E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2011 335i Ticking/knocking

07-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #1
ZayLee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW 325i, 2011 BMW 335i

I'll try to keep this short, basically I trade my truck for this car (2011 335i xDrive, N55, automatic) and was told it had rod knock. I'm not convinced it's rod knock (I've heard it before in a Mazda and this sounds different) so basically I'm wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction. I've read tons of posts about rod knock, piston slap, lifters, injectors, and even one about a bad brake vacuum pump. There's a lot of options this could be. I've done an oil change, and unhooked the coil packs one by one to see if any of them changed the way it knocks. So far there hasn't been any significant difference (when unhooking coils the idle changes and the knocking adjusts with the idle but doesn't stop or get worse). I attached a link to a short YouTube video I posted of the sound, unhooked one coil to show the slight difference. Will have the VC gasket, oil pan gasket, and an engine brace Thursday, if no headway is made by then I'll be removing the valve cover and oil pan to check to see if I can find the problem. Any advice on things to check before then or tips for things to look for when doing them would be appreciated, thanks in advance. [IMG]https://youtube.com/shorts/NEJy0zqhWbk?feature=share[/IMG] https://youtube.com/shorts/NEJy0zqhWbk?feature=share

Edit* added a picture of the codes that are up right now (codes read through Bluetooth obd2 connector for MHD tune (stage 2) MAF is unhooked and sensor from intake to valve cover is unhooked, they are probably causing the first 3 codes)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0