E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 oil on engine cover

09-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Loza335i
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2007 e92 335i

N54 oil on engine cover

Hi guys,

New to the forum, loads of useful stuff on here.

Been wanting an n54 for ages and finally got one. May have bought a dog though.

I have oil appearing on top of the engine cover. Does anyone know where it may be coming from?

I've replaced rocker and oil filter gaskets and oil cap as it was leaking oil from everywhere but can't pinpoint the last (fingers crossed) oil leak.

Help much appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Well, that looks odd. That oil would appear to be drips from something/somewhere. Have you cleaned everything after replacing the gaskets and cap?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Loza335i
Rep

Yes, each time I clean it and after 20 mins drive this appears yet when I open the bonnet and rev at standstill nothing. Its as though a small pressurised leak but cannot locate. Grrrr
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:48 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Have you checked the under-hood cover to see if it's somehow got soaked with oil and is dripping down onto the engine cover and air box?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:09 AM   #5
Loza335i
Rep

The hood linings is dry. I took the engine covers off today warmed her up and got a friend to rev the engine and no sign of oil yet when I take it for a drive the oil appears again. There is oil in the vacuum lines and intake. I've ordered pcv valve and oil catch can but it does seem to be a very small high pressure jet of oil shooting out of somewhere. I've inspect the rocker cover and can't see any cracks.

Ps how do I post with previous persons comment in my post?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loza335i View Post
The hood linings is dry. I took the engine covers off today warmed her up and got a friend to rev the engine and no sign of oil yet when I take it for a drive the oil appears again. There is oil in the vacuum lines and intake. I've ordered pcv valve and oil catch can but it does seem to be a very small high pressure jet of oil shooting out of somewhere. I've inspect the rocker cover and can't see any cracks.

Ps how do I post with previous persons comment in my post?
You just hit the quote button on their post. Oil in the intake seems to be fairly common, even with a fully working PCV. I'd recommend installing a catch can to help with that, my cheapo eBay one is working well.

Is the oil not spraying from that line that connects to the oil filter cap? Or does that contain coolant? Maybe you could try wrapping all the hoses and connectors in shop towel and then it might give a better idea of where is leaking.
Appreciate 0