E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW Clubsport OR TC Kline w/Swift

10-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #45
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

Kw now offers a custom package for those with a full m3 suspension. It combines the front regular e9x clubsport coil over with the m3 rear clubsport coil over. Spring rates are 400/800. Only way to get this package before was to order two kits or parts individually. Highly recommended. Best suspension setup out there except perhaps for triple adjustable ast or motion / ohlin etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #46
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Just a little feedback. The ride comfort using Swift Springs is incredible, but the 'smooth as stock' feeling is only for the front driver and passenger. Less so for the rear passengers.

I've had my setup for >1 year, but did not realize until recently (a couple months ago), that many of my friends complained at how harsh the ride was in the rear passenger seats. Certainly better than expected, but still a LOT harsher than stock was their feedback. Whereas the front was as comfortable as stock, the passengers complained they felt every jolt in the rear. They would not want to ride long distance in the rear.

I'm running KW V3 w/ Swift (336/672 - dampening 3 from firmest front / 9 from firmest rear).

I was really surprised by the feedback. It's really interesting because we in the front feel the ride is as smooth as stock (LOVE IT!)

So keep this in mind. By going to 800, the front ride quality will still be good, but the rear passenger ride quality will definitely be even harsher. Do you want to trade off by setting your rear dampeners even softer?

Looking to hear more supporting statements from other Swift spring owners. Like I mentioned, we drivers don't get to sit in the rear that much, so this is probably why the feedback has been limited up until now.

Please have your front passenger move back to the rear passenger seat, or have someone drive your car and perform the experiment yourself. Or maybe the other way would be cooler. Have them start in the back, and then move to the front to 'wow' them with your Swift setup
How often are these passengers in the back of your car? They would need have a fair amount of seat time in the rear to know how your car used to and now rides.

Something else to consider, with a couple of passengers in the back seat, you may be running out of compression travel and be very close to the bump stops in the rear. It's okay to be on the bump stops as most are of a progressive nature and were design that way. By going to 800R, your rear seat passenger may experience less "harsher" ride since it will take more load to compress a 800R than a 672R, thus less likely chance of hitting the bump stops.

I don't know where your rear ride height may be, but you shouldn't be much lower than stock...1/2" to 3/4" lower than stock in the rear is max. 1" or more, you just took away most of your bump travel.

Edit: What did your passenger mean by "jolt"? If they are feeling the rear being very bouncy, there is another possible cause. The rubber lower shock saddle, upper shock mounts and subframe bushings..when these deflects, what controls them, nothing! Your rear shocks are mounted between the shock mounts and the rubber lower saddle, the shocks don't start to work until these two components reaches max deflection, your passenger may feel that. Rear subframe deflection may feel like a "jolt" as well since there is nothing slowing down the deflection.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 10-28-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #47
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcusick View Post
Kw now offers a custom package for those with a full m3 suspension. It combines the front regular e9x clubsport coil over with the m3 rear clubsport coil over. Spring rates are 400/800. Only way to get this package before was to order two kits or parts individually. Highly recommended. Best suspension setup out there except perhaps for triple adjustable ast or motion / ohlin etc.
KW finally did this after numerous inquiries from us as we did a few KW kits this way. Why they wouldn't sell just the struts and shocks is still disappointing.

And they finally figured out that 400F and 800R is near the ideal set-up? I wonder where they got that idea from?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #48
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

We are using a bit of a special setup from Harold, with 600/900 spring rates on the E93. Car rides like stock only with no body roll.

I would go TCK or AST.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 04:58 AM   #49
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
We are using a bit of a special setup from Harold, with 600/900 spring rates on the E93. Car rides like stock only with no body roll.

I would go TCK or AST.

Great to see that both my installer and vendor are on here talking about what has been pretty much a decision I have been back and forth on for about 6 months...

Matt, i thought Harold mentioned the M3 setup u did was 450/900...i know the e93 is way heavier but are u sure its a 600 up frnt? what is the e93 running ASTs, TCKs?

Also did u happen to ask ur e93 customer if i could check out his setup in person whenever hes around again? Let me know..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #50
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
KW finally did this after numerous inquiries from us as we did a few KW kits this way. Why they wouldn't sell just the struts and shocks is still disappointing.

And they finally figured out that 400F and 800R is near the ideal set-up? I wonder where they got that idea from?
+1 too funny>>...def convinced on the 400/800 spring rates, but Harold are you still of the mind that the AST singles are the way to go for my particular set up (mostly street - little to no track)...there are more and more choices now out there..

AST....KWs...Konis

What are your thoughts? Matt feel free to chime in as well...THX
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #51
rcusick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

I have an e93. 400 /800 spring rates are pretty balanced. Fear would be understeer with more than 400 lbs in front. You might think of going to a non staggered tire setup with higher spring rates in front. I try to keep understeer to a minimum because with top down weight in back adds significntly to understeer in an already balanced car (wi top up).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #52
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
+1 too funny>>...def convinced on the 400/800 spring rates, but Harold are you still of the mind that the AST singles are the way to go for my particular set up (mostly street - little to no track)...there are more and more choices now out there..

AST....KWs...Konis

What are your thoughts? Matt feel free to chime in as well...THX
Yes, AST 4100s is fine for a daily driver. Even taken to a track day or two, they will return very good track performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #53
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I would go TCK or AST.
These TCK's were custom valved with 50% more damping forces in both compression and rebound, and can take just about any reasonable spring rates you throw at it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #54
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
These TCK's were custom valved with 50% more damping forces in both compression and rebound, and can take just about any reasonable spring rates you throw at it.
Oh i c...so a 600/900 is not out of the ordinary for these b/c they are custom valved..was wondering b/c it seemed to be an extremely high spring rate..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #55
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep

Yeah I forgot to mention they were custom valved from Harold..thanks for reminding me

The Koni DAs were extremely hard to come by...Harold said they are usually backordered indefinitely thru TCK due to the similarity between BMWs..fronts are used in E36 Ms and rears are E46 M/Z4M, so all the racers use them. So when he said he managed to get a pair of fronts freshly rebuilt and new rears, I jumped on the opportunity.

The spring rates were used to combat the extra weight of the E93...which with driver is topping 4000lbs...and with the top down a lot of that weight is now sitting over the rear axle.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #56
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I forgot to mention they were custom valved from Harold..thanks for reminding me

The Koni DAs were extremely hard to come by...Harold said they are usually backordered indefinitely thru TCK due to the similarity between BMWs..fronts are used in E36 Ms and rears are E46 M/Z4M, so all the racers use them. So when he said he managed to get a pair of fronts freshly rebuilt and new rears, I jumped on the opportunity.

The spring rates were used to combat the extra weight of the E93...which with driver is topping 4000lbs...and with the top down a lot of that weight is now sitting over the rear axle.

4000lbs!!! wow..

Matt please keep me in mind, when your e93 customer is gonna be around ur shop...I'd really like to check out the setup,,,its Gio btw..THX
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #57
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

What would you guys say is a good setup for a daily driver in a country with bad roads?

Never track but I do like to drive in a spirited way from time to time

I'm pretty convinced on these AST 4100 but I require a custom spring to put in with the order right?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #58
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Frost View Post
What would you guys say is a good setup for a daily driver in a country with bad roads?

Never track but I do like to drive in a spirited way from time to time

I'm pretty convinced on these AST 4100 but I require a custom spring to put in with the order right?
If you are planning to do the m3 rear subframe bushings then i think the Swift 400/800 springs will be perfect, if not u may want to go with a slightly softer spring in the rear..maybe a 700. I think the trick is going to be not to lower the car too much..Im in NY and some of the roads are terrible here too, I'm planning to lower the car only slightly.

Harold can definitly be of more help with your set up and with what you need based on your goals and other mods..

Last edited by tibra1; 11-03-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #59
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
If you are planning to do the m3 rear subframe bushings then i think the Swift 400/800 springs will be perfect, if not u may want to go with a slightly softer spring in the rear..maybe a 700. I think the trick is going to be not to lower the car too much..Im in NY and some of the roads are terrible here too, I'm planning to lower the car only slightly.

Harold can definitely be of more help with your set up and with what you need based on your goals and other mods..
Would the m3 rear subframe bushings just make the ride stiffer? Or am I looking at another advantage, etc? While I do enjoy having a nice tight, responsive ride, I just donīt want to have that harsh ride (mostly due to the coilover setup I ran) I had on my previous e46 330ci.

I also forgot to mention something really important. Iīm going to be running a VERY aggressive 20" wheel setup so I need something that while being comfortable, doesnīt have a lot of rebound (not sure if thatīs what you call it) so that if I take a hard turn, etc I wonīt rub or at least too much...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #60
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Would the m3 rear subframe bushings just make the ride stiffer? Or am I looking at another advantage, etc? While I do enjoy having a nice tight, responsive ride, I just donīt want to have that harsh ride (mostly due to the coilover setup I ran) I had on my previous e46 330ci.

I also forgot to mention something really important. Iīm going to be running a VERY aggressive 20" wheel setup so I need something that while being comfortable, doesnīt have a lot of rebound (not sure if thatīs what you call it) so that if I take a hard turn, etc I wonīt rub or at least too much...
They are just stronger bushings will def make the car feel more planted...no rubbing of anykind check out the pic..#2 and #3 there r four in total

Name:  Rear Carrier.png
Views: 1382
Size:  20.2 KB

Its literally controls the rear suframe movement

Personally i think using the m3 bushings is a huge advantge the stock bushing are too sloopy..the only thing it is alot of labor..but while ur in there u can get to the sways and the other arms and go for the entire m3 suspension..

How harsh it will ride will depend more on the spring/shock set up u go with..but i would imagine on 20s u can feel everything...match up the right springs with the right dampers.

Last edited by tibra1; 11-04-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #61
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Good way to put it!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #62
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
Just a little feedback. The ride comfort using Swift Springs is incredible, but the 'smooth as stock' feeling is only for the front driver and passenger. Less so for the rear passengers.

I've had my setup for >1 year, but did not realize until recently (a couple months ago), that many of my friends complained at how harsh the ride was in the rear passenger seats. Certainly better than expected, but still a LOT harsher than stock was their feedback. Whereas the front was as comfortable as stock, the passengers complained they felt every jolt in the rear. They would not want to ride long distance in the rear.

I'm running KW V3 w/ Swift (336/672 - dampening 3 from firmest front / 9 from firmest rear).

I was really surprised by the feedback. It's really interesting because we in the front feel the ride is as smooth as stock (LOVE IT!)

So keep this in mind. By going to 800, the front ride quality will still be good, but the rear passenger ride quality will definitely be even harsher. Do you want to trade off by setting your rear dampeners even softer?

Looking to hear more supporting statements from other Swift spring owners. Like I mentioned, we drivers don't get to sit in the rear that much, so this is probably why the feedback has been limited up until now.

Please have your front passenger move back to the rear passenger seat, or have someone drive your car and perform the experiment yourself. Or maybe the other way would be cooler. Have them start in the back, and then move to the front to 'wow' them with your Swift setup
So are you still considering a spring rate change for the rears? Curious as I was debating what rear spring rate to get. 672 vs 728 vs 800.
      12-26-2010, 12:48 AM   #63
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep

Just wanted to share that I finally got my AST 4100s installed and set. Feedback? WOW.... am I running stock suspension? I mean the car feels GREAT... ok so I'm not gonna exaggerate but come on, this does not feel like a harsh coilover suspension setup! And I'm on 20" and BAD Panama roads.

I am IMPRESSED and couldn't be happier. I talked with Harold over the phone before buying these and I was debating the 672/728/800 as well but in the end, went with what most have.. 400 front 800 rear and I'm happy. I have the front set at 7/10 clicks and rear 9/10 clicks, thinking about going 10/10 on the rear since I will rub with a person in the rear but again, feels GREAT.

Thanks Harold and everyone who provides great feedback for others like myself!

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #64
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

I have kw clubsport and experience it slightly firmer than bmw sport suspension but not harsh at all. Definately better than zsp.
Default springs run perfectly on nordschleife (where it is meant to be) but are too soft for normal circuit, even with street tyres. Some tracks are ok, but on some tracks driving is difficult due to too soft springs.
Cannot get very much camber in front due to structure of plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #65
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to share that I finally got my AST 4100s installed and set. Feedback? WOW.... am I running stock suspension? I mean the car feels GREAT... ok so I'm not gonna exaggerate but come on, this does not feel like a harsh coilover suspension setup! And I'm on 20" and BAD Panama roads.

I am IMPRESSED and couldn't be happier. I talked with Harold over the phone before buying these and I was debating the 672/728/800 as well but in the end, went with what most have.. 400 front 800 rear and I'm happy. I have the front set at 7/10 clicks and rear 9/10 clicks, thinking about going 10/10 on the rear since I will rub with a person in the rear but again, feels GREAT.

Thanks Harold and everyone who provides great feedback for others like myself!

Car looks good! Glad to see you are enjoying the suspension! I need to push this on more customers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #66
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

The 400/800 spring rate combo is a great starting point for most cars. It will actually ride better on the street compared to say 400/700 since you are better matching the oscillations of the suspension.

And to correct some of the incorrect information. ALL KW springs are 61mm ID and KW sells their own race springs that you can play around with all day swapping springs. You can use a standard 60mm linear race spring from Swift/Eibach/Hyperco etc with some very easy to do lathe work on the spring perches. Not something most home mechanics can do but very easy to do for the well equipped shop.

The KW Clubsport springs out of the box are linear front and progressive rear. You can easily change the progressive rear to a linear rear.

KW V1, 2, 3 use a progressive front and rear spring that also share the same 61mm spring ID. Any KW race spring will drop right in or you can modify your perches as mentioned above.

Here is a shot of the rears on my custom KW Motorsport 2 way dampers. Notice that it uses the same exact spring perch as the KW Vx series. We just happen to have a KW Race spring in place.

Tomppa - you should be able to get at least 2.3 - 2.5 deg camber out of the front with the KW Clubsport camber plates out of the box. You may be using the incorrect bolt pattern on the top hat if you have less camber than that. You can to set them at factory caster and max out camber. If you notch the shocktower just a tiny bit you can get more. I'm at over 2.5 deg with my M3 suspension arms from Harold.

Here you can see how much room on the underside of the shock tower to get even more camber if you notch even further.

Here's where to notch if you're setting them up like I did. I would have welded those plates to the shock tower but the rules in Time Attack do not allow me to do so. They are there to help spread the load better and keep the shock tower from mushrooming which the BMW's are prone to.

Appreciate 0