E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Next BEST THING For Your E9x BMW! Exciting Times!

03-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #45
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

This looks like a nice mod. Following.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #46
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Hmm just bought a cheap suction mount 1080 hd camera(actually 2 for $75) But I like the OEM/hidden look of this. Definitely want to hear some feedback from the people who have one so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #47
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

I couldn't order one from the link in the first post. American amazon won't ship to canada. Anyone got a link to where i can get one in canada?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:51 PM   #48
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
We need an English install guide / video, and for someone to try a bigger SD card for storage, 16GB at 1080p will bot be enough in my opinion, 32GB even is too small.

Also is the iPhone and Android app available in english?
As for the English guide we are here working on it thru the night.

So far we figured out that the module that connects with the plug and play harness is optional (and adds something like a key fob/comfort access to cars that don't have premium package). It is not necessary for the dash cam to work. I may not even install it since my car has premium and is coded for all the convenience features.

As for the 32GB memory card limitations (as stated by the seller) it should be the least of the worries when it comes to any dash cam. All dash cams loop after the space runs out. So even if you have a 200GB or 8GB it will not record forever before it needs to loop and write over data. So you save the data you need and write over the data where nothing happens. Furthermore 99.99999% of your driving should be where nothing is happening unless you live in Russia! LOL. If you are recording accidents and events every time you drive or within the 32 GB limits then you really need to move elsewhere.

With that said and joking aside on a serious note the size of the memory card is NOT IMPORTANT once the dash cam loops record.

LOOP RECORDING is INFINITE where as non loop recording on the biggest memory card is not infinite.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #49
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
As for the English guide we are here working on it thru the night.

So far we figured out that the module that connects with the plug and play harness is optional (and adds something like a key fob/comfort access to cars that don't have premium package). It is not necessary for the dash cam to work. I may not even install it since my car has premium and is coded for all the convenience features.

As for the 32GB memory card limitations (as stated by the seller) it should be the least of the worries when it comes to any dash cam. All dash cams loop after the space runs out. So even if you have a 200GB or 8GB it will not record forever before it needs to loop and write over data. So you save the data you need and write over the data where nothing happens. Furthermore 99.99999% of your driving should be where nothing is happening unless you live in Russia! LOL. If you are recording accidents and events every time you drive or within the 32 GB limits then you really need to move elsewhere.

With that said and joking aside on a serious note the size of the memory card is NOT IMPORTANT once the dash cam loops record.

LOOP RECORDING is INFINITE where as non loop recording on the biggest memory card is not infinite.
I'd say that it is important to have at least 1-2 days worth of recording capability before looping.

Wouldn't you agree?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #50
cybermgm23
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, Jet Black

Quote:
Dash camera's are for recording accidents and as a result prevents insurance fraud.

They are acceptable in court or by insurance companies as evidence to support you in the event that the accident appears to someone who didn't see it as a 50/50 fault split.
Also dash cams help you if there is a case of your word against the idiot who ran the light word!

This first accident here tho...

Dash Cameras are not supposed to be vehicle theft deterrent devices.

I'm not sure why people think that. Security Cameras outside the car are better theft deterrent devices and great for capturing hit and runs while parked on the street.
OK so now you have my attention. Quick question, does this ting record non stop all the time or only while you're driving? I think I'm interested in installing this on my 2011 328i.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #51
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92, F10, F15

Quote:
Max just for you I made another video showing the cleanliness of this kit.

We also worked on translating some of the Chinese today.

Car DVR Dash cam for BMW 1080P Wi-Fi 170 Wide Angle support G-sensor Motion Detection Loop Recording with 16GB TF card
• Hidden installation: Identical to original mirror housing and powered from doom light.
• Full-HD video recording 1920 x 1080P at 30 fps using a 170° wide angle lens
• Includes Intelligent Module that offers more functions such as: auto window rolling, Intelligent Vehicle Seek, and warning to prevent emergency brake pumping
• Tamper Proof Aluminum alloy Inner shell for better lens stability and better heat radiation
• Exclusive for all BMW 3 Series E90/E91 chassis (made in 2006-2013), BMW 1 Series E87 chassis (2006-2012), and BMW X1 Series E84 chassis (2008-2013) without Night Vision/High Beam Assist package

Function:

1. Connects to mobile phones thru Wi-Fi. Support APP iOS or Android
2. Records both video and sound while Driving. Car DVR sound defaulted to mute. To turn on sound recording you have to use the mobile APP.
3. 170 Degrees Wide Angle Video Recording.
4. Gravity Sensor(G-sensor) activates when car’s G-Sensor is triggered. The recorded video during that time will be locked to be protected.
6. HD Night Vision 1080P,12 million pixels
7. Motion Detection when engine is off and car is parked with DVR turned on but not recording and there is motion in front of the screen it will start recording. If nothing happens over 15 second period the DVR stops recording until motion occurs again.
8. Manual Mode Emergency recording. Press the manual emergency recording button, the Car DVR will start emergency recording, and the video file will be protected.
9. WDR Set. WDR wide dynamic mining can fill in light to make the finished video visible in very dark environments

Extra Function from intelligent module:

1. Window Rolling Up by Key Buttons
2. Car Air Circulation
3. Intelligent Vehicle Seek
4. Warning to prevent emergency brake pumping

Package list:
1.Car Digital Video Recorder/Camera in BMW E9x Mirror Housing
2.Intelligent Module
3.BMW E9x Plug & Play Harness & Bonus Wiring Harness.
4. Chinese Manual Instruction Booklet
Awesome.
Functions #4 and #7 are the functions I am looking for, which I honestly thought was not available with this camera initially.
Now, I am really looking forward to this install. I want to see how it connects and if it leaves any room for connecting powermagic pro to take care of battery drain issues.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A38ENTINPXP68V

My retrofit list keeps growing.
I have all the parts for alarm, led retrofits, reverse camera and combox waiting to be installed. Now add this little puppy to the list. Come on delmarco, install it already so I can buy it add it to the to be installed box of parts in my closet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #52
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

video quality on this kit is okay. my blackvue cameras do much better job at quality. & on license plates are more clear.

not to mention the options for 24/7 recording even while the car is off..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #53
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I'd say that it is important to have at least 1-2 days worth of recording capability before looping.

Wouldn't you agree?
This +1
      03-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #54
SUBZER0
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Quote:
The $79 Alibaba kits are not the same brand as the Amazon CYHY kit I got! The Alibaba kits do not ship with the plug and play harness.

I could've went the Alibaba route but I didn't trust it and above all else I wanted a kit that was plug and play
thanks for all the hard work, this is also on my shopping list but quick question do you know if this will fit an e92? i see the one on amazon it says e90/e91 im sure it would fit but just trying to make sure before i get it, thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #55
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post

Wouldn't you agree?
Honestly I have never had a dash cam before but 99.999999% of my daily driving is pretty boring and incidental. Meaning most of what ever is recorded I will NEVER want to watch. If you need save and keep days worth of driving videos then a bigger card will be better but 32GB will give most of us what we need.

Dash Cams only become important when the catch that 0.000001% moment when an accident happens. And most kits stop looping data and locks the accident file on the card. You can also lock and store video chunks you do not want over written.

I paid $12 for my 32GB card at Best Buy and if I find I need more space then I will either try out a bigger card (I still don't understand why the seller said it couldn't take a bigger size card?) or buy a couple of 32GB cards and swap them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermgm23 View Post
OK so now you have my attention. Quick question, does this ting record non stop all the time or only while you're driving? I think I'm interested in installing this on my 2011 328i.
It records all the time by default once car is on, engine has started and car is in motion. You have the option to turn that off and only have it record when you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
video quality on this kit is okay. my blackvue cameras do much better job at quality. & on license plates are more clear.

not to mention the options for 24/7 recording even while the car is off..
I keep following you on my DIY quests! LOL! First the DCT retrofit now you beat me to this! Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBZER0 View Post
thanks for all the hard work, this is also on my shopping list but quick question do you know if this will fit an e92? i see the one on amazon it says e90/e91 im sure it would fit but just trying to make sure before i get it, thanks a lot!
The only thing is the mirror housing must match up. So Check to see if the Parts Number for mirror rain sensor housings are the same between E92 (coupes) and E90/E91 (sedans/wagons).

Also the dome lighting panel parts number should match as well since this is getting the plug and play power from the dome lighting panel.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 03-02-2017 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #56
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjn View Post
Awesome.
Come on delmarco, install it already so I can buy it add it to the to be installed box of parts in my closet.
half way there! I couldn't figure out how to get the dome light console out. As a result I will have to finish the wiring over the weekend

It definitely looks and feels like OEM once it is installed. The plastic housing is great quality and literally looks like a genuine BMW part!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #57
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I wonder if it would be a good idea to drill a small cluster of small pin holes in the housing facing the interior, in order to facilitate with heat loss during hot summer months.

Hot summer days will be the ultimate test for this camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #58
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
half way there! I couldn't figure out how to get the dome light console out. As a result I will have to finish the wiring over the weekend

Looks promising.
As I read on the interior led retrofit diy, the screws holding the sun visors need to come out, and you gently pry down the headliner from the front of the car, feeling for two clips that holds the dome light to the headliner. Once you find those clips, push towards the rear of the car and down. The dome light should come out.
I am trying to see if the power magic pro box can fit inside the dome light console and can be wired to the harness. That would eliminate the need to run any wires to the fuse box. Are the wires to the dome light always hot? If they are then installing the power magic pro box would be the matter of just fitting it within the dome light console.

Good luck. Looking forward to your install.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #59
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Any videos of the camera in action?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #60
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Any videos of the camera in action?

My apologies for the delay...

I literally cannot get the dome light panel off the headliner!

1- I've tried the method where you pluck out the map light rings and use a paper clip to pry the silver colored-chrome holding clips loose.
My map light rings do not come out and seem to be one piece with the unit (the frosted light cover comes off but not the map light rings)

2- I've tried the headliner drop and going in through the top but my dome light clips seem to be attached to something hard that is above the soft headliner.

I'm beginning to think I have a special edition E90 because nothing in my car is like the other E90 cars in the DIY threads and videos showing dome light panel and headliner removal.

I was hoping to getting it done this weekend but NYC is getting almost a foot of snow with temps nosediving to single digit temperatures over the next 5 to 10 days.
As a result I just put my car back inside my parent's garage for storage away from the road salt, black ice, snow and oil pump-busting cold.

So I will try my best to get this dash cam fully installed with video samples as soon as possible.

This module has become the bane of my existence! I have no clue why BMW makes a simple lighting impossible to remove.

This picture below shows the input connector (closest to the hand holding the panel) at the end on the dome light panel
that would power the dash cam.

Here is a sample video of the same camera in another car:

Last edited by delmarco; 03-10-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #61
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
My apologies for the delay...

I literally cannot get the dome light panel off the headliner!

1- I've tried the method where you pluck out the map light rings and use a paper clip to pry the silver colored-chrome holding clips loose.
My map light rings do not come out and seem to be one piece with the unit (the frosted light cover comes off but not the map light rings)

2- I've tried the headliner drop and going in through the top but my dome light clips seem to be attached to something hard that is above the soft headliner.

I'm beginning to think I have a special edition E90 because nothing in my car is like the other E90 cars in the DIY threads and videos showing dome light panel and headliner removal.

I was hoping to getting it done this weekend but NYC is getting almost a foot of snow with temps nosediving to single digit temperatures over the next 5 to 10 days.
As a result I just put my car back inside my parent's garage for storage away from the road salt, black ice, snow and oil pump-busting cold.

So I will try my best to get this dash cam fully installed with video samples as soon as possible.

This module has become the bane of my existence! I have no clue why BMW makes a simple lighting impossible to remove.

This picture below shows the input connector (closest to the hand holding the panel) at the end on the dome light panel
that would power the dash cam.

Here is a sample video of the same camera in another car:
To get a better handle for this panel. It's easier to remove both sun visors which will give some room above the headliner then reach in and push on the two spring clips to release the panel. Use a T25 Torx bit or driver for the visor.
      03-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #62
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
To get a better handle for this panel. It's easier to remove both sun visors which will give some room above the headliner then reach in and push on the two spring clips to release the panel. Use a T25 Torx bit or driver for the visor.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That is what I am not doing...

I've been following this video where this guy makes it seem really easy without removing the sun visors!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #63
trjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That is what I am not doing...

I've been following this video where this guy makes it seem really easy without removing the sun visors!

Told you to remove the sun visor clips my friend.
Anxiously waiting for the complete review and your thoughts on if it will be fitting to put the power box within the dome light. I have had the dashcam in my amazon cart since this thread popped up.
Have been crazy busy at work and hadnt had a chance to take my car to dealership to update the cic firmware. Dont want to install anything before the firmware updates are done because I read that firmware update wont install without the original equipment in the car. I was able to install the back camera physically but havent connected to the CIC for the same reason. I want to complete all my backlogged retrofits at once.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #64
VWaddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328Xi Touring

New to BMW here, after a lifetime of German cars... (well... my very first one was French, but we'll gloss over that!) -For anyone doubting the value of a dash cam... here's my story:

My last car was an Audi A3 Sportwagon. Bought new in 2008. Last November I got T-boned, driving down Interstate 4, by a woman who changed lanes behind me, and didn't realize I was there, then locked up all 4 wheels and slid onto the grass before re-entering the highway and hitting me square in the passenger side..

Paramedics arrived first, and while they were checking me out, the cops arrived, and began talking to the woman. After the medics were finished with me and got their signature from me declining a free trip to hospital, the cops came over to me and began their questions.

After the "what happened?" question, one cop asked me "Why did you change lanes?"

I had no idea what he was talking about, but I thought for a second, then remembered that -when I realized she was coming toward me from the side- I'd looked over my left shoulder to see two cars in the lanes to my left... When they passed me (slowly, moving only a little faster than I was) I'd planned to move left to get away from the woman in the locked-up car.

I told them that I was trying to avoid being hit when I realized how out of control she was, but they looked puzzled... "No, when you changed lanes right in front of her, causing her to slam on the brakes and lose control" they said.

I was floored. I'd been doing the speed limit, with cruise control on, in the right hand lane, for about seven minutes, since first joining the interstate. She'd obviously told them a huge lie making it MY fault instead of hers...

Then I came to my senses... "But I never changed lanes. Not once" I said.

Then I played my ace.

"In fact, I've got a dash camera here, which was running the entire time. -I can show you exactly how I was driving since I began my journey".

The cops bent down, peered in and saw the camera, then one of them said "just hold that thought... I'll be right back".

He went back to the woman's car, spoke to her for about ten minutes, then came back.
"No need to view the video sir, she's admitted that she lied to us, and that you never changed lanes, nor caused the accident."

Footage of the accident here:

Ignore the date: the date & time backup battery had died and it reset to January 1st at midnight every time I started the car...

The impact is about 10:00 -Dead on ten minutes... you can JUST hear when she locked up the brakes at 9:54. A full SIX SECONDS of locked-up tires before the impact. The tire squeal goes quieter for a couple of seconds as she went off the hard shoulder onto the grass.

So, even if the camera isn't pointing the right way to see an idiot coming behind you FAR too fast... even if it doesn't capture the impact in the right hand side... even if the date and time aren't correct... it can STILL save your ass in a "your word against theirs" moment, when someone decides to lie.

Now, that little camera cost me $35 on eBay. -It paid for itself a HUNDRED times over that morning.

Now I have cameras pointed towards the front AND rear of my E91. I may very well get this stealth camera and move the current front camera towards the rear as a "third-angle" camera... it won't hurt.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #65
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
A dash cam is a great investment.

1) I caught a valet guy entering my car without moving it twice. I showed the film to the company and he got fired.
2) Some a-hole in the costco parking lot cut me off, then nearly hit a truck backing out of a space. Then threatened to reverse into me to take the space behind me. If he hit me, it would have been a he said/she said ordeal.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #66
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I live and drive in arguably one of the worst suburbs in US and Canada - in fact, I bet my locale has the highest auto insurance in both nations due to horrible drivers and rampant insurance fraud. I finally caved today and got myself a Blackvue 2CH set up.

If this seller shipped to Canada and this was 2 channel expandable, I'd probably have bought it instead.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0