E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > White/blueish SMOKE! HELP

11-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #1
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

White/blueish SMOKE! HELP

Hi,

having a nightmare with 330d, it is 06 e90, 151K miles, remapped (unsure by who).. ran fine throughout summer, no smoke unless on boost when pulling away. There is no power issues or concerns, pull likes a train, just a bit more smokey and noticeably at idle and when revving while still (in park). sometimes looks like a chimney! just this constant light smoke on idle rising up!

Now is has become cooler, it is smoking at start up and when on low revs stood still (throttle blips etc). Sometimes it smokes at idle, but that is only after being driven hard. Today I noticed the idle flux and jump around a little bit.

I've ordered INPA and will be checking the ECU, but have not found any faults on my three ecu readers, but they are universal.

In the summer I changed all glow plugs, checked the CCV (slight bit of oil) and blanked the swirl flaps.

I checked the MAP to turbo pipe and found wet oil from the crank breather (I have vortex) there is no play in the turbo.

I've ran fuel treatments through and I think that improved the torque, used Forte.

I have two other issues - Temperature takes forever to get to 91c, it was about 1.5 hours and 50 miles. normally sits at around 70-80c

I have a thumping under the bonnet from the EGR which I believe is the pressure sensor, thumping is more noticeable from the exhaust.

Annoyingly, I need the MOT done next month or it will be off the road, so any advice will be appreciated on the faults.

I will be checking the CCV this weekend and hopefully running INPA and DIS through the ECU.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Check your coolant. 9 times out of 10, inconsistent white smoke from a 335D is an internally cracked EGR cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Check your coolant. 9 times out of 10, inconsistent white smoke from a 335D is an internally cracked EGR cooler.

I have checked it a few times and not losing any coolant. It is also the 330d, not the 335d.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking to Buy

Valve cover gasket?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
Valve cover gasket?
That would've been my first guess if OP had an M57. But since he has an N57 with a different head, there's less of a chance of the VCG being the culprit since the swirl ports don't go through the valve cover on that motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
That would've been my first guess if OP had an M57. But since he has an N57 with a different head, there's less of a chance of the VCG being the culprit since the swirl ports don't go through the valve cover on that motor.
Pretty sure the e90 330d was m57.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You are correct. Only facelifted E90 330d's (2008-onwards) were fitted with the N57. I must've mis-read the original post and missed that it was a 2006 model which means that it does in fact have an M57.

In which case, I agree with you: the valve cover gasket is the leading suspect.

Apologies to OP for any confusion I may have caused by my poor reading skills.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, what is the VCG?

I have banked the swirl flaps, didn't cause any issues when I completed it in summer.

Unsure what is meant here

Thanks,

Tim
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, I think I should add, the smoke is coming out of the exhaust. Not from the engine bay.

is it normal to have some wet oil from the crank case breather pipe that connects to the intake pipe? Car has the vortex.

My car has a slightly rough idle at start, could this be the relay? I have already changed the plugs, just not the relay.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
Hi, what is the VCG?
VCG = valve (rocker) cover gasket. See this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...e+cover+gasket

On most engines most of the time, a failed VCG leads to an external oil leak. But because of the swirl ports passing through the valve cover on the M57, a failed VCG can lead to oil being pushed into the combustion chamber via the swirl ports, and thus, blue smoke out the exhaust. The age and mileage of your car makes the VCG ripe for replacement.

As far as your rough idle at start goes, I'm assuming the "relay" you're referring to is the glow plug relay (aka glow plug controller aka preheating control unit). If so, then yes, that could be your culprit. You mentioned low water temps in your original post -- this indicates a thermostat that is stuck open. A normally functioning thermostat will maintain a water temp of 88 deg C. Low water temps seem to always lead to burned out glow plug controllers (on the theory that the controller is staying switched on for far too long.) The point of all this is to say: replace your thermostat too.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Checked the car on DIS and INPA.

Number of faults under DDE

Fuel filter
Fuel temp sensor
Glow plug 1 and 2
Air temp
Boost pressure sensor

Changed fuel filter 2 years ago. Probably needs a change.

Any thoughts?

Maf has only logged once, which is probably where I unplugged it when running.

Strangely they all but fuel temp sensor say fault not present. Therefore is the fault the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Deleted codes and three came back pretty promptly.

Glow plug 1 and 2 both showing as fault present/open circuit
Fuel temperature sensor - fault present/short ground to circuit.

Live data for the temperature shows it is stable at 20c then suddenly goes to 50, or 100c for a split second. More frequently when the car’s idle is rough when started up. Once the rough idle is gone, it stabilises more, with the odd flutter.

Could the glow plug relay be causing this? If is is damaged could it be surging through the wiring loom.

Other code which has come back, which could be unrelated - DSC system voltage too high - showing as not present, but must have triggered.

All six plugs were changed this year about 6 months ago, or
Less.

This Gasket, how can I check this? I will whip the intake off next weekend.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Cleaned the sensor up for the fuel temp and that’s resolved. But still smoke.

Used INPA to check injectors and would like peoples thoughts please.

This is on my YouTube

Have two other videos if you could have a look.

My air mass sensor seems to be running wild from the looks of it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #14
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

To update this:

Turbo has been changed
Valve cover gasket - did show signs of oil sealing under the seal. It was extremely brittle and hard like plastic.
Compression test - 370-390psi cold test with all plugs removed. Dry test.
Egr resolved

Only one fault left, the fuel filter heater. It’s 18-21c here at the moment and smoke has been steady since it was discovered.

I’ve cleaned the injectors and throughly cleaned the egr.

Leak back test complete and results were:

Leak back - idle 6 mins
Cyl 6 18ml (3ml)
Cyl 5 16ml (2.6ml)
Cyl 4 16ml (2.6ml)
Cyl 3 same as above
Cyl 2 15ml (2.5ml)
Cyl 1 18ml (3ml)

5 mins cycle
6 - 14ml
5 - 13ml
4 - Same “
3 - 11ml
2 - 14ml

Only things left to check is turbo return pipe for blockages and crank case breather. This continues to have wet oil in.

Other than above, what else could this be?

Valve seals?????

Smoke appears to be better with map unplugged, but need to carry out more tests. The black smoke is 90% better. Blue still remains.

Blue smoke gets thicker as it warms up and more obvious. A few flicks of the throttle and it clears. But, it it’s smoking at idle and your hold revs at 3k you get a screen of smoke which continues for over 30 seconds. Need to time how long until it passes though.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
ranthum
Private First Class
Rep

I would have recommended the CCV and turbo oil return lines, but you already have those on your list. White smoke (fuel) can be from a bad tune, but the tune shouldn't affect oil.

Are you losing a lot of oil? How often do you have to top off?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranthum View Post
I would have recommended the CCV and turbo oil return lines, but you already have those on your list. White smoke (fuel) can be from a bad tune, but the tune shouldn't affect oil.

Are you losing a lot of oil? How often do you have to top off?
hardly ever top up, but then I don't cover lots of miles and no where is bloody level where I live. So always difficult to check levels.

Will be checking return pipe this weekend coming. However, to add to this, yesterday it appears that my idle smoke disappeared, but did get a few puffs after some WOT pulls. So will check CCV breather pipe and see whats coming out.

Will check again later to see if I can see any smoke on idle etc. Just hard as when I am home I have an 1.5 hours before the sun is gone.
Appreciate 0