E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Service Brakes Warning

06-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #1
mitwehrli
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Service Brakes Warning

I recently bought a 2011 335 m-sport and I've put about 3-4k miles on it now. The other day I got the warning on my screen saying the rear pads are worn to minimum thickness, replace as soon as possible. I have all the paperwork from the previous owner and the found the receipt showing new brakes front and rear and new sensors (done at 66k, I'm now at 72k) and I can visibly see the brakes look brand new. So I went to my buddies who has the Rheingold software and we tried resetting it multiple times but it would just pop back on. I even tried resetting it through the display screen on the dash. While driving today, its saying my fronts now need to be replaced along with my rears. Is it just a weird coincidence that both my sensors are faulty? What do you guys think

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitwehrli View Post
I recently bought a 2011 335 m-sport and I've put about 3-4k miles on it now. The other day I got the warning on my screen saying the rear pads are worn to minimum thickness, replace as soon as possible. I have all the paperwork from the previous owner and the found the receipt showing new brakes front and rear and new sensors (done at 66k, I'm now at 72k) and I can visibly see the brakes look brand new. So I went to my buddies who has the Rheingold software and we tried resetting it multiple times but it would just pop back on. I even tried resetting it through the display screen on the dash. While driving today, its saying my fronts now need to be replaced along with my rears. Is it just a weird coincidence that both my sensors are faulty? What do you guys think

thanks for the help
likely never replaced rear wear pad sensor. I shorted mine and then rest light as I keep an eye on pads, but replacing the sensor is proper way to fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitwehrli View Post

thanks for the help
This most likely means that the brake sensors were not replaced. They are cheap on ECS and easy to replace. Once done, you need to reset with Rheingold.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Could be the wire broke or the sensor was broken when installed. Breaking the sensor or the wire during install is not unusual. If you didnt get a service reminder or anything before the notice that the pads were at minimum thickness I would suspect the sensor is bad. On mine, the rear wire broke off somehow a few weeks after install, all the range info had been reset already, and it caused the rear minimum thickness warning to go off followed shortly by the front one even though my front pads and sensor are fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
mitwehrli
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Yeah I was getting mileage warnings a few weeks prior to the service brakes warning. It would say I had xxxx miles until service and then gradually go down until finally the service warning came on and then the front brake service came on about a week later. I'll buy new sensors and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
peteyypab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Just a few others

Be sure to check the inboard pad as that is the one that the wear sensor is "sensing"... I have seen the inboard pad wear down while the outboard looks brand new.