E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Charge pipe and Diverter valve upgrade options

11-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Charge pipe and Diverter valve upgrade options

I'm looking for some advice on charge pipes and diverter valves

DV's because I don't want the BOV "whoosh", so could be convinced about a quiet BOV

anyway I like the look of the turbosmart DV kit, but if I buy that kit, will it fit an upgraded CP? It looks like it fits the stock DV connectors so are they available on some aftermarket CP's ?

should I be looking at other brands? ie forge or tial etc

Also any opinions on whether this is worth doing? and at what boost levels it becomes important? I'm currently running around 17psi if that helps, but looking to push that a little further, maybe into the low 20's

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:57 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Tial BOVs are super quite if it helps mate
Mine was so quite, I upgraded to a GFB BOV just to get a woosh sound

Only problem with BOV is finding the right spring to match your boost, can get expensive fast !!!!

If you are not after the BOV sound then DVs are for u
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Vin_888
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92 325i

Bit of a hijack but I'm sure op would want to know as well, what's the best way to adjust the aftermarket bov/dv? I have the turbosmart kompact dv's so I'm wondering how to adjust them accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
Austins
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

Garage List
Ive got the VRSF chargepipe, no problems with it at all and fits perfectly, comes with everything needed to attach the stock DVs.
Getting turbosmart DVs in a couple weeks which fit into the stock spot so i'll let you know how that goes
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

I've got an ER charge with turbo smart dual ports.

Either the ER pipe or dual ports come with silicone attachments a couple of inches long to attach to aftermarket pipes, problem is it was so long ago I put them on I can't remember which part came with silicone atachments.

Makes for easy install of the rear diverter as it comes really close the strut mount. The silicone atachment allows you to manipulate it around a little before clamping hard. 135i.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post

Either the ER pipe or dual ports come with silicone attachments a couple of inches long to attach to aftermarket pipes, problem is it was so long ago I put them on I can't remember which part came with silicone atachments.

Makes for easy install of the rear diverter as it comes really close the strut mount. The silicone atachment allows you to manipulate it around a little before clamping hard. 135i.
Thanks Super, do the dual ports vent external as well as recirculating? and if so when do they vent external?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #7
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austins View Post
Ive got the VRSF chargepipe, no problems with it at all and fits perfectly, comes with everything needed to attach the stock DVs.
Getting turbosmart DVs in a couple weeks which fit into the stock spot so i'll let you know how that goes
Thanks Austin, sounds good, I was kind of worried about the silicon couplers for the DVs, sounds like you're not having issues
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

I have been running the ER charge pipe with the Forge DVs for 5 yr. They have performed very well. Forge supplies a range of springs to suit various boost pressures and a refurbishment kit. I have just recently refurbished my DVs with new pistons and O rings.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
I have been running the ER charge pipe with the Forge DVs for 5 yr. They have performed very well. Forge supplies a range of springs to suit various boost pressures and a refurbishment kit. I have just recently refurbished my DVs with new pistons and O rings.
Thanks Coupes
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I'm running stock pre 2009 charge pipe with turbosmart kompact diverters. Fits perfectly compared to most of the aftermarket pipes that dont fit good and rubs on stuff. Contrary to most people's beleifs the stock charge pipe is fine until 2009 when they moved to a one piece charge pipe that is prone to failure. Turbosmart dvs click in nicely to the stock couplers.

I have also fitted a 45 degree 2.5" turbomart hose as the old rubber piping was prone to collapsing itself and pinching itself (causing pinhole leaks)

Great thing about the OEM part is that it fits properly and has a bracket to releive stress on the throttle body join. This greatly reduces the wear on the oring, I have found aftermarket pipes without the bracket tend to wear out the oring and leak after a 12-24months.

11-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
I'm running stock pre 2009 charge pipe with turbosmart kompact diverters. Fits perfectly compared to most of the aftermarket pipes that dont fit good and rubs on stuff. Contrary to most people's beleifs the stock charge pipe is fine until 2009 when they moved to a one piece charge pipe that is prone to failure. Turbosmart dvs click in nicely to the stock couplers.

I have also fitted a 45 degree 2.5" turbomart hose as the old rubber piping was prone to collapsing itself and pinching itself (causing pinhole leaks)

Great thing about the OEM part is that it fits properly and has a bracket to releive stress on the throttle body join. This greatly reduces the wear on the oring, I have found aftermarket pipes without the bracket tend to wear out the oring and leak after a 12-24months.

Thanks Vince, my car is 2008, so I could do something similar, I'll have to think on it
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Interested to know what springs everyone is using for the Turbosmart Kompact BOV's
I'm running VTA with the cap screwed down as far as it can go and it seems to VTA quite easily still under little to no boost.

FYI running the CPe charge pipe
      11-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post
Interested to know what springs everyone is using for the Turbosmart Kompact BOV's
I'm running VTA with the cap screwed down as far as it can go and it seems to VTA quite easily still under little to no boost.

FYI running the CPe charge pipe
The turbosmart kompact adjustment doesnt change the amount of venting, it is used to adjust them so theyre closed when youre idling.

The Kompact diverters always vent 50%, unless you screw in the included block off plugs. The only diverter I know of that you can adjust the venting properly is the GFB TMS
      11-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:

Sounds like the best way to go depending on what further performance modifications you have planned. I use a Hobb switch for the Stage 3 LPFP and I used one for the TBI. The extra ports in the ER CP come in handy for locating the Hobb switch. The stock CP doesn't have this capability.

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  103.8 KB
Appreciate 1
Hoper184.00
      11-08-2018, 01:18 AM   #15
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

I was contemplating grabbing a cp and bov but decided not to because stock cp's and dv's from pre-2009 models seem to be perfectly fine for pretty much all applications with the stock twins when in good nick, and I just can't bring myself to run an bov anyway.

If I had an upgraded single turbo setup I'd sway toward running no bov or dv's and think an upgraded cp would be warranted.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it imo
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
Hoper184.00
      11-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #16
Superdaws
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post

Thanks Super, do the dual ports vent external as well as recirculating? and if so when do they vent external?
Hey Hoper,

The dual ports are very similar to the turbosmart recirc diverter only valves, but the dual ports have a blanking plug that screws into one side if you only want recirc.

If you want vent to air you can remove the blanking plugs and fit a screw in trumpet. As Vince said they don't fully Vent to air as the recirc side doesn't get plugged in this mode.

Only bought the dual port cause it was the same price at the time I got them. Have rarely used the VTA except when I wanted a noisy drive day, but the options there. The blanking plugs work really well, they screw into the trumpet thread and have a sealing oring.

2020 MY21 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | Black Sapphire
OLD 2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue
2016 BMW F15 X5 30D | Sapphire Black | Black Leather
Appreciate 1
Hoper184.00
      11-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Quote:
The turbosmart kompact adjustment doesnt change the amount of venting, it is used to adjust them so theyre closed when youre idling.

The Kompact diverters always vent 50%, unless you screw in the included block off plugs. The only diverter I know of that you can adjust the venting properly is the GFB TMS
I have the dual port so have the option to run full VTA or recirc.
I was understand that the spring keeps the valve closed under idle of course but a "heavier" spring wouldn't allow the valve to open so easily under boost.