E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Updated: Fire hazard: BMW recalls 1.4M vehicles due to risk of under-hood fires

01-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #67
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

This may be useful to some.

One of my friends has an N54 335i. He called BMWNA and told them that he's worried that the car would catch fire in the garage and set the house on fire. They were totally understanding and told him that there isn't a remedy for the problem yet (not really one in sight either).

However, they also told him to drop his vehicle off at the nearest dealer, they would contact the dealer and set everything up. The dealer would either put him in a loaner or a rental. So he did. He's in a rental now and up until they fix the issue. He's assuming that cars that are replaced with rentals will get fixed first since it's costing BMW extra money. Makes sense to me.

Just wanted to give the guys with the affected vehicles a heads up.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #68
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
This may be useful to some.

One of my friends has an N54 335i. He called BMWNA and told them that he's worried that the car would catch fire in the garage and set the house on fire. They were totally understanding and told him that there isn't a remedy for the problem yet (not really one in sight either).

However, they also told him to drop his vehicle off at the nearest dealer, they would contact the dealer and set everything up. The dealer would either put him in a loaner or a rental. So he did. He's in a rental now and up until they fix the issue. He's assuming that cars that are replaced with rentals will get fixed first since it's costing BMW extra money. Makes sense to me.

Just wanted to give the guys with the affected vehicles a heads up.
Funny I called BMW Group Canada and they told me I just had to wait. Not happy that I'm driving around with faulty airbags and now this while used 1ers are for sale at the dealerships which I'm sure were given the fixes already.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #69
Diamondblackcars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Coupe

UK owners can "Search for Vehicle Recalls" on the "Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency" website.

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp

You can find your vehicle "Production Month" at RealOem if you insert the last last 7 digits of your VIN.

RealOEM.com: Select Your BMW Model
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/select
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #70
mbroeth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Has anyone heard of a 06 (not included in the recall) having the PCV catch fire? Mine did last night. I was able to put it out before it damaged anything but the PCV itself but I'm a little upset that I have the one year that didn't "need" a recall and it happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #71
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Woah! Definitely call or email BMWNA and submit a report to the NTSA if you can...
Glad you caught it and are unhurt. I was at a scrap yard today picking up used parts for a retrofit I'm working on... One of the cars I've been pulling parts from is a 2017 X3 that had an engine fire and it looked really bad.
Appreciate 0