E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > SwissVax Leather Care Kit just arrived

09-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 G37S Loaded

SwissVax Leather Care Kit just arrived

So I ordered my Swissvax leather care kit from Amazon and it arrived today.

Inside is:
Leather Cleaner
Leather Milk
Cotton Towel
Brush
Terry Cloth applicator pad
Elephant Leather Preserver

This stuff cost me 115$, but I figure if I have the Dakota leather I might as well take care of it.

Can anyone help with the tips and tricks of how to use this stuff? Especially the Elephant Leather Preserver?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
AndyzDad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Lol.. keep us posted on how good is it. PS love the e90post page in the browser.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyzDad View Post
Lol.. keep us posted on how good is it. PS love the e90post page in the browser.
Its really most of my morning at the office. Working on my expense report as well, hence the pile of receipts in the background haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I look forward to hearing how you like everything. You are surely right about the price: might as well take good care of your baby and keep in mind that having to repair a single section of your leather is much more expensive than what you spent on this kit.

Swissvax is known to make some high dollar luxury goods that many people fall in love with. While they're also known for doing a lot of marketing hype, take into account if their stuff was garage, people wouldn't use it. Let's see if someone with experience with these particular products can come give you some pointers.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

The elephant preserver is only for extremely dry leather... I'll write a more detailed reply once I'm home, I'm on an outcall now...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
The elephant preserver is only for extremely dry leather... I'll write a more detailed reply once I'm home, I'm on an outcall now...
Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i want to get this as well i wonder what it smells like though?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i want to get this as well i wonder what it smells like though?
Well, from what I can tell before application the Leather Cleaner smells like water, with a slight hint of cleaner (almost like watered down windex) and a possible slight citrus undertone...

The leather milk smells just like a bottle of Meguiars gold class liquid wax... Almost exactly.

The elephant leather preserver smells like nothing at all, well, it smells of aluminium (the tin its in) literally the only odor I can pick up.

All together im thinking it will smell exactly like "New Car" smell from the factory (not the air freshener.)

Quite pleasant actually.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsf83 View Post
Well, from what I can tell before application the Leather Cleaner smells like water, with a slight hint of cleaner (almost like watered down windex) and a possible slight citrus undertone...

The leather milk smells just like a bottle of Meguiars gold class liquid wax... Almost exactly.

The elephant leather preserver smells like nothing at all, well, it smells of aluminium (the tin its in) literally the only odor I can pick up.

All together im thinking it will smell exactly like "New Car" smell from the factory (not the air freshener.)

Quite pleasant actually.
ah that sounds good ive been using z9 and z10 which makes your car smell just like the day you picked it up, but i want to try something new now. I'm gonna be placing my order for this next week probably.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
ah that sounds good ive been using z9 and z10 which makes your car smell just like the day you picked it up, but i want to try something new now. I'm gonna be placing my order for this next week probably.
I used my amex points through amazon to pay for it, so it didnt actually cost me anything. Worked out well
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just wish I could afford the entire kit, but thats a little rich for my blood....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Ok, so to start...

It's a fairly simple process...

Start by vacuuming all the leather surfaces to be cleaned.

When using Swissvax Leather cleaner, remember you DON'T have to use a lot of product! A 250mL bottle usually lasts me about 2-3 normally soiled leather interiors. For example, on one of the mid sections on the seat bottom i use about 3-4 sprays and make sure i spread it very well with the leather brush.

Work one section at a time and use the white cotton towel to wipe off the cleaner after you have agitated the area. Do not let the cleaner sit too long after agitating, because the soil may go back into the pores of the leather as the cleaner evaporates.

Next comes the Leather Milk. You are going to apply this using the terry applicator pad. For the initial application to the pad, I usually make a thin circle around the outside of the pad and sort of smear it around the pad with my finger. Only apply as much as is needed to create a uniform and no-spot-missed finish. You don't have to apply a lot, and more is not necessarily better and will take longer to dry. a 250mL bottle of leather milk should last about 8-10 normal leather interiors (Seats, door inserts, armrest, steering wheel, shift knob), so use it accordingly.

once leather milk is applied, leave the leather untouched for 1-3 hours, or until the surface turns matte. It should leave your interior smelling of a Gucci store or something like that...

Don't worry about the elephant preserver, as that is geared more towards older, dry, or neglected leathers.

BTW, I'll be over in san francisco at the end of the month...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

How about the leather glaze?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
How about the leather glaze?
That would go on after Leather Milk...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
That would go on after Leather Milk...
Is it any good? Is kind of a wax for the leather?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #16
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so to start...

It's a fairly simple process...

Start by vacuuming all the leather surfaces to be cleaned.

When using Swissvax Leather cleaner, remember you DON'T have to use a lot of product! A 250mL bottle usually lasts me about 2-3 normally soiled leather interiors. For example, on one of the mid sections on the seat bottom i use about 3-4 sprays and make sure i spread it very well with the leather brush.

Work one section at a time and use the white cotton towel to wipe off the cleaner after you have agitated the area. Do not let the cleaner sit too long after agitating, because the soil may go back into the pores of the leather as the cleaner evaporates.

Next comes the Leather Milk. You are going to apply this using the terry applicator pad. For the initial application to the pad, I usually make a thin circle around the outside of the pad and sort of smear it around the pad with my finger. Only apply as much as is needed to create a uniform and no-spot-missed finish. You don't have to apply a lot, and more is not necessarily better and will take longer to dry. a 250mL bottle of leather milk should last about 8-10 normal leather interiors (Seats, door inserts, armrest, steering wheel, shift knob), so use it accordingly.

once leather milk is applied, leave the leather untouched for 1-3 hours, or until the surface turns matte. It should leave your interior smelling of a Gucci store or something like that...

Don't worry about the elephant preserver, as that is geared more towards older, dry, or neglected leathers.

BTW, I'll be over in san francisco at the end of the month...
Thanks! I did a full interior detail today, and washed the outside, quik detailed it with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. Its only been a month since my last full detail, so the car is looking sharp after the touch up.

I tried out the Leather cleaner and milk today, pictures coming stat.

What brings you out to SF?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Bobby Pynes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just did the drivers seat.

Well, my fiance was cooking dinner, so I had about an hour to try out the Swissvax.

I decided to do the drivers seat, drivers door, and center console.

I started out with the swissvax Leather cleaner and the leather brush.

I went section by section with 2-4 sprays of the leather cleaner followed by gentle circular agitation with the leather brush. Immediately I noticed a difference, the leather cleaner was pulling all of the Indigo that had rubbed its way into the leather from my jeans. My fiance works in fashion and always brings me deep dark dye indigo "Salvage" denim jeans, so they have a habit of leaving indigo everywhere. I wiped the cleaner off in one direction gently with some Surgical Lint Free Towels I picked up last month. Already I started noticing a difference.

Once the leather cleaner was dry I took out the circular applicator pad and went about applying the leather milk. I started by shaking the bottle vigorously as if i was making a martini, remember there are organic compounds in this product so some shaking is necessary.

I applied the leather milk as described in a circular motion on the pad and spread it evenly with my fingers. I worked on the butt portion of the seat first, evenly spreading the milk across the leather and pressing it into the grooves. Reapplying slight amounts of product as needed.

Once I was finished I was absolutely amazed. This product is worth every single penny....

The first photo, is the passenger seat, which gets alot less action, but is there for comparison.

This photo below, is the drivers seat after application and around 1.5 hours of drying time.

As you can see, the difference is night and day.

Also the interior smells just like a brand new car, Or perhaps the smell when you walk into a louis vuitton store... It brought out the original beauty of the dakota leather, even my fiance who cares less about cars, noticed a difference.

Perfection
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Glad to see another person "Enlightened" with Swissvax.

LOL!

Pics look great!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Is it any good? Is kind of a wax for the leather?
Sort of... Works like Leather Masters Protection Cream, but lasts longer...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
What da, you get your stuff delivered to your work? lol

I was thinking about ordering this but after reading a lot post from people who have had their cars for 4+ yrs most of them said that its still very good using various brands of leather cleaner/conditioner. Most common was Zaino, which I have.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
pucsicsal
SEO1
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Super thread revive. I just received my SwixxVax leather kit and will be doing it this weekend!

I saw several mentions of Zaino on here and had to jump in. I tried that before on my other car and I didn't like it. 1) it over-softens leather, difficult to describe but the heated seat wires became a lot more visible and I didn't care for that at all 2) the smell is too much and not really a leather smell at all. My E92 M3 with extended Novillo leather smells much better and more natural than Zaino which is an artificial harsh smell. Try sitting in a fully loaded 7 or 5 series at the dealer and compare that real leather smell with Zaino, way different. This SwissVax stuff though is awesome and just brings back the original smell which is why I purchased after seeing a friend use it. Cheers!
Appreciate 0