E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Sold the 330D

12-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
DTM_
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011.5 BMW X1  [0.00]
Sold the 330D

I need a replacement for my E92 330D which I sold last month. It was an MY2012 model with only 29,000 Ks on it and the best car I have ever owned - and sold within 24 hours! Unfortunately family requirements necessitate a larger vehicle now and am thinking of a second hand F series wagon 328i at this stage. Going to miss the effortless torque of that mighty 3 Ltr turbo diesel engine though.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
How many kids do you have? I fit both of mine in the back of the e92 without any issues (too late now though I guess seeing as the 330D is gone )
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
We have an F31 and three children and it is adequate for our needs. It is not much larger than an E9x but is a little bit, bit more leg room in the back, maybe width and of course the tail gate area is really handy.

We have had three child seats across the back in the past (down to 1 now) and as long as you choose them wisely they will fit.

We also have a roof pod for holidays but really only have used it when we head to the airport with large suit cases. Otherwise we can usually fit everything in the back.

I think you'll find the 2l turbo with the 8 speed automatic has similar pace to your 330D, if not a little bit quicker. The way they have set up the torque curve (max @ 1250RPM) it is a bit like a diesel and the 8 speed ZF is a great improvement and changes are very fast. I don't really miss our 335i E91. The F31 is a much better daily and of course you have the reliability of the newer car which is important for us.

I would go the 330i if you can stretch the budget as it has a few revisions but otherwise I believe the 328i is a fine car and should be great buying at the moment. It will also drive very similar to your E90. Of course try to get an m sport.

If you want something bigger again you really need to be looking at a 5 series or X5. Otherwise the F31 is actually still quite a large car.

Personally I'd resist being pulled to an SUV.

You should also head over to the local F3x section as there are heaps of 328 owners. I know there is a potential steering rack issue that you should look out for.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=415

Last edited by donR; 12-09-2018 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #4
DTM_
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011.5 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
We have an F31 and three children and it is adequate for our needs. It is not much larger than an E9x but is a little bit, bit more leg room in the back, maybe width and of course the tail gate area is really handy.

We have had three child seats across the back in the past (down to 1 now) and as long as you choose them wisely they will fit.

We also have a roof pod for holidays but really only have used it when we head to the airport with large suit cases. Otherwise we can usually fit everything in the back.

I think you'll find the 2l turbo with the 8 speed automatic has similar pace to your 330D, if not a little bit quicker. The way they have set up the torque curve (max @ 1250RPM) it is a bit like a diesel and the 8 speed ZF is a great improvement and changes are very fast. I don't really miss our 335i E91. The F31 is a much better daily and of course you have the reliability of the newer car which is important for us.

I would go the 330i if you can stretch the budget as it has a few revisions but otherwise I believe the 328i is a fine car and should be great buying at the moment. It will also drive very similar to your E90. Of course try to get an m sport.

If you want something bigger again you really need to be looking at a 5 series or X5. Otherwise the F31 is actually still quite a large car.

Personally I'd resist being pulled to an SUV.

You should also head over to the local F3x section as there are heaps of 328 owners. I know there is a potential steering rack issue that you should look out for.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=415
Thanks for your reply and all the info here - the reality is we need two four door cars - I tried to fit our child seats into the E92 but they would not fit under the sloping rear window. We already have an X1 but I do not want another SUV.

My local dealer recently lent us a 125i and a brand new 330i sedan for a day's driving to see what we liked - the space and power was OK but we did not have the opportunity to test under fully loaded luggage etc.

We will keep looking ....
Appreciate 0