E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Brake Caliper Paint Project

07-31-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Mixgasdivr
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Brake Caliper Paint Project

So, decided to do a completely cosmetic vanity project and paint my calipers on my Alpinweiss 2009 e92 335ix . After lots of reading different posts and thinking through the project, I bought the G2 Blue caliper paint and 4 new anti rattle clips. Originally, my plan was to paint the anti rattle clips blue like the calipers. Then I changed my mind and decided to shine up the new clips with my Dremel tool and spray them with heat tolerant clear enamel so they would look like chrome or very shiny silver, which I thought would look nice against the dark blue calipers.

But I felt like I needed some white next to the blue to tie the caliper into the white of the car, so I bought a high-temperature white spray paint from Home Depot and sprayed the clips.

The pics will probably be out of order, but you can figure them out. I was pretty meticulous about cleaning the calipers before painting, first using soapy water and a brush and then brake cleaner and a wire brush. I bought a cheap set of five small artist paint brushes because reviews of the G2 Caliper paint said their brush wasn't good for detail work...and those reviews were correct. Depending on how much of the caliper you want to paint, you will need smaller flat or angled brushes to get into crevices. I did not want to spend the time and effort for this and then have missing areas that could easily be seen, so I painted everywhere I could. I didn't mask anything off because I didn't think I needed to, and it worked out fine. I used about half the can of G2 paint for the 2 coats that I did. I would have done a 3rd coat but it was getting late and frankly I was happy with the job.

I love the way the white clips look, the blue is dark and I think would be difficult to notice (which is ok- I don't want something that screams "look at me") but the white clip kind of draws your eye, and then you notice the blue.

any questions, ask away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
cheerio143.50
Jritz33.50
Torgus3781.50
bman14278.00
      11-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
Leaftors
Rep
Drives: BMW x1 2017

Do you have a tutorial for the blue brake caliper