E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > sterring pump XI

07-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
nicholaf
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

sterring pump XI

Power steering pump finally went at around 122k. Currently trying to replace myself, but it seems like its almost upside down when i compare to the Pelican Parts DIY. like a 120 degree turn in the worst direction.

Has anyone tackled this themselves/have any tips?

im dying out here.

Thanks,

Also my apologies for misspelling steering in the title. Im struggling.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/I2onNgj
      07-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
nicholaf
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

So I finished replacing the steering pump. Not super complicated once everything is found.

The n54 335xi MT had a different set-up than anything I found online. Undoing the Intake, Chargepipe, Fan, Diverter-valves, and Drive Belt were straight forward. But instead of the bolt (22mm) being on the bottom of the power steering pump, it is facing the right side. This was difficult to find/get to. there are lots of hoses in the way and there's not enough room to fit a socket on. A friend ended up cutting and welding a wrench at about a 100 degree angle, Which worked perfect. There were two Torque bolts in the front which were easy to reach. The only tricky one was the Bolt in the back. This involved getting back towards the hood and getting your head into the compartment (Removing the alternator is useless in this case, don't bother for this model). Once you locate the where the bolt is mounted it is simple to remove, it is just difficult to find at first. There is only one bolt in the back, not 3 like there are on other models (thankfully). As for the hose coming from the reservoir, I pulled the pump forward and the clip was easily removed.

I wish I knew this in the beginning it would have saved loads of time.

Hopefully this helps someone down the road.

Last edited by nicholaf; 07-10-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
ewicky204.00