean intake out with purple power solvent.
Ok may give removing the intake a shot over the weekend, appreciate the help guys.

Would you all think a faulty glow plug controller could have caused the crank but no start last month (outside temp was 80 degrees and car was only sitting for 10 mins after a short trip to the store)?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU_Coug View Post
Would you all think a faulty glow plug controller could have caused the crank but no start last month (outside temp was 80 degrees and car was only sitting for 10 mins after a short trip to the store)?
Nope. You likely wouldn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the glow system at those ambient temps (and a decently warm engine.)
Appreciate 0